Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-29-2022, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Oil pan question

I have 3 oil pans to choose from for the 461 I am building for my 70 GTO. See the attached pictures. Middle one was on the matching numbers engine. Dirty one was on a 69 YD 400 out of a Catalina that was running in the GTO. Gold is Summit stock replacement. Note the Summit has the baffle and the stock pans do not. The Summit also has the side mounted drain plug like the original. I plan on using the Summit pan unless someone knows of any clearance issues mounting in the A body chassis. Depth appears same as the stock pans. Thoughts? Concerns?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221229_211105.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	604245   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221229_211242.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	604246  

Last edited by pontiacmark; 12-29-2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added attachments
The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacmark For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Summit.Tom

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Tom!

Old 12-30-2022, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmark View Post
I have 3 oil pans to choose from for the 461 I am building for my 70 GTO. See the attached pictures. Middle one was on the matching numbers engine. Dirty one was on a 69 YD 400 out of a Catalina that was running in the GTO. Gold is Summit stock replacement. Note the Summit has the baffle and the stock pans do not. The Summit also has the side mounted drain plug like the original. I plan on using the Summit pan unless someone knows of any clearance issues mounting in the A body chassis. Depth appears same as the stock pans. Thoughts? Concerns?
I thought the original oil pans had the drain plug in the center! My 69 has it there and most of the service replacement pans I've seen puts the drain plug on the side. This was the way we could always tell if the pan had been replaced.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Air IV Jack View Post
I thought the original oil pans had the drain plug in the center! My 69 has it there and most of the service replacement pans I've seen puts the drain plug on the side. This was the way we could always tell if the pan had been replaced.
In 1970 the drain plug was moved from the front to the side. That’s why the OP mentioned the Summit pan had the same drain plug location as his 1970 GTO pan.

The 1972-1/2 and later style baffled pans (the Summit pan) won’t lose oil pressure nearly as easily as the non-baffled pans under hard braking, that was a long overdue upgrade for sure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The 1972-1/2 and later style baffled pans (the Summit pan) won’t lose oil pressure nearly as easily as the non-baffled pans under hard braking, that was a long overdue upgrade for sure.
Agree, and any baffled pan does a better job with hard, high speed, right hand turn exit ramps. Mechanical Gages, you can see the oil pressure drop 15 psi on that type of turn (as the oil runs away from the oil pan pick-up).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use some oil resistant RTV between the pan and the cork gasket that goes over the rear main cap. Original pan had an indent to hold the cork in place where the summit pan doesn't have that feature.

baffled pan is nice. go summit

The Following User Says Thank You to 74Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
In 1970 the drain plug was moved from the front to the side. That’s why the OP mentioned the Summit pan had the same drain plug location as his 1970 GTO pan.

Yes, I did some research and found the original 64-69 oil pans had the center oil drain hole. As I mentioned, the service replacement pans when available had the oil drain on the side, so I thought if the drain hole wasn't in the center, the pan was replaced at some time. In these days of fraud, I've seen owners tell people about original engines that had never been touched. Then you look and see the oil drain hole on the side with 69 and earlier GTO's. Conversations get interesting after that.

Last edited by Ram Air IV Jack; 12-30-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Definitely the baffled pan

Old 12-31-2022, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The drain plug threads are weak on most aftermarket stock type replacement pans. If a factory oil pan that is in good shape is available and you can clean it properly, you are always better off with that. Also the factory pan may mate properly with the rear main cap pan seal recess. The replacement pans are designed for the worse design pan seal used from approximately 71-77ish.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clean up the stock pan, make a baffle and tack weld it in there. Not hard at all to do.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Clean up the stock pan, make a baffle and tack weld it in there. Not hard at all to do.
Agree 100%, I've removed several factory baffles out of damaged original oilpans & spotted them in straight '70-72 factory oilpans.

In regards to the reproduction oil pan, how many posts here on PY have addressed at least one line of repro oil pan, & the way they are formed in the front? I cant read every post, ESP in the Street Forum, but do know there have been many w clearance issues to the centerlink in certain chassis.

Old 01-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Grandville View Post
I would use some oil resistant RTV between the pan and the cork gasket that goes over the rear main cap. Original pan had an indent to hold the cork in place where the summit pan doesn't have that feature.

baffled pan is nice. go summit
On the topic of oil pan gaskets, I am a big fan of ditching the cork gasket(s) and using the 1-piece steel-reinforced rubber gasket sold by Butler (LINK). It has the little tabs that fit into the rear main "hump" section of the pan as seen on the Summit pan. I installed this gasket on my engine and it has been 100% bone dry everywhere. And being steel-reinforced rubber, it should hold up better than cork over time. Still not a bad idea to use a skim coat of RTV in that location either way, though.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 01-01-2023 at 02:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2023, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
On the topic of oil pan gaskets, I am a big fan of ditching the cork gasket(s) and using the 1-piece steel-reinforced rubber gasket sold by Butler (LINK). It has the little tabs that fit into the rear main "hump" section of the pan as seen on the Summit pan. I installed this gasket on my engine and it has been 100% bone dry everywhere. And being steel-reinforced rubber, it should hold up better than cork over time. Still not a bad idea to use a skim coat of RTV in that location either way, though.
Right now with my Steffs pan all I have is is two of the cork gaskets side by side at the rear main area, 3M weatherstrip sealant between them and the cap and The Right Stuff on top and everywhere else with no gasket.
Double crank scrappers so did not seem like there was enough room for a gasket.
First time for me so we will see how it all seals.
BOP one piece also.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Like Ol Pinion Head said, if the front half of the Summit pan is deeper than the original pan, you might have clearance issues with the center steering link

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to pont406 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 08:18 PM

It’s not like finding a good factory baffled pan is all that difficult, place a parts wanted ad and one will surely pop up.

Sell your non-baffled pans, I’ve sold several to guys looking for those pans to use on restorations. Straight non-rusty early oil pans sell for good money.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From experience..
Summit appears to be Miloden
The " gold dichromate " resists paint, yes even engine paint.
If you use one and want it to stay " blue" I would suggest bead blasting the bottom before you clean and paint/ use it.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It’s not like finding a good factory baffled pan is all that difficult, place a parts wanted ad and one will surely pop up.

Sell your non-baffled pans, I’ve sold several to guys looking for those pans to use on restorations. Straight non-rusty early oil pans sell for good money.
Interesting. I have a nice one sitting on my shelf along with both flavors of factory windage trays. I thought all of them were basically scrap metal.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports