Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Has anyone ever successfully installed a 4 speed hydro in a 64 Grand Prix.I would like to keep the hydro but not that sloppy roto.

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 01-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You will have to relocate the cross member, replace the driveshaft, pound the hell out of the transmission tunnel for more room, and install a Bonneville carpet… among other thing, but worth it.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Banshee,
Are you sure of this? Bonneville carpet? I have all of these cars in my wrecking yard and I cannot see a difference. I have put 400 thms in 3 '61-'64 Pontiacs now with no floor pounding. Have you done this personally? All the ones I have done, floor interference has not been a problem. I think the hydro shouldn't have problems with the floor. Anyone else? Curious as to why the floor has been an issue for some but, not for me. I drive my '61 everyday with 400thm and no floor problems. Anyone else besides me drive a '61 everyday? Steve www.pontiacheaven.org Real Pontiacs only.... No corporate nonsense!

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,I think he is talking about the 4 speed hydro that came in the bonnis and star chief,NOT a turbo 400?Tom

Old 02-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW- I am in process of putting a 73 455 long tail turbo 400 in a 62 Cat. I sat it all in and bolted down the motor mounts. When I raised the tranny end into the tunnel, the tunnel is (at the least) about 3/4" too narrow on each side for a distance of about 6" in length. This close area is about "halfway" back on the tranny. I marked where I needed to enlarge the tunnel. Then, winter came.
P.S. The tranny dipstick tube is too close to the firewall area right at the point where the plane of the firewall/floorboard intersects with the start of the tunnel's "bellhousing" area. Looks like that area will need about 1/2" of clearance made.
When I resume operations I am going to photograph all this area before and after so that I may be able to spare somebody the headaches of the in-and-out of their motors when they are tryting to figure out how it will fit. ( This will also relieve a lot of tensions with your wife who can never remember which chain on the hoist is up and which is down, not to mention educating her on use of a hoisting load equalizer.)