Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just wondering.... Brakes

What was the first year self-adjusting brakes became available and what would the odds be at making this transplant to simplify life a little? I'm talking about '62 big cars.
Sure would be a nice little tweak if it is do-able.

Has anyone ever done this?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think self adjusting brakes showed up in 1963, so it would seem pretty simple to use those parts on a 1962 car.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 63 had self-adjusters on them.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont know about full sized cars but the 61-63 Tempests got automatic adjusters in 63

POCI.org
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking the same... Seems it would be easy to install a self-adjuster kit and eliminate some of the hassle. One other question.. Those self adjusting brakes were only on the rear, correct?

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into getting the parts together to give this a shot. I'm about due to go through the braking system on my car. Seems like a no brainer to add the self adjusters if they can be used.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 AM

Please keep us in the loop on how this turns out, any information is welcome

Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM

I have a 61 Catalina, brakes are the same as a 62. I bought complete self adjusting hardware kits off the internet for a 63 or 64 big car. It wasn't expensive and it was complete. Easy to install. The only modification I had to make was to grind new slots in the backing plates for the adjusting tool, as the adjusting wheels are in a different place. . Just get another set of rubber block off plugs so all slots are covered. Most all new shoes come oversize and finding someone with a brake shoe arcing tool is about impossible. Also the shoes come pretty uneven on the braking surface. They don't stop well at all. You can arc them your self by getting some sandpaper with a stick on back and sticking them on your drums after they are turned. Then run the shoes back and forth by hand on the sandpaper until they contact the drums properly and have no humps in the lining. It's a pretty easy job and the self adjusters work great. Just don't mix up right and left.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great advice on arcing the shoes with sandpaper glued to the drum, never thought of that!

Why not do self adjusters from a '63 on the rear and Scarebird discs up front?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
... It's a pretty easy job and the self adjusters work great. Just don't mix up right and left.
Wait, that confuses me! Are you referring the short-arc shoe, long-arc shoe distinction?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Abner is right about different auto adjust hardware from left to right. It is a mirror image thing.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah, HARDWARE! d'oh! ...I interpreted it as SHOES not adjusting hardware.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
I have a 61 Catalina, brakes are the same as a 62. I bought complete self adjusting hardware kits off the internet for a 63 or 64 big car. It wasn't expensive and it was complete. Easy to install. The only modification I had to make was to grind new slots in the backing plates for the adjusting tool, as the adjusting wheels are in a different place. . Just get another set of rubber block off plugs so all slots are covered. Most all new shoes come oversize and finding someone with a brake shoe arcing tool is about impossible. Also the shoes come pretty uneven on the braking surface. They don't stop well at all. You can arc them your self by getting some sandpaper with a stick on back and sticking them on your drums after they are turned. Then run the shoes back and forth by hand on the sandpaper until they contact the drums properly and have no humps in the lining. It's a pretty easy job and the self adjusters work great. Just don't mix up right and left.
Thanks for the info, LilAbner.... So if I wanted to avoid grinding or cutting the backing plate, another option would probably be locating 63 backing plates. With most everything else being interchangeable, I would infer the backing plate would be a bolt on replacement also. How about the e-brake? No issues there?

As for arcing the pads, I just lucked out and managed to get my hands on an arcing machine. I considered sanding the pads via the drums, but figured a few of my old car buds nearby might be interested in improving their old brakes too. It was $300 off Ebay.
Relatively cheap for decent brakes.

I'm going to start gathering up the necessary parts and put this at the top of my project list. Thanks again!

Kevin

Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm looking at the latest Ames catalog. Not seeing a complete kit listed for 63. Just the hold down stuff. Looks like Inline Tube might have everything and possibly the backing plates as well. The only other thing I can think to ask about might be the brake cylinders. If I were to replace the backing plate, would that cause any problems with the cylinders?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the wheel cylinders are the same for '62 and '63.

Also - Post a pic of said arcing machine!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt!

Sounds like this should be pretty painless if there's no pfutzing with the wheel cylinders and the e-brake.

I picked up the Ammco 8000 brake grinder off ebay for $350 including shipping. Noticed there were others asking $500 up plus shipping, so I feel like I got a deal. Also found a manual so I might actually know what I'm doing. Ha!

Should be here by the end of the week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ammco 8000.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	398168   Click image for larger version

Name:	ammco 8000a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	398169   Click image for larger version

Name:	ammco 8000b.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	398170  

Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now THAT is an interesting tool! Must add this to my list.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't breath the dust you're gonna make! You could have a nice little business arcing shoes there.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

misterp266,

I read up some on these machines. There's a fair lot of stories out the about old mechanics with lung disease from working on brakes and the dust. I'm going to use it outside wearing a respirator with it hooked up to a shop vac as well.

It's funny. A lot of friends that I mention arcing to, have never heard of it. They're interested once I tell them. You may be right!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first pic Kev uploaded looks like it has an exhaust/vacuum port for keeping the dust out of the user's face.

What does that weigh? Where was it shipped from?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wheel cylinders fit 1959-1964 and from 1965-1970.