The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to Remove Swirl Marks, Minor Scratches from Paint

The paint on my two '64 GTO's both are beginning to show some very minor swirls visible in certain light conditions. This may sound silly from a person who has been a "car guy" for more than 50 years, but I'm sure some of you have faced the same dilemma. With car show season upon us in the Midwest, I'd like to do the best I can to hide the swirls.

The Grenadier Red GTO is single stage DuPont Urethane with no clear coat. After cut & buff in 2011, there were no visible swirl marks.

The Gulfstream Aqua GTO (my wife's) is Ditzler urethane with clear coat. It was cut & buffed in 2016 right after painting, also with no visible swirl marks.

What is the best/easiest way to hide the swirl marks? I have used Meguiar's Quick Wax & Surf City Wax Detailer, buffing with microfiber towels after application. This helps, but some swirls remain.

I've heard stories of people who use Pledge Furniture Polish, clay bar, etc. to restore a near perfect finish, but have heard mixed results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4352 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	482245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4353.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	482246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5112.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	482247  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Professional products are the only thing to use.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Amen x 2 for 3M professional products.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some 3m or other brand scratch and swirl remover (I usually use Adam’s) + a Porter Cable polisher with the right foam pad will likely take care of most of the swirls. Clay it before you polish so you don’t grind in any contaminants.

You could do it by hand with the compound but it’s going to take some muscle.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/287...e-swirl-marks/

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	1B3CFCA9-46F1-4349-93D1-D153C7649484.gif
Views:	151
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	482255

Every car guy needs this oscillating buffer ...with micro fiber pads and maguires compounds. Anyone can use this buffer without a brain....it’s is so user friendly....you cannot burn through the highest peak on any panel. Been using it for years ....black cars with no swirls ....not a problem. A true god send ! 42 years in the paint and body field and still doing it... I forgot more than I know.. PM me if you want.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick,

There is a guy on You Tube that has a 5 part series of polishing your paint. He is a little 'long winded', but he is very detailed and he makes the process very simple.

I have purchased the products he uses, Meguires M105, and M205, as well as a Porter Cable Orbital polisher with the polishing pads.. The process is time consuming, but there is NO WAY of harming your paint with his method, and the results are great.

Here is a link to his Part 1 video, .........sit back and relax as it does get tedious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Mequires M105 and M205. Wool pad for the 105 and foam for the 205 to cut and buff after new paint. But saying it's not going to effect the paint isn't exactly true. These compounds are just like sandpaper with varying grits. You are removing some material by using them. Take care on edges and ridges, any place where the paint might be thin. If using a rotary buffer make sure the rotation is away from edge, not into it. If it is only swirls as you describe I'd be using a very light compound like the 3M stuff above and using a DA buffer at a very low speed setting. As mentioned previously, make sure that surface is clean or you'll only be putting more scratches into the surface with contaminates.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Clay bars are a waste of time only pushed by paid endorsers. Wash the car, dry it and use the swirl mark remover. What minute so called "contaminants" will come out in the process with ZERO paint damage. But hey, if you have 2 days to waste prior to actually getting the job done, knock yourself out.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Clay bars are a waste of time only pushed by paid endorsers. Wash the car, dry it and use the swirl mark remover. What minute so called "contaminants" will come out in the process with ZERO paint damage. But hey, if you have 2 days to waste prior to actually getting the job done, knock yourself out.
Not to start an argument with you Chief but clay bars have their place in paint prep if used properly. They will not remove swirl markes which the OP is trying to achieve. That takes a 4 step process, clean, cut, polish and seal.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the 3M route. That's what the body shop used when finishing the car. I just need to line up a good oscillating buffer.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Not to start an argument with you Chief but clay bars have their place in paint prep if used properly. They will not remove swirl markes which the OP is trying to achieve. That takes a 4 step process, clean, cut, polish and seal.
Same here, but how many body shops do you see use them? Body shops specialize in paintwork.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the 3M route. That's what the body shop used when finishing the car. I just need to line up a good oscillating buffer.
Oscillating helps if you're not experienced, but speed control is more important. Find one with variable speed. I have a Ryobi. Also, follow the 3M speed recommendations to a "T".

Old 05-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Check out “Chemical Guys” they sell all the tools and have plenty of ‘how to’ videos.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 PM

After using the buff compounds use a product called "Ebony".
Take them swirls and buff marks right out!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

3M just like Chief of the 60s says. Buffer speed no more than 1500 RPMS

Old 05-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
After using the buff compounds use a product called "Ebony".
Take them swirls and buff marks right out!
Do they still make that? The problem with "Liquid Ebony" is that it leaves black streaks that can be a b itch to remove. It is also very old technology that is far surpassed by the new 3M Perfect-It products.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Oscillating helps if you're not experienced, but speed control is more important. Find one with variable speed. I have a Ryobi. Also, follow the 3M speed recommendations to a "T".
The OP needs an oscillating buffer.....there is no man on this planet that can buff a car with a “rotary” buffer and not get swirl marks...I don’t care if you use a foam pad...a micro wool pad...Liquid Ebony ( yes I used it in the 70’s ) ....I use a oscillating buffer ..AFTER ...I use the rotary buffer. ....and I have Plenty of experience.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Okay

Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
The OP needs an oscillating buffer.....there is no man on this planet that can buff a car with a “rotary” buffer and not get swirl marks...I don’t care if you use a foam pad...a micro wool pad...Liquid Ebony ( yes I used it in the 70’s ) ....I use a oscillating buffer ..AFTER ...I use the rotary buffer. ....and I have Plenty of experience.

X2. Otherwise you're not removing swirl marks, you're filling and hiding them. For a while. That's what gets a collision repair out the door. Wash it twice and see if I'm lying. And if you really want to see your results, spray mist a 25/75 mixture of alcohol and water over it and wipe it clean with a micro fiber towel.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Okay
Lol...your playing nice tonight..