Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Throttle not opening completly

I can ADJUST my peddle to open more with the Lokar pedal and cable system. My question really being as you can see in the pic. The throttle on top the kickdown on the bottom. As I open the throttle even more it will be off center A lot more. Suggestions?? Thanks In adavance!! Great day to get out in the garage.

Last edited by 400 plus; 01-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Suspended

I would move the cable down to the spot where the bolt is just below the cable pivot right now. You can put your ball in the place where the bolt is & that will give you better leverage when you push on the pedel. Right now the cable is at an odd angle which is really to high & can be the problem of the throttle not opening all the way. Brining the cable lower on the arm of the carb will give you a better angle on the arm of the carb & pull it open farther so it will open all the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to rexs73gto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will try that tonite! Great having another set of eyes to look at something. That's got to be worth a couple tenths

Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Suspended

73 GTO i believe is right on need to lower pivot point. Curious whats the vacum line doing hooked to a bolt on the gooseneck& is that a ground wire hooked to the rear bowl?? Just a Temp. thing???

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser
Curious whats the vacum line doing hooked to a bolt on the gooseneck
Looks to me like it's a PCV hose going to a PCV valve in the valley cover,behind the thermostat housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser
& is that a ground wire hooked to the rear bowl??
Looks like a random wire just resting against the rear bowl,not bolted to it.

As for the throttle cable deal,I always strive to keep the cables parallel to each other & equidistant from the center pivot point.

Sometimes that means modifying the bracket,sometimes you have to juggle the arm/ball location for the cable on the carb,or at times both.

And the return spring(s) should also be fairly close to parallel w/the cables as well.

Having any of that @ wierd angles just puts undue stress on the throttle shaft/bushings and can lead to various problems (binding/wear/etc.).

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill I think I would cut the bracket and make it taller to line up with the top hole you are now using. Mike

Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Looks to me like it's a PCV hose going to a PCV valve in the valley cover,behind the thermostat housing.

Looks like a random wire just resting against the rear bowl,not bolted to it.

As for the throttle cable deal,I always strive to keep the cables parallel to each other & equidistant from the center pivot point.

Sometimes that means modifying the bracket,sometimes you have to juggle the arm/ball location for the cable on the carb,or at times both.

And the return spring(s) should also be fairly close to parallel w/the cables as well.

Having any of that @ wierd angles just puts undue stress on the throttle shaft/bushings and can lead to various problems (binding/wear/etc.).

FWIW

Bret P.
Hose to PVC in valley. YES Loose wire is for my Electric cut outs that needed rewired. This is all work that I STARTED before I found the CORE plug on the floor. Yeah maybe a longer carb bolt????

Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Suspended

The vac line looks as it may just be close to the water neck but if yoou look it goes under the intake possibly to a line at the back of the carb. But it's not connected to anything at the water neck.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I moved it lower and it really needs to be on the top hole for leverage. I will get another plate with dual holes. 1 for the throttle cable now that I will raise to top hole and the other I will put a bolt where the cable is now.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I raised the cable mounting bracket on mine to be about level with the bracket on the carb. Works well.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes!! Thanks EVERYONE!!!! Did make another bracket for up top and now its level AND the best part is throttle opens all the way. When does Norwalk open?????

Last edited by 400 plus; 01-15-2014 at 03:19 PM.