Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Exhaust Question

Is there anyone that makes a x pipe system that is 3" from the collectors to the mufflers with a 2.5" tail pipe? This is going on a 69 GTO.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:16 AM

PYPES will make you a system like that, I have one with the 3" X-pipe and 2-1/2" tails that I'm putting on my '64 Tempest.

The 2-1/2" tail pipes have been expanded to fit the 3" muffler outlets.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a stupid question I know but..... I've and I'm . Just trying to learn something.

Why have a 3" exhaust and 2.5" tail pipes? Doesn't that create more back pressure and choke things up a bit? I know 1/2 an inch isn't all that much but I'd think it would restrict the flow a bit. I've seen the opposite, to let the exhaust system breathe better..... As it was explained to me.

Edit:

I think I've found the answer here.... http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html

I never would have guessed if I hadn't seen the Stickie in this section and gone to the link.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 06-26-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
This is a stupid question I know but..... I've and I'm . Just trying to learn something.

Why have a 3" exhaust and 2.5" tail pipes? Doesn't that create more back pressure and choke things up a bit? I know 1/2 an inch isn't all that much but I'd think it would restrict the flow a bit. I've seen the opposite, to let the exhaust system breathe better..... As it was explained to me.

Edit:

I think I've found the answer here.... http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html

I never would have guessed if I hadn't seen the Stickie in this section and gone to the link.
When the exhaust gets to the tailpipes it is cooler and takes up less space.It is also nice to have the smaller tailpipes for sound control and they also take up less space.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
When the exhaust gets to the tailpipes it is cooler and takes up less space.It is also nice to have the smaller tailpipes for sound control and they also take up less space.
Ok but remind me, and anyone else, not to grab on to those tailpipes with bare hands. I doesn't care what anyone says... they be freeking hot. The exhaust coming out can't be that much cooler... IMO.

But then again, you live up there in Ontario where it's cooler. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

b-man if you don't mind me asking how much did that setup set you back?

GT182, I am doing this setup because of noise levels. Running a 3" straight through will be louder and I am trying to make this car as quite as possible. I am even adding resonators after the mufflers. Plus I also want to run the stock tail pipe tips.

In terms of back pressure I am not to concerned with that as I will have cutouts after the x pipe to free things up.