Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Honeycomb Trim Rings

Good Evening,

I recently put a wider tire on my 72 car with 15" honeycomb wheels. But now I can't seem to get the trim rings back on. The tire is a P245/60, is there an aftermarket trim ring that will fit?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

with the wheel off the car, I let all the air out of it. then, pushed the tire away from the rim as best i could by kneeling on it. starting the clips where the tire was farthest away from the rim. it wasn't real easy, but i got them on by working my way around the wheel.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trim Rings

They are very difficult to put on, as a kid I worked for Goodyear changing tires on every type of car one can imagine. The honeycomb trim rings are the most difficult you get three sides on and the fourth side looks like it is 3/4 of an inch too big. I would get a second person to help hold the rings in place while you massage it on the rim. A rubber mallet can help but be carful not to dent the trim ring. It is a pain in the butt. Lets just say I will never balance the tires again. but you can get it done trust me

Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I'm not mistaken in 72 a LeMans with the GTO option and 15" Honeycomb rim's the trim ring was not available as an option.I have a 72 GTO with it's original Honeycomb rims on it and I do not have trim ring's nor does it appear on my build sheet. Other than that Matt M. has the only way I know to put them on.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I think you're correct that they did not come with a trim ring. But, I like the look of them and I already have them. I like the idea of letting the air out, I'll give it a try, and don't worry. I'll put air back in.