THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Has anyone spoke to Dave? See how they are? Curious if the insurance from the bus charter company will cover this. Curious about his plans for the future. Wishing them the best, considering all they’ve been thru the last few years.
Dave posted on his website that he didn't know if they could recover from this, but they are going to try!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 09:18 AM

Just heard about this, terrible news. I'm so sorry for them.

Old 06-24-2023, 11:43 AM

I've communicated with Dave and they are just devastated. Basically 35 years of work is gone. At this point the only piece of equipment he thinks may be salvaged is the Dyno and he doubts if the electronics will have survived the all the water from the firefighting. They are looking to relocate leaving the bad luck and memories behind.

On the insurance front they have met with their lawyer to start the process of forcing the insurance companies to pay for the losses.

I'm not familiar with Canadian insurance laws but if this was the US I know the insurance companies would be competing to see who paid out the least.

Dave did say they have been going though the heads that were in the shop identifying them and checking for damage.

And everyone should be aware Dave said that he doesn't have any computers of his own at the moment so he will be slow replying to emails, so be patience when communicating with him.

The Following User Says Thank You to VCho455 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Shop

I thought about that, can he grow a better shop on that small lot? Its all so very complicated, abd then you aren't close to shop for the security issues, let alone the ability to have a simple life of home versus work.

If he needs workers, I would pry a couple weeks loose.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesbirds View Post
I thought about that, can he grow a better shop on that small lot?.
I can tell you from experience that it’s devastating and hard to overcome. A fresh start elsewhere is the cure but it’s taken me 5 years to get over the loss of my personal shop and most of the parts I’d collected since I was a teenager. For him to loose his livelihood on top is just devastating. Hopefully he can overcome this and I would also be willing to help out if a work party is needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2023, 12:43 PM

Thank you everyone for your words of concern and encouragement. The past month has been a tough one for my entire family as it was a lot more than just the business that burned to the ground on June 8th. My family and I along with lots of friends have been doing the salvaging. We had a large group of friends help us on June 10th and pulled a lot of the larger items from the debris pile with the help of a good friends mini excavator. Since then it's become a much more tedious process where we are literally shoveling by hand, sifting through each shovel full, removing anything of value whether it's salvageable or not as we need to document as much as possible. At this point we haven't scrapped anything as our lawyer has advised us to wait till the bus company either comes out to see everything or passes on laying eyes on the destroyed items. We should be done with the hand shoveling for the most part by the end of this week, we've hauled away over 10 tons of ash and building debris so far. The only salvageable piece of equipment is the dyno which we hope to setup at another location in the next few months. I'm also working on setting up a hand porting area at a buddies shop so once I'm done with the cleanup and documenting process I can finish as much work as I can that was in process. It's not going to be easy to get the shop back up and running to where things were prior to the fire but I'm determined to do what I can and hope that in the end we come out of this ok but the legal battle will probably take a few years. We lost my son Zac and daughter in law Kayla's 1970 Tempest post that we'd been doing a body off frame nut and bottle restoration on the past years and the car was close to being ready for paint, it's now a twisted up burnt piece of scrap metal, I lost half of my 63 Tempest wagon that I've been picking away at for the last 23 years, the painted doors and fenders were in the shop along with the the mint original rear seat and most of the trim and all the new parts I had aquired so I'll probably need to find another car to finish it now. That's just a small part of the personal parts we lost as parts for all the cars were in the shop. It's still hard to take looking at what use to be my shop everyday but we'll figure it out and with all the amazing support we've been getting from family, friends and complete strangers I think we have fighting chance to get things back to the way they were for the most part, we just have to be patient and work harder than ever to make it happen. Sorry for the delay in responding to this post, I'll work on adding updates to the website as things develop.

Old 07-12-2023, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck with the rebuild and the insurance...we are all rooting for you

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 07-12-2023, 04:53 PM

Good to hear some news.
VC

Old 07-12-2023, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's to Insurance! ,....have you considered Northern Alabama.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2023, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, I haven't met you in person, but I have a supply of carbide burrs in 4 and 6" shanks many varieties. Also variable speed controls a few and some other hand porting supplies. If you have the time to PM me with some idea of what you could use or need, I will put a box together for you and send. Probably have 60-80 burrs, all good stuff. Just a little something i can do to help get you going again. Let me know. No charge of course. Take care and hope you can get back in the game. What a tragic series of events.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a nice offer Mike. Hmm, Dave would you have any ideas what you might need in the way of tools? Maybe we/I can help?

Old 07-13-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Dave, I haven't met you in person, but I have a supply of carbide burrs in 4 and 6" shanks many varieties. Also variable speed controls a few and some other hand porting supplies. If you have the time to PM me with some idea of what you could use or need, I will put a box together for you and send. Probably have 60-80 burrs, all good stuff. Just a little something i can do to help get you going again. Let me know. No charge of course. Take care and hope you can get back in the game. What a tragic series of events.
That's an amazing offer Mike but I'm actually ok on the burrs etc. the back wall of the shop where I had my hand porting area is still standing along with my porting bench and both of my Dotco long shank die grinders only had some cosmetic damage from the fire retardent they were spraying which I cleaned up and I've tested them both and they work perfect still. All my burrs were still back there and I just had received a box of cartridge rolls and it was buried under a piecs of steel, box was wet on the outside but the cartridge rolls are fine. I really appreciate that you'd be willing to do that for me but I'm good for now.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

And then we still have this going for one of the most valued in our hobby:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-lisa-...sd-performance

Old 07-13-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
That's a nice offer Mike. Hmm, Dave would you have any ideas what you might need in the way of tools? Maybe we/I can help?
I have a fairly well equipped tool box in the dyno cell which is still standing and as we go along we are picking out tools from each shovel and putting them aside. Many are no longer useable but insurance should be covering those. I also have great friends in my area and have several shops I can do temporary work out of when needed with full use of any tools they have so for now I'll be ok but thanks so much for thinking about me, all the support we're getting has been amazing and helps me get through each day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Bisschop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bisschop View Post
That's an amazing offer Mike but I'm actually ok on the burrs etc. the back wall of the shop where I had my hand porting area is still standing along with my porting bench and both of my Dotco long shank die grinders only had some cosmetic damage from the fire retardent they were spraying which I cleaned up and I've tested them both and they work perfect still. All my burrs were still back there and I just had received a box of cartridge rolls and it was buried under a piecs of steel, box was wet on the outside but the cartridge rolls are fine. I really appreciate that you'd be willing to do that for me but I'm good for now.
I am glad to hear that you have hand porting stuff to work with at least. I just can't imagine all the mess you and your friends and family are dealing with. About the only other stuff I may have that you could use is some Brezinski flow bench fixturing. I have some extra valve opening bars and some other misc. stuff I could part with. Hopefully, your flow bench is still functional. Best of luck with all this.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I am glad to hear that you have hand porting stuff to work with at least. I just can't imagine all the mess you and your friends and family are dealing with. About the only other stuff I may have that you could use is some Brezinski flow bench fixturing. I have some extra valve opening bars and some other misc. stuff I could part with. Hopefully, your flow bench is still functional. Best of luck with all this.
We're getting close to being done the hand digging and sifting, at the end of each day it looks like we've been working in a coal mine, it's no fun but needs to be done. I might be interested in the Brezinski flow bench fixturing, I have a lead on a SF600 bench but not sure what fixturing is included. My bench didn't fair to well, but the CNC and my Rottler seat and guide machine are in even worse condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	361123522_1017958406228657_163048553934995079_n.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	616002  

Old 07-13-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
And then we still have this going for one of the most valued in our hobby:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/for-lisa-...sd-performance
The support we've received through the gofundme and other donations has been amazing!! We don't have loss of business insurance so thanks to all the generous people out there we don't have to worry about our monthly bills for the next several months and can keep focused on the task at hand.

We're realizing now that we should have had more insurance but in our defense after being through two landslides and in each case insurance covered nothing I was getting a little frustrated laying out thousands of dollars a year for insurance only to not be covered when we really needed it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Bisschop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bisschop View Post
We're getting close to being done the hand digging and sifting, at the end of each day it looks like we've been working in a coal mine, it's no fun but needs to be done. I might be interested in the Brezinski flow bench fixturing, I have a lead on a SF600 bench but not sure what fixturing is included. My bench didn't fair to well, but the CNC and my Rottler seat and guide machine are in even worse condition.
OK. Just PM me when you get things sorted out. None of my stuff is for sale. So I will have it if you need it.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey bud, it's been a while, I know we were trying to connect a while back. Your brother sent me the link, I didn't even know it happened until today. Prayers and strength to you and Lisa along with the kids.

Ken Bohenek

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold