Old 08-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Way back in 1984 I was just 18 and living in Goleta Ca just N of Santa Barbara. It is a small ocean front community. I had no money and only worked at the local arcade part time. While walking to the beach one day I noticed a baby blue convertible in a garage that was open perminately but so much clutter inside. The car had so much stuff pilled on it I was unsure what it was exactly. I could see it was a bonneville but was unsure of the year. After knocking on the front door several times an short old lady appeared out of the darkness. I inquired about the car and asked if I could have a closer look. She said fine and she would be out in a minute. Still in her robe when she comes around the outside of the house she informs me it was her late husbands car. I asked if she would want to sell it? She says Oh you wouldn't want his old thing? I said sure. Its a nice old car. Come to find out its a 1964 bonneville convertible. Skyline blue I believe it's called with a white bench interior. As I remember not many options but who cares I don't have any money to buy it with anyway. So I ask what would you want for it? She says oh I don't know would $100 be alright? $100 I'm thinking I may be poor but I'm not stupid. I inform her that moneys tight buut I WANT the car. She says well would you be interested in mowing my yard? I say sure (I get to use her mower and gas) plus she'll pay me $20 each time! Hell the yard was only the size of a 2 car garage! By the end of the summer I had the car plus a whole $300 for a full restoration. The good old days. That was myfirst pontiac. I forgot to mention that her husband liked the bottle pretty well and had driven the car through the back of the garage twice! Only to go through the back yard around the block and park back in the garage, then go inside and fall asleep. Never knowing what had happened. The car ended up being towed away by the highway patrol along Hwy 101 south of Santa Barbara the next years as I was transporting it with a tow bar to my next crib and the rear wheel feel off and lodged its self up into the rear quarter. The car was a basket case as I moved right in the middle of working on the car. I never could aford to get it out of storage as the tow bill and storage fees stacked up quicker than I could make $. Ended up selling or giving away all the pieces of the old girl. Sad ending to a beautiful car. Still looking for a Skyline blue Bonne with that white interior. I've olny found one just like it since 1984 and it was too rusty. Thanks for reading...Steve

Old 08-13-2003, 08:56 AM

Way back in 1984 I was just 18 and living in Goleta Ca just N of Santa Barbara. It is a small ocean front community. I had no money and only worked at the local arcade part time. While walking to the beach one day I noticed a baby blue convertible in a garage that was open perminately but so much clutter inside. The car had so much stuff pilled on it I was unsure what it was exactly. I could see it was a bonneville but was unsure of the year. After knocking on the front door several times an short old lady appeared out of the darkness. I inquired about the car and asked if I could have a closer look. She said fine and she would be out in a minute. Still in her robe when she comes around the outside of the house she informs me it was her late husbands car. I asked if she would want to sell it? She says Oh you wouldn't want his old thing? I said sure. Its a nice old car. Come to find out its a 1964 bonneville convertible. Skyline blue I believe it's called with a white bench interior. As I remember not many options but who cares I don't have any money to buy it with anyway. So I ask what would you want for it? She says oh I don't know would $100 be alright? $100 I'm thinking I may be poor but I'm not stupid. I inform her that moneys tight buut I WANT the car. She says well would you be interested in mowing my yard? I say sure (I get to use her mower and gas) plus she'll pay me $20 each time! Hell the yard was only the size of a 2 car garage! By the end of the summer I had the car plus a whole $300 for a full restoration. The good old days. That was myfirst pontiac. I forgot to mention that her husband liked the bottle pretty well and had driven the car through the back of the garage twice! Only to go through the back yard around the block and park back in the garage, then go inside and fall asleep. Never knowing what had happened. The car ended up being towed away by the highway patrol along Hwy 101 south of Santa Barbara the next years as I was transporting it with a tow bar to my next crib and the rear wheel feel off and lodged its self up into the rear quarter. The car was a basket case as I moved right in the middle of working on the car. I never could aford to get it out of storage as the tow bill and storage fees stacked up quicker than I could make $. Ended up selling or giving away all the pieces of the old girl. Sad ending to a beautiful car. Still looking for a Skyline blue Bonne with that white interior. I've olny found one just like it since 1984 and it was too rusty. Thanks for reading...Steve

Old 08-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool story, I wish I could get lucky like that.