Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 64 sending unit wire

I pulled the rear seat in my 64 Le Mans conv and the tan wire that comes off the sending unit was broken off under the seat. It's a larger gauge than the ribbon wires. Should it connect to the ribbon wire ? I haven't pulled the drivers bucket or carpet yet, what should I look for?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have any pix to post? I looked thru the pix of my '64 GTO convert, didn't spot the sender wire in my pix. But I might be able to compare with what I have if you can post pix of yours.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a thought,

In my 64 Pontiac Tempest CSM the tan wire goes to the fuel tank.

On my 65 and 66 that single wire leaves the tank and travels above the rear axle. I do not however know where it enters into the car?

The tan wire should pass through a type of grommet in the floor and continue forward.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

The tan wire is for the gas gauge. It goes from the tank sender thru the floor under the rear seat then the wire travels up behind the rear seat and connects to the rear lighting connector visible from the trunk at the very back of the trunk. That connector then connects to the flat ribbon wiring under the floor to the front.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The wire is broken/cut after going thru the grommet just below the rear seat back. I'll check for a connection to the ribbon wire. I think I know the connector, I thought it was for the top motor. There's also a separate large gauge maroon and grey wires that might be what I'm thinking of. Slowly getting this buggy going but I hate being without a working fuel gauge. The sending unit tested 22 ohms without a full tank but I have to get a connection.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The large gauge maroon and grey wires are part of the ribbon harness, and they are for the power motor top.

The gas sending unit wire is part of the rear tail light harness, which includes the tail lights, the reverse lights (option) the lic. plate light AND the rear courtesy lights for the arm rests on a convert. (orange and white)

I get the impression from your post that you are looking for a separate connection to the ribbon harness for the gas sending unit, there is not, it is part of the rear harness, and it plugs into the floor ribbon harness.

You may want to check for 'continuity' with a multi meter to make sure that the connection is good from the front of the ribbon harness to the back..

Hope that makes sense.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys. Got her fixed