Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Don,pressure test that 44 head!Tom
I see it Tom,,Looks like coolant leakage around the center head bolt hole

POCI.org
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had 2-3 sets of V heads that were cracked and leaked there.Had Indy cyc head repair a set.Tom

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TomV, Thanks for the vote of confidence. The way that I developed the intake port in my 5 heads seems to have cured allot of sins in the original port design by PMD at least on the flow bench. I just hope that it works out on the dyno and at the track as well. I don't think that any of our idea's are original, someone has thought of it before. It just may have been ahead of it's time, and did not get fully developed before moving on to something else. Our for fathers were pretty smart for not having all of today's technology.

toms, I did pressure test the heads and they do leak as can be seen in the pic's. PMD made the castings way to thin there and every set of factory heads I have installed or checked leak there. No problem though, easy fix.

Don Chapman, I have flow tested the factory 5 heads on a 4.300 test fixture and they flowed 328 @ .700 as cast. With a good 5 angle valve job we have gotten them to flow as much as 365 @ .700. That was without an air foil around the pushrod tube. Never had a chance to do the same with it. The problem with the factory 5 heads we found was turbulence after .300" of lift, and very poor port speed all the way through the lift range. That is why I developed the port in my heads the way that I did.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air V heads !!!!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,Nunzi told me years ago to only put 80lb on that bolt!Tom

Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What's your recommended fix Don?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I grind it out into a deep V and then tig weld them. After welding them we grind the roughness away, sand blast them and peen them to look like cast again. After that I add some stop leak to the coolant to fill in any porosity from welding.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmm -

interesting.

I had one head go bad and the solution was to drill and pin. It worked really good.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The machine shop sent me a pic today. Looks like we are back on the machine and starting forward progress again. I'll post more pic's as I get them.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953383.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	327197  

Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default street use

Don, what would be the practical minimum size for an engine using these heads on the street? could you run them on a 400 inch motor or would they just be to big?

Like say my car for instance with the 465 inch motor would they be streetable? what size cam would you recomend? with a 3000 stall converter and good gears for instance.
How big a carb would you have to run?

Chris

1969 firebird, pro touring build. Full Global West suspension 474 Stroker with Molnar Crank and Rods, DCI Ram Air 5 Top end, Holley fuel injection, Vince Janis 200-4R trans

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I will not really have any good info until I get the heads back from being machined. That being said though. I do think that they will work well on anything from 400 cubes on up. A 465 like you have I think will be ideal for these heads. As for cam selection, there will be to many variables to have what I would call a generic grind. Cam selection will be application specific. In your scenario I would recommend something around mid 240's-250's @ .050 with a 112-114 lobe separation (Ball Park). As for carburetor, I would recommend a 4150 style 950 cfm holley double pumper. These are pretty conservative recommendations, but you said street car. Radical street cars and race cars are a whole other ball game. These recommendations will give you good street manors, gobs of torque, and trouble free cruising.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell

Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

maybe I missed this or forgot ,but what size combustion chambers will they have and are the pistons specific to the heads? also is the cam special for a RA V or can you use a regular pontiac cam?

you were saying when I stopped in last the heads are pretty tall compered to a regular d port head, will hood clearance be an issue?

1969 firebird, pro touring build. Full Global West suspension 474 Stroker with Molnar Crank and Rods, DCI Ram Air 5 Top end, Holley fuel injection, Vince Janis 200-4R trans

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"

Last edited by moparcolt; 06-21-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will need a new cam in the 2 center pistons need to be swapped

Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The pistons in your engine right now can be used with minor modification. Like Tom stated, the valve arrangement for a ram air 5 is a little different. So if the piston you have came with a big and small valve relief. They will need to go in the proper holes for the 5 heads. As for combustion chamber size. I will be first offering a chamber around mid 70 cc's, but the sky is the limit because I did not cast the chambers into the heads. That way I have allot of flexibility and offer different versions. The cam is special to ram air 5's and will need to be changed. I am working on an intake that will fit under the hood with a drop base air cleaner. So the only thing that may be a little tight would be the brake booster if you have one.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 Shop
330-628-3354 cell

Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Hydra-boost kit would solve that issue Don and the car would actually stop better with a proper bigger lift/duration camshaft installed.

Why buy the heads and run a "068" hydraulic profile (high vacuum) camshaft in the engine.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Suspended

I really think I'm going to buy me a set of RA5 heads for next year. Now for the hard part..........deciding who's RA5 heads! I wanna be like the Boss Bird, Roots Blower and Zoomie headers!!
How COOL!

GTP George

Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I really think I'm going to buy me a set of RA5 heads for next year. Now for the hard part..........deciding who's RA5 heads! I wanna be like the Boss Bird, Roots Blower and Zoomie headers!!
How COOL!

GTP George
"GTO George[/QUOTE]"

I fixed your typing error in your quote for you George.

You already have the Zoomie Headers (at least from a couple of pics I saw). You already have the Roots Blower, (8-71), so you just need to get rid of that Nova body and buy yourself a flopper F-Bird Body/chassis and you can look like the Boss Bird. Or buy another 69 GTO Glass body like the current record holder (running a IA-2 Block and Heads).

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
How COOL!

GTP George
George your GTO looks great - some great plans - maybe with the same color scheme as the Boss Bird - the 74 GTO one of my favs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	551342_591931990831390_1347834335_n.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	327293  

Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
"GTO George
"

I fixed your typing error in your quote for you, George.

You already have the Zoomie Headers (at least from a couple of pics I saw). You already have the Roots Blower, (8-71), so you just need to get rid of that Nova body and buy yourself a flopper F-Bird Body/chassis and you can look like the Boss Bird. Or buy another 69 GTO Glass body like the current record holder (running a IA-2 Block and Heads).

Tom Vaught[/QUOTE]

Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
"GTO George
"

I fixed your typing error in your quote for your George.

Tom Vaught

Actually just messing around, the Nova looks a lot better as a GTO vs a plain Nova.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Wareagle,
Thanks!

Tom,
I'll sleep better tonight knowing I got your approval (twice)! LOL

GTO George