Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2023, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Flywheel Confusion

I know this topic has been discussed before. I have read postings but am still confused. Here's my situation...

1) I have a 76 400 engine that has been mated to an automatic transmission up until now. It has a flex plate on it (see picture) with 4 large holes on one side. I assume these are to balance it.

2) I have had my original 71 GT-37 flywheel off the original 350 engine resurfaced, spacer ring to make it fit smaller 76 register on crank inserted and tacked AND I had it balanced. To balance it, they removed 24 grams of weight by drilling a hole on the back side (not shown).

QUESTION: Can I now use this balanced flywheel with this engine? I'm using the original factory 3 speed trans that came with the car. Should I have them check the balance on the flex plate on the 76 engine and make the flywheel match that?

PS As far as I know, 76 400 engine is stock. Also does not appear to have a harmonic balancer on front--just pulleys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	624973   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	624974