Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-07-2001, 12:48 PM

I just had my 73 455 completely rebuilt. The heads are #96, I installed an Edelbrock performer RPM cam, timing set, springs and intake. My engine builder said he thought better rocker arms should be used. I read the instructions that came with the cam and it stated H.P. rocker arms should be used. It also stated to only use stock ratio rocker arms and an adjustible valve train is required. I know I have to use sure locks (poly locks), but my question is can I get by with my factory rockers, if not any recomendations on factory ratio H.p. rocker arms. Once I have the rockers any suggestions on installing them. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:48 PM

I just had my 73 455 completely rebuilt. The heads are #96, I installed an Edelbrock performer RPM cam, timing set, springs and intake. My engine builder said he thought better rocker arms should be used. I read the instructions that came with the cam and it stated H.P. rocker arms should be used. It also stated to only use stock ratio rocker arms and an adjustible valve train is required. I know I have to use sure locks (poly locks), but my question is can I get by with my factory rockers, if not any recomendations on factory ratio H.p. rocker arms. Once I have the rockers any suggestions on installing them. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the stock 1.65 rocker arms for close to 20K on my 462 with no problems.Car ran 12.5@108 and saw 5500plus rpm alot! Cam was 244/252 @.050 .550".I also ran rhoads lifters. If you have the $ I would suggest roller rockers but if set up correctly the stock ones should last unless your cam is bigger and the spring pressure is extra high.

------------------
Too stubborn to do it the easy way. What else would I spend all my $ and time on?

Old 01-07-2001, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey! I would use comp cams roller tips for your app. They are nice pieces and not that expensive (I think $158 from Summit). They are listed as 1.52 ratio.

I believe Jim Hand tested out some rockers and found that some of the stock pieces were all over the board as far as ratings. (i.e. a 1.50 rocker was 1.4ish to high 1.48s and didnt get a 1.5 reading) im going off memory there. With the comp cam units you should have 16 1.52 rockers. The roller tip is also a plus.

You should be able to get by with the factory rockers tho. All a matter of what you want to do.

Hope this helps,

Kev

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO powered by a 389 with Trips
with 4 spd 13.042 @ 106.64 mph
with TH350 12.511 @ 106.91 mph ** NEW LOW!

Tin Indian Performance Rear Engine Dragster 7.66 @ 172 mph 494 with KRE High Port Heads

www.tinindianperformance.com
330-699-1358
Old 01-08-2001, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your input. I'll give summit a call. Roller rockers are kind of what I was thinking about. If I do get rollers is there anything special about installing them??

Old 01-08-2001, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey 2bad, I see you're in Lincoln. Omaha here. Anyway, I've looked at a variety of rockers and I've found a lot of variance in different brands. I ended up purchasing a set of full roller aluminum in 1.6 ratio from Nunzi. Nunzi carries the rockers, which are made by Crower, in 1.5, 1.55, 1.6 and 1.65 ratios. They run $300/set but the quality is outstanding. I have an extra I keep around as a paperweight. You can see one at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=1&res=high

I've found that the oil dripper get in the way and must be bent up but the rollers are self-oiling. Also, I purchased 1/4" cork valve cover gaskets from Nunzi. For $26/pr, they are great. No clearance problems at all. Any quality set of roller rockers come with poly-locks but you'll need 7/16" APR rocker studs. You'll have to make the valvetrain adjustable to make them work properly. If you need help installing them or anything at all email or call me.

What are you working on?

Old 01-08-2001, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the money Harland Sharp 1.5 is a good bet and can even be used with Roller cams. Change the studs to Big Block Chevy type for full adjustment. The Roller rockers come with polylocks.
BTW: If you want to go to 1.6, all it is. is the Ford 302 SBF rocker for 7/16" studs. I know this is the street section, but if you really want to get some lift under the curve, think about going from 1.65 to the Ford SB. 1.7 rocker... It adds approximately .020 in lift and gobs of quick lift. Later.

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://PontiacPower.cc

Old 01-08-2001, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be real curious why Edelbrock is telling you to use only stock ratio (1.5) rocker arms. Is it because the springs they supplied with their kit can't handle any more lift? Have your machine shop check out the springs for you, they should be able to tell you what max. lift you're safe to with those springs.

The Perf. RPM cam has a lobe lift of .3133". Multiply that by the rocker arm ratio to find what lift at the valve you'll see with a particular rocker arm. There are other springs out there (HO-Racing VS11 come to mind) that will allow you to go over .500" lift with the stock length valves. If you install longer valves or machine the spring seats you can safely run up to .560" lift with the right springs.

If you can do it, run the Harland Sharp "1.65" ratio rocker arms. These rockers are very reasonably priced, high quality, and the true ratio on them is closer to 1.7 than 1.65. That would give you .532" lift and nice, quick valve action.

Good luck!
-Will

Old 01-09-2001, 12:02 PM

I did some checking on Jeggs and Summit web site and found a couple sets of rockers, but they are for 7/16 studs. I have 3/8 studs. As far as the springs go I used the springs that Edlebrock recommended. Every thing is supposed to be matched together. Rocky I'm working on my verdoro green, black interior 68 lemans. 455, turbo 400, 12 bolt posi. I'm new to this engine stuff, so I'll probably be calling for assistance. You own a SD T.A. don't you?? again thanks for your assistance.

Old 01-09-2001, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2bad,

If you're using your factory rocker arm studs, they are only 3/8" where the adjusting nut goes. The body of the stud where the rocker arm pivot rides is 7/16". If you look at one of these studs you'll see that it's a "bottle neck" design where it necks down to a smaller diameter in the area of the threads.

I HIGHLY recommend you replace these with 7/16" straight studs. Several companies make them and they only cost about $50. With a high-lift cam and stronger than stock springs you stand a good chance of breaking the factory studs.

The Harland Sharp roller rockers come with Poly locks. I think most of the others do too.

I understand that you're using the springs that came in the Edelbrock kit. It still would be a good idea to have your machinist test them. He should be able to tell you what your installed hieght is, what pressure on the seat you have and what maximum safe lift is with the current setup.

Good luck!
-Will