THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody here have back surgery?

I was in a work related car accident back in August that messed up my back. I now have to make a choice about surgery on my upper and lower back. After talking with a spine surgeon I am going to try an epidural in my neck. I know it is only temporary. As for the lower back, the doc is talking about putting in plates and screws to stabilize my spine. He would fuse 3 vertebrae in the upper neck if I choose to go that route.
So has anyone here been there, done that? If you had it to do over would you go the same route?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Suspended

When my back pain got to the point I had to OD on pain meds I quick working. If I could do it over again I'd have been born with rich parents so I never had to work.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife had a couple vertebraes in her neck fused together,long story short she is Very happy with the results.Get alot of recomendations and do lots of homework.GL

Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I was in a work related car accident back in August that messed up my back. I now have to make a choice about surgery on my upper and lower back. After talking with a spine surgeon I am going to try an epidural in my neck. I know it is only temporary. As for the lower back, the doc is talking about putting in plates and screws to stabilize my spine. He would fuse 3 vertebrae in the upper neck if I choose to go that route.
So has anyone here been there, done that? If you had it to do over would you go the same route?
There's an old hospital worker axiom that goes "never see a surgeon unless you want an operation." Stories about back surgery either doing no good or worsening the disease are widespread, and in a lot of cases, accurate.

The epidural may or may not be "temporary." I had an epidural steroid injection in the lumbar region that lasted at least ten years before I got another.

So, were it me, I'd definitely go with the neck one and ask for one in the lower portion of your spine, as well. If your physician doesn't agree, he's not the only surgeon in you area, capice?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM

I have very bad problems with my back. I can hardly get around anymore without pain. I need to go see a doctor but am pretty sure they are going to say surgery is needed.

I seen something on TV once in a 60 min report or something similiar that you have to be very careful when it comes to the injections in your back. It can cause a condition if not done correctly that can't be fixed and causes excruciating pain for the rest of your life..

I'll see if I can look that up and post the info here

Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In defense of my doctor, he says the decision is entirely up to me and only states that I am a candidate for surgery. He is not pushing the surgery. He also told me to get other opinions if I wanted them. The upper back problem may well be handled with the injection but, the lower back may not because two vertebrae are unstable so when I bend over they slip instead of remaining in a fixed position. That explains why I can't sit in a soft chair for very long.
I am going to try the injection in my neck and see how that goes before deciding on the lower back problem.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Back surgery...

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis (sp) in 2011 at the age of 73. Sometimes referred to as "narrowing of the spine", which was causing severe leg pains due to impinged nerves form calcium deposits inside my spine. After unsuccessfully trying five MRI guided shots in the affected area I had just about decided to live with the pain until I was made aware of a surgical alternative. The fix was a laminectomy procedure that opened up my severely narrowed spine to allow the normal clearance that should exist where the nerves enter the spine near it's base. The second procedure, back fusion of the lower 4 vertebrae, resulted form the the removal of calcium deposits in order to clear the interior spine area, leaving my spine weaker than before the laminectomy. The fusion process used bone that was removed from the rear of the four vertebrae involved and special adhesive developed for this procedure. Screw posts with crossbars span each of the four fused vertebra, adding strength to completed repair. Like others, I was concerned about any type of surgery in the back area, but became convinced after extensive research and discussion with other surgeons that this would be successful.

I was hospitalized for one week, including 72 hours slightly inverted and flat on my back due to a bone spur that had grown into the spinal cord, slightly nicking it, to insure that no spinal fluid was lost. I walked to the car after being discharged and within two weeks I was walking a mile, or more, without pain . IIRC, in three months the back fusion is considered permanent and you can then lift more than the 10# limit following the surgery. The biggest thing to remember is no twisting, especially sitting and rising from a seating position.

Bottom line; completely eliminated my leg pain, extending my standing time and walking distances. Wish I would have had the procedure two years earlier when the leg pain began seriously curtailing my garage and recreation activities, spoiling my long awaited retirement plans .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 PM

Ive had lower spine surgery a little over a year ago no problem.Imay need neck repair as well.I will go for it too if i have to !

Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
There are new ways to do Fusions. One is a replacement "disc" that looks about the size of your pinky and it has tiny titanium needles sticking out of top and bottom. Once inserted ( from your right side) they correctly space your spine, the points keep the new piece in place and it allow for bending and some twisting.. vs straps across the back with screws, which is 30+ year old technology.
The shots.. You CAN accidentally get a "spinal tap" from epidurals. They often use floroscopy, but it cant see everything. Once you have a spinal tap, it can damage that nerve and there will be pain like .. well. I know, I was put in an sound sealed room for all my treatments . The Epidual will make your blood sugar go way up and doesnt seem to last, IF its done in the right spot.
Good luck , and be well.
ps Fusions with plates are about 65% successful. Lots of scar tissue and recovery feels like a stick up your back side, but you learn to roll out of bed so to speak, and work around it..

Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Injured(broke) neck twice & five back surgeries.
By all means get a few opinions. Trust me.
Like Wes I suffer from stenosis (scar tissue). Keeps coming back.
I'll take what I got.
Good luck.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife has two rows of titanium plates held together with rods and screws too three or four vertebrae. There's a cage around in the front of all this hardware. Arthritus was moving the vertebrae's and pinching spinal cord causing loss of feelings in hands. Doctor said your days are numbered. After 12 days in Henry Ford Hospital and 7 days of therapy in another hospital and two months of out patient therapy she's as good as new. A good surgeon and (Therapy) is the secret. Do your homework on surgeons.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had back surgery on December 16th... I am still in pain every day but it's not as bad as before the surgery. I had the three epidural injections prior to the surgery and they didn't help at all, in fact the last one seemed to make it worse, not better. Before the shots I had been seeing a chiropractor, and I think I was just paying him to torture me.

FWIW I wear a brace on my calf that helps with sciatica. It really does help, it at least blocks the pain from going all the way to my foot. We also bought a hot tub and that's been a Godsend for me, I probably stay in it too long, but it feels so good on my back and my hip, (which I also had replaced two years ago) I just don't want to get out...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 AM

I put up with 20 years of back pain from a collapsed disc. After therapy, injections, traction, they finally did an MRI and decided I needed surgery. They found L4 and L5 already fused when they went in, and cut bone out around some nerve bundles to relieve them. When I woke up, I felt better than I had in 20 years. The nurse thought my self-medicating morphine machine wasn't working because I hadn't used any. I got up, took a shower and went home.

Every situation is different, and I still have two compressed discs and occasional pain. The best maintenance I have found is walking and keeping my weight down. Works better than any of their therapy.

Ask the OR nurses who the best doctors are, they know.

Good luck-

Kurt

Old 02-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4 back surgeries here. Spinal stenosis also that was supposed handled with the first one. I had to go home in an ambulance from the 1st and 2nd surgeries. The 3rd surgery was to fix what the doc screwed up during the second. The 4th was for a repeat of the problems of the 1st, including spinal stenosis. I suffered foot drop from my 1st and 4th surgeries (opposite feet) and now have to use braces on both feet and a cane to be able to walk. And I still take pain medication every day.

My history with back surgery. Others may vary.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had 3 and also ended up with drop foot,scar tissue,numbness,very weak rt leg ect.I waited until I could not walk until I had mine.I also had 10 rt knee operations and I am still on pain meds like some of the others.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 AM
Suspended

I take my pain meds every day because I have heard so many bad things about the back surg's, & I don't want to be one of those guys who have 4-5-6 operations & still have to take the pain meds. I was told that with the problem with my back for a fall at work that if I have the operation I will only have a 50/50 chance of being able to walk after the op. I don't like those odds. Maybe if the odds get better maybe??? But I don't want to go in being able to walk & then wake up & be told OH by the way you can't walk any more because we hit a nerve & you don't have any feeling below the waist. I'll keep taking the pain meds & arguing with the inc. comp's about the amounts before I go under the knife & live with the pain. By the way I've been on disability for almost 10 years & hate it. But walking & living on disability is better then not being able to walk & still be on the SSI with no money & still taking the pain meds. Get a second & third opinion before you do anything.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen and heard horror stories on back surgery. When my back was broken back in '95 one doctor wanted to do surgery and I told him "No Way" because of what I'd heard. He had put numerous people in wheelchairs. Even a 12 year old girl. Thing was everyone thought he was so great. The same doctor operated on my landlord up North and it put him in a wheelchair. I told him not to do it and after he said he wished he would have listened.

It's a crap shoot whether to have the surgery or not. Only you can make that decision Phil. Everyone's problems are different. Just as doctors are different in how good they are.

I use meds and put up with the pain... and I'm still walking around. My only problem is every so often my back will lock up and I can't move. After 10 minutes or so it lets go and I'm ok again. It's a PITA but better than the alternative that could have happened. I've learned to live with the pain.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Mine was great!

November 2007 - discectomy L3 & L4, fused. Surgery at 11:00am, walking around the hospital by 3:00pm. Would have walked out the next day at 8:00am, but hospital rules required leaving by wheelchair. Six months of progressively aggressive walking. Feels fantastic now, with one caveat.

Had a little recurrence of pain, but cortisone injections determined that the twisting force had transferred to the sacrum-ilium area. Specific exercises relieved that pain, and now am doing almost anything I want to. Well, ... with the exception of both rotator cuffs torn (one completely), so maybe I over did it? Ya think?

Just call me the stereotypical "rode hard, and put up wet" exhibit. I do it to myself.

Lumbar spine surgery - glad I did it,
Ogre

Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

I had to retire in 2006 because my back wore out and didn't know it until one day I went down at work. MRI shown I had bulging to herniated disks on 3 levels and S1 and severe stenosis. Disks are shot FDA has only approved one level of replacement I need 3. I had lumbar lamenectomy and disks were shaved to help with the pain. Still I have good and bad days and any kind of elevated stress will put me down 10-14 days at least , it SUX believe me ......

Then a few years ago I began having neck issues C, 7,8,9. same deal MRI shown same issues I had a lamenectomy there to help with pain. I have at times restricted movement to the left and have snapping noises in my neck from the tendons rubbing across my bone ......

Both surgeons told me 3 level fusions will severely limit my flexibility the surgeon for my neck said no way will he do a 3 level fusion...... I know a friend who had a 3 level fusion in her lower back and she showed me she cannot bend to touch her feet, has a hard time tying shoes she is severely restricted but it helped with her pain ..... She hates it she tells me.

My wife had a 2 level fusion in her neck she is limited on her movements but her pain was that bad ....... shes happy with it overall .....

Each person is different ........ You have a tough decision to make. I do not envy you. I have 7 bad levels to look at me you won't notice but believe me I suffer at times ... I cannot work on my cars, hunt or coach due to stressing my back ..... I got into the car hobby and at times it kills me with pain. This is my life. Ya have to deal with it .....

Good luck with what you decide ...... been there done that and live with it

Talk to your doctor about him perscribing you a TENS UNIT ...... it really helps with the pain.. it delivers electric shock to the area and is very helpful ..... Its expensive but most medical plans cover it.

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 02-18-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My aunt had back problems and had some vertebrae fused and it has bothered her since, but that was back in the 80s

My cousin (her son) had problems with a disk and had some outpatient procedure late last year and was up and running in a month or 2

Im sure the technology has progressed quite a bit, and shouldnt be what it once was.

Also hoping you recover quick

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires