Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not my responsibility to make you learn.
I provided things for you.

I retired to keep from having to babysit people like you.

Do your own search.
Learn on your own if you want the knowledge.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Sounds like coating the chamber in aluminum heads would help make more power.

Sounds and does are two different things. So far we got one guy who payed $800 in an effort to improve his longevity/power....Anyone else?....I researched it and every guy that does it squirmed around and never answer "how much HP?". Then they said not to do it expecting hp.

I get good longevity without it. But I'm the same guy that runs 10/30 oil even though 0/20 is supposed to be worth like 10-15hp more.....

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
It’s a fact that an aluminum head dissipates (gets rid of) heat much faster than an iron head. The rapid heat loss from the combustion chamber results in reduced combustion chamber pressures (heat equals pressure); similar to the effect that lowering the compression ratio lowers cylinder pressure.

If no compression ratio increase is used, the power (HP) from the aluminum head will be less. (with the same cfm flowed on head)

So, usually the CR is increased to get back to the efficiency that was lost from the heat loss.
If the head also flows more it will gain even more HP.

WHOA!

Now if that heat is kept in the combustion chamber where it can make more HP and not being lost to the cooling/exhaust system, one could gain significant HP.

Sounds about like that coating piston tops/chambers argument.

Only if Stan or I didn't write it.

Kind of like I said before, I can lead one to the calculators/knowledge but I can't make him learn.

I have nothing against Stan. Or you really, other than.......

So Mr, Smart Calculator guy. Elarson's numbers are speculation on material and cooling temps for an overall average loss based on material temp alone. Now how much of that heat in the material was picked up from**ONLY** the power stroke. We have an exhaust stroke, certainly it is picking up heat during the ex stroke and that heat is useless for making power because those hot gases are no longer trapped and applying power to the crank. And then there is all the heat from friction, rings, valve springs etc..............And a lot of it!

Simply put, there is heat that you are going to put in the motor that does not relate to any of the heat losses **during **combustion. Even if some of that heat was a result of combustion.

So coat your calculator and shove it up your A$$

ph. 248-259-6696
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john marcella For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's not my responsibility to make you learn.
I provided things for you.

I retired to keep from having to babysit people like you.

Do your own search.
Learn on your own if you want the knowledge.

So your claim is you"KNOW" it works.....and recommend that people on this site take your advise and BUY it with their money. Because you Know so much and cant prove it...

Provided things. HA! an advertisement!

WHAT A GENIUS YOU ARE!!!!! NICE OF YOU TO WASTE PEOPLES MONEY.

In truth it is YOU that is incapable of learning because you'e convinced yourself you're smart. You're anything but that with this.....You never "babysat" people like me.....your incapable.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike...notice the...

Many say bearing tolerances dictate oil vis.
I used 30w since the 70's. NA and with small amount of n2o.
Switched to 20/50 when it came out figure'n wouldnt be pushed out of bearings as easy when press'n the go faster button.
Know real idea if that's the case, but it "sounds like" it wouldnt..LOL.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post

So coat your calculator and shove it up your A$$
Now thats funny....And intelligent.

The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who knows for sure if Compression allowed for aluminum vs Iron is because of speed of THERMAL conductivity ( the phonons travel through AL faster), or because the IR reflectivity ( the photons travel back into the combusting chemistry kernel).

The optical reflectivity for heat is a range of IR and there is visible power that may affect the chemistry, (and i dunno about uV+).

If a (V8) guy could swap combustion chambers from AL to TI (viton o-rings on the water side) then a fair eval can occur. Supposedly the chamber metal matters for heavy fuel combustion, favoring Ti, wheras AL may not auto-diesel so go.

See, the effect may be both thermal conductivity and optical reflectivity.

On the matter of textures; did anyone mention textured combustion chamber for wet-fuel anti-wetting, re-vaporing? seems it matters from what I've seen. Textured slug face may help too.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
So what do you guys say the compression ratio limit is with a iron head on e85?

It will be fun to hear the different opinions on this..
Charlie, I've been looking at this over on YB... there are quite a few related threads...

A few things of interest...

E85 typically rates at "only" around 105 octane... yet many are running E85 at compression and/or boost levels that even 110 octane gas wouldnt do as well...

How octane is determined apparently does not account for the additional charge cooling over gasoline that ethanol provides... Seems that way from my take on things, I'd have to re-read some of the data I have on octane, flame propagation, and fuel... I may be forgetting something in my old age!

I've seen internet posts(YB mostly) of over 13.5:1 NA and over 10:1 compression with turbo boost near 30psi(intercooled/not intercooled)... Aluminum heads, E85 fuel.

Six-eight years ago talking with several builders... they all suggested anywhere from 1/2 point compression to full point compression more could be run with aluminum vs iron on same fuel. All said thats what it would take to keep power same all else equal. Chamber design would account for some of the spread as could cam timing, charge cooling, or anything else that affects compressed charge temperature and flame probability prior to ignition.

So... in answer to your question... iron will not allow as high a compression as aluminum on the same fuel.
Again, iron doesnt need as much compression as aluminum because iron doesnt dissapate heat as fast as aluminum...

So... 1/2-1 full point less compression using iron. Both could make same power on same fuel but the aluminum will require more compression ratio to do so.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Mike...notice the...

Many say bearing tolerances dictate oil vis.
I used 30w since the 70's. NA and with small amount of n2o.
Switched to 20/50 when it came out figure'n wouldnt be pushed out of bearings as easy when press'n the go faster button.
Know real idea if that's the case, but it "sounds like" it wouldnt..LOL.
Ya pal, I saw the smile!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned a long time ago -- you will get a lot further by learing how to tell people to **** OFF -- and still leave them with a smile on there face --- some here need to learn that little trick!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm too obvious?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Naw, Mike -- Your all good -- I just get so damn tired of some of the so called experts spouting there opinion as if its absolute ****ing engine performance GOLD and not even considering that there could be another way -- even a better way - They say the last guy that was perfect was nailed to a cross -- some here need to get off there damn limp pony and listen and learn -- BTW -- that means shut the hell up and listen -- you just might learn something.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

when it comes to all this back and forth banter I always look to see who is actually doin it. Experience means ALOT in my world

The Following User Says Thank You to Kevspontiacs@aol.com For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

experience bantering and thinking or actually trying things and REALLY investigating their merit with people in the industry that would know? J/K....

Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Senior Chief

Only parts I've ever had coated were pin buttons and I liked the result. No hp gain just kept the cylinders from getting any marks on them which is all I wanted.
SD

The Following User Says Thank You to 3fastgtos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just get so damn tired of some of the so called experts spouting there opinion as if its absolute ****ing engine performance GOLD and not even considering that there could be another way -- even a better way - They say the last guy that was perfect was nailed to a cross -- some here need to get off there damn limp pony and listen and learn -- BTW -- that means shut the hell up and listen -- you just might learn something.
Thanks for making my point.

Most here can't comprehend that there could be a better way.
They are like lemmings following the herd.

If they would put away there opinions and biases, they might be able to go a little faster.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
experience bantering and thinking or actually trying things and REALLY investigating their merit with people in the industry that would know? J/K....
INexperience bantering and thinking(?) is usually coming from the crowd that races lips calculators or computers.

trying things and REALLY investigating their merit with people in the industry that would know are usually the guys that haul @ss

Old 01-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Johnta1 do you have anything coated?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
Johnta1 do you have anything coated?
Didnt Magic Man say his calculator is coated????

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for making my point.

Most here can't comprehend that there could be a better way.
They are like lemmings following the herd.

If they would put away there opinions and biases, they might be able to go a little faster.

The funniest thing is John - This was directed at you primarily -- you come across as a know all -- see all wonderkin, your "tone" is grinding and usually condusive to starting aguments - not exchange ideas JMHO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgeise For This Useful Post: