Old 07-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Default 64 valve cover/ breather fit

The breather cap will not seat down on tube? Tried 2 diffent manufatures. I went over to Ames and let them try both breather caps on their valve cover. Both fit? Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy the Ames Valve Covers?

If I understand, you are talking about a reproduction '64 vented Oil Fill Cap not fitting on the tube of the RH side valve cover (non-Calif style cap)?

Did you think to check the ID of your valve cover tube vs. the Ames tube? IIRC, the cap is designed to press tight to the ID of the tube right?

How is it interfering with the tube? Sounds like it won't go on at all. Is it possible that you need to pry the retainer spring clip back on each side a little so that the ends will slide inside the tube?

The way the clip is designed, the clip should kinda automatically push inward as the cap hits the top of the tube. But if the geometry is a tad off maybe the clip isn't being pushed inward or maybe the "spring" tension is a bit too strong. Then again, don't know why it would work fine on the Ames cover and not on your cover. Maybe your tube ID is a tad too small in diameter? Or maybe even too big.

I am looking to use an original cap and original valve covers. Debated about the fill cap because mine isn't "perfect".

But I am trying to avoid repro pieces where possible so decided to stick with my used cap. I am curious to know what you are finding and if your pieces are repro or original.

I'm thinking I made a good choice to use the original fill cap but admit, I did not check the fit before sending the valve covers out for rechroming. And the cap I have was not original to the valve covers I have, bought the used cap with nice chrome about 25 years ago cause mine was missing. So I hope mine fits properly. Will know when the covers come back.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recollect the diameter of the tube on the valve cover of California cars with closed pcv. That cap looks like a little top hat, and there is no reproduction to my knowledge. Maybe that's the problem?

Old 07-16-2017, 05:50 PM

The tube on my 64 ( non- Calif.) is 1.5" OD and the original vented cap fits good.
What is the diameter of your tube?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Default 64 breather cap fit

My tube same as. Your 1.5 od. Retried the Ames cap & with couple of palm pounds it seated down and did not pop back like the other one. Ames has thinner clip painted black. The other? Has heavier chrome clips. So got 1 out of 2.