Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-17-2024, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 9 inch does have it's weaknesses too. When running a stock center section, even the "N" case, they are prone to breaking the pinion bearing support. Doesn't take a ton of HP to do this. A decent running stick car with a good tire will do it. In severe cases the pinion ends up on the ground with the driveshaft still attached. But most of them I've seen were just broken inside on the small pinion bearing support and the pieces laying in the bottom. Those were probably on their way to dropping the pinion on the ground. Worked on quite a few with this issue.

The aftermarket cases pretty much cured that issue with more beef cast in that area and now I rarely ever see a problem there.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I guess I should have said aftermarket 9.3.

Since virtually no one has stock rear ended of either flavor much anymore due to age of this stuff.

I can tell you the 9.3 in my safari wagon is plenty stout.
But there are no factory pieces in it except the #200 series factory case.

What killed the 9.3” was production ceased due to cost and parts are still rather tuff to source as there’s really only one game in town for those left.

That Moser 12 bolt we just bought is plenty beefy the upper mount flanges look to be some 35% thicker plus some 1.5-1.75 taller than stock. It’s plenty stout.

But then at $5400.00 , I would sure hope it would be.
All of this stuff is getting really expensive to play with . But we are in a very small market.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

5400 seems insane to me when you can get this. not my money but wow!

https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...g-mounts.html/

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
in case anybody cares what a dana 60 looks like under a 65 ... and i am curious if anyone knows of a rear sway bar that will fit.
I have the S-60, and a rear bar from “HR Parts-N-Stuff”, but I’m not sure that they are still in business. Spohn, BMR , Detroit Speed and others make similar bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	628775  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following User Says Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
I have the S-60, and a rear bar from “HR Parts-N-Stuff”, but I’m not sure that they are still in business. Spohn, BMR , Detroit Speed and others make similar bars.
thanks and sweet ride!

Old 02-17-2024, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

Wow - how can the S60 be that much cheaper ? That’s the route I’ll go if I make up my mind for an aftermarket .

Old 02-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
Wow - how can the S60 be that much cheaper ? That’s the route I’ll go if I make up my mind for an aftermarket .
Part of the difference is from not comparing them equipped the same…brakes, carriers, ect.

I just looked at all this stuff a few weeks ago on our 68 GTO. So it is kind of fresh in my mind yet.

For an A body the basic QP 9”, some small upgrades for the heavier case, with no brakes or paint it is roughly $2200

For an A body, no paint or brakes the S60 is about $2800.

For an A body no paint or brakes the Moser 12 bolt seems to run about $3600.

You have so add some options to the QP9” to make it as strong as the S60. Internal gusset in the case, heavier housing, billet front support, and a back brace. Not all gear cases are equal either. Adding that stuff to make it stronger the 9” it is maybe $200 cheaper than the S60, but can actually be higher depending on the part used, and even slightly heavier. The S 60 is about 20 lbs heavier than the Moser 12 bolt. The lightest is going to be the QP 9” with an aluminum gear case, until you add the back brace, then it becomes about the same as the S60 weight wise.

There are some tricks to holding 9” rear ends for power. Like what Jones said in that post, they are not completely bullet proof like some claim. One friend a couple years ago sheared a pinion off on his aftermarket 9” case coming off the line at the strip and broke everything behind the engine, including the tranny case. $$$$!

The photo is an example of were the 9” will often break. Taken last year out on the highway by my place. Sent the driveshaft rolling across the highway. Most of us that have ran 9” very long have also broken a 9”. Big power guys set the pinion contact deeper because they put a lot of thrust forward on the pinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6DCA0B1C-E793-4908-BEB9-7A85A67CBD8A.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	628777  

Last edited by Jay S; 02-17-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.moserengineering.com/12-...d-package.item

we are not comparing apples to apples.

Old 02-17-2024, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stinger on the Moser 12 bolt is the extra $425 to put it under an A body. Plus the carriers are more expensive.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quick performance recommends upgrades on there 9” after 450 HP, another $600 disappears pretty quickly.

Old 02-17-2024, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Part of the difference is from not comparing them equipped the same…brakes, carriers, ect.

I just looked at all this stuff a few weeks ago on our 68 GTO. So it is kind of fresh in my mind yet.

For an A body the basic QP 9”, some small upgrades for the heavier case, with no brakes or paint it is roughly $2200

For an A body, no paint or brakes the S60 is about $2800.

For an A body no paint or brakes the Moser 12 bolt seems to run about $3600.

You have so add some options to the QP9” to make it as strong as the S60. Internal gusset in the case, heavier housing, billet front support, and a back brace. Not all gear cases are equal either. Adding that stuff to make it stronger the 9” it is maybe $200 cheaper than the S60, but can actually be higher depending on the part used, and even slightly heavier. The S 60 is about 20 lbs heavier than the Moser 12 bolt. The lightest is going to be the QP 9” with an aluminum gear case, until you add the back brace, then it becomes about the same as the S60 weight wise.

There are some tricks to holding 9” rear ends for power. Like what Jones said in that post, they are not completely bullet proof like some claim. One friend a couple years ago sheared a pinion off on his aftermarket 9” case coming off the line at the strip and broke everything behind the engine, including the tranny case. $$$$!

The photo is an example of were the 9” will often break. Taken last year out on the highway by my place. Sent the driveshaft rolling across the highway. Most of us that have ran 9” very long have also broken a 9”. Big power guys set the pinion contact deeper because they put a lot of thrust forward on the pinion.
Was that a stock 9" or aftermarket with a Daytona pinion support?

Old 02-17-2024, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
Was that a stock 9" or aftermarket with a Daytona pinion support?
Both.

The 9” that broke at the strip was an aftermarket case and Daytona pinion support, with a 550HP SBC in a Chevy S10.

The photo was a stock grey iron case behind a 455 Pontiac. After it broke you could see the pinion had been flexing were it broke, had been cracked for awhile, and there was not much holding it together anymore.

Stock the 9” were not strong at all. Even the sought after factory 9” N cases did not have enough pinion support, they broke often also. I have broke a stock grey iron 9” case with a inline 6 300 Ford in front of it. It broke the back support off, then split the case open, on top of that it then sheared the posi carrier in two. Kind of eye opening on stock stuff.

Old 02-17-2024, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Both.

Stock the 9” were not strong at all. Even the sought after factory 9” N cases did not have enough pinion support, they broke often also. I have broke a stock grey iron 9” case with a inline 6 300 Ford in front of it. It broke the back support off, then split the case open, on top of that it then sheared the posi carrier in two. Kind of eye opening on stock stuff.
Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about. It's a weak spot. Was pretty common to see in the 70's-80's when people were racing with stock 9 inchers they were pulling from junkyards and swapping in their street/strip cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 06:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One reason to run the new aftermarket rears is they're addressing a lot of the old issues they've seen and finding better solutions. They're not immortal but no reputable business wants to sell a $6k rear end and then get blasted that it broke on a 500hp launch out the gate.

We should start a thread on...
Aftermarket 12 Bolt and 9" rear ends, who's you got and whatcha breakin??

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 02-17-2024, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 9” would be a thread in itself, it has sooooooo many options. From a nodular Chineasium case to Mark Williams big pinion pro gear set up. The MW big pro ring gear and pinion alone is over $700!

Old 02-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a Strange 12 bolt in our 4th gen Camaro for years. 6-speed that ran 11's and I couldn't break it, was never worried about it. Eaton clutch style posi with 33 spline axles and big bearing ford housing ends.

Most of the 9 inch stuff I've been involved in admittedly has been stock housings with aftermarket center sections. Mainly the aftermarket center sections because as I mentioned the pinion support would always break with the stock stuff. Never had that issue with the aftermarket pieces.

The QP 9" my son bought for $3200 shipped is the first time I've dealt with a complete aftermarket piece with a larger beefier sheetmetal center piece, larger tubes with thicker wall, and I must say it's quite a bit heavier than the stock 9 inchers I have here. With it's aluminum aftermarket center section with through bolts that is extremely beefy, I think it's the last rearend my son will have to buy. I don't see him breaking it.

I've worked on Moser 12 bolts for a couple cars and have personally bought Moser parts and pieces. I tend to like Strange better. Quality is better, the casting of the housing seems a little better. They actually weld on your brake tabs where as Moser never did and I had to make them myself. Just little things like that I've noticed between them. That may have changed now I don't know. I quit dealing with Moser years ago after an axle fiasco we had that is a long story.

For the most part the cars we have here are original GM 12 bolts and I've had no issue making them live in 10 second cars as long as good parts are used inside and proper setup. Those 10 second cars are automatics though, much easier on things.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Mopar buddy put a Strange Dana in his Charger. Said the Strange over the factory style is easier to set up as has adjustable "spanners" like on a 9" for setting side to side vs spreading carrier and adding shims under the carrier bearings.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Stock the 9” were not strong at all. Even the sought after factory 9” N cases did not have enough pinion support, they broke often also. I have broke a stock grey iron 9” case with a inline 6 300 Ford in front of it. It broke the back support off, then split the case open, on top of that it then sheared the posi carrier in two. Kind of eye opening on stock stuff.[/QUOTE]

Jay, were you haul'n a load of hogs to market???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-19-2024, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post

Jay, were you haul'n a load of hogs to market???
HA! Spent many hrs as a youngster riding with my Dad in a 69 F150 with stock racks, hauling hogs to the Omaha stock yards!

The 9” that gave up was a 4x4 76 F150, I could have mentioned it was not a stock 300 Ford, I ripped both driveshafts off at the same time once too….

One of our cars has peeled the teeth off the ring gear on a Dana 60. The spanner’s Skip mentioned to set up the strange S60 make it a lot easier to set up!

Last edited by Jay S; 02-19-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple things to note:

The Moser housing center casting is stronger than a OEM 12 bolt.

Moser uses beefy caps.

Moser's powder coating is not cheap, just spray if with epoxy or engine enamel.

The Dynalite brake setup is basically for drag, and there are much better disc setups for less money. Just order the rear 1" narrowed on each side and use a different disc setup. (Like the one from Kore3).

If you're doing a Moser, add the 7900FM housing ends, you will be light years ahead.

With that said, I've had a few Moser 12 bolts. I recently ordered one, and sadly, the setup was sloppy, and the backlash allows the axle back & forth slop about an 1/16 of a turn. Not happy. Sure, they will fix it, but I would have to send it back.

That could have just been a fluke, everything I've ever gotten from them is spot-on, so...

I will be posting on my build thread an update that includes my Kore3 disc setup.

One thing that urks me about ordering from Moser is the fact that the invoice has no build info on it. I have to call them, ask them to give me the build info, and take notes. (Invoice attached)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MoserInvoice03.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	628999  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be