THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Here is my #'s matching '69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe SS396 sport coupe.... notice the interior..... and yes it has malibu seat covers which are incorrect but it does have a 134 vin.... a rubber mat.... small sun visors.... the cheapo door panels.... and non hideaway wipers
Nice looking 69 SS you have.

Thought you might like this oddity from 1969. COPO Malibu 396 4-door Police Car. Note the SS hood.

Heavy Duty Frame w/ boxed control arms.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
What a great thread!

Here's the seldom seen 1982 Buick Grand National, only 215 made. There was no 1983 Grand National, then in 1984, Buick reintroduced the GN in basic black only. Many enthusiasts never knew that Buick made a non-black GN in 1982.

There was actually a 1981 Regal Indy Pace Car too, very similar to what Buick would release in 1982. The 1981 Regal Turbo Pace Car became the inspiration for Buick to make a 1982 Grand National.

I'll add to Mike's post.....let's not forget those other "Before Black" years of the Buick Turbo Free Spirit Years.

1976 Experimental Turbo Century

1978 Buick Turbo Regal and Lesabre

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Motion Super Vega.
Motion Vegas are cool.

As are the Yenko Vegas

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
1971 Motion Corvette.
Some more Motion Performance

Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A co-worker has a 1978 AMX that he's owned since 1979. Basically it's a dressed up Hornet, but they are different and rare. His has a 304 auto with buckets and console. It originally had Levi's denim interior, but he replaced it in the mid 80's with black vinyl. He's currently looking for the denim material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amx.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	289155  

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the early 1980's, I had a co-worker that had a 79 AMX, in beige, and he put a 2x4 setup on the stock 304. It was an absolute dog, but he had the privilege of telling customers he owned a dual quad AMX.

Here's another pic of a Baldwin-Motion car, prowling the streets back in the early 1970's...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1970s photo - Baldwin Motion Phase III Camaro on the street.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	289156  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just found another pic on my 'puter of the Motion shop, similar to the one above, but just the 69 Camaro...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motion Performance - Sept 1970.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	289157  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gto4door..where did ya find that 69 4 door cop car, the white one? I was trying to buy that thing, and thought i had it donr and then the car disappeared, the owner stopped communicating, which means he sold it,,,i tried for a long time to get info where the car went..know where its at?

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 68 Hemi Dart and 68 Hemi Cuda, arguably the two fastest cars of the era, this is a photo of a guy picking up his new 68 Hemi Dart. These things looked like used, beat up cars when they were brand new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1968 Hemi Dart - original photo 3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	289165  

Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going through my library to find some interesting stuff. Perhaps two-tone muscle cars are rare, rather than unusual, but I tend to like 'em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V02_BL1_FT6.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	289162   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Mod Top.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	289164   Click image for larger version

Name:	redfront.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	289166   Click image for larger version

Name:	strobe V6J 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	289167   Click image for larger version

Name:	69dod_superlite_b.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	289170  

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew of a Chevelle cop car, maybe in AZ? I don't believe it came with the SS hood from the factory.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
gto4door..where did ya find that 69 4 door cop car, the white one? I was trying to buy that thing, and thought i had it donr and then the car disappeared, the owner stopped communicating, which means he sold it,,,i tried for a long time to get info where the car went..know where its at?
Too bad you didn't buy it. I had forgotten about that car until I dug a little deeper into my electronic photo files. That car was on eBay over 10 years ago. Whenever I see an interesting car on-line that catches my eye, I try to save the photos. It was so long ago, but I want to say the car sold thru the eBay auction. That was a very unique car......I hope it is still around.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it was for sale on team chevelle 4 years ago for 3500 bux, i had it done, but like i said the guy stopped answering emails.......i think he got pounded with offers..

do you remeber what it brought on ebay?

i wanted that car sooo freakin bad...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Last edited by marxjunk; 06-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
I knew of a Chevelle cop car, maybe in AZ? I don't believe it came with the SS hood from the factory.
i know you arent going to believe it, but the white car is right, i saw all the documentation for the car, and the hood was there the day it was delivered,

the story is it needed the domed hood to clear the big block air cleaner..because of the height of the intake and carb assys....i dont know but seems reasonable..kinda far fetched but reasonable...remeber 69 was the last of the high rise..in 70 all the big blocks got the flat intake so they could put them in 70 camaros..thats why the LS6 got the weird flat intake too..

there was a long discussion about it on the yenko site and team chevelle,

it has/had XT wheels on it too...which is the standard wheel for a performance style car..if you didnt buy rallies

it looks just like a non-yenko copo...

The Goat whisperer

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But it's a 396/325, so perhaps it wouldn't require the high intake?

Another thing - was the hood domed at the top only? Or was it concave underneath too?

Never caught the discussion on Yenko.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a stock lo perf intake in 69 is taller than an LS6 intake..id think an open element would clear a flat hood, i know they do, but being a cop car, im sure it had to have a closed ait cleaner..and they are big units

the inner bracing is clearenced.ive had a few cars and hoods, and its noticable.

im just going by what the experts said back then, a lot of things have come to light in the last couple years....so some thing that have been said have been proven wrong..

they had pics of the car delivered on day 1 to the police station, and the hood was there...at least the guy that had the car said it was a pic of the car on delivery day...

i saved everything about that car, and lost it all in a computer crash...i learned to back up everything on an external that day

The Goat whisperer

Last edited by marxjunk; 06-27-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went and looked at my hood..... I don't think installing the SS hood has anything to do with clearance issues. The center of the hood is the same height as a flat hood. I'm thinking it might have something to do with heat dissapation as the big block might generate more underhood heat as the "vents" are open and appear to be functional for something.... just a thought....

BTW - That 4 door is very cool.... I have never seen or heard of a non SS big block '69 Chevelle.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it wasnt 4 years ago, it was 8 that i was trying to buy it..how in the heck did the time fly

unless you had a stock hood and a SS hood sitting next to each other, how would ya know? and yes the hood height is identicle...

im just discussing a neat car, im not disagreeing with any one or any statement..its just sometimes i think out loud..

its a COPO..it doesnt follow the rules of a standard production car..

COPO was developed to sell fleet cars that where not conventional...the where more able to give the big volume customers what they wanted..and to do special runs of limited numbers of cars....Jim Mattison had involvement in the COPO program if i recall correctly

COPOs where for taxi cabs, police cruiser etc..Yenko and the like figured out how to use it, and then convinced GM to build the 427 Camaros and Chevelles under the program..i dont know the specifics, although i read it a million times..

this is the statement the guy made in 04 hes the guy that bought it off ebay i guess, this is not the guy i was trying to buy it from

In regards to the 69 copo police special I currently own.There were some questions and some guesses as to the actual hp of its specially coded engine.Someone suggested I remove a valve cover and check the cams lift with a dial indicator .It is .480 give or take a thou or two.This would indicate a 350hp engine as I expected it would be given the other clues I had to go on .Does anyone have carb numbers for the 350hp application.To refresh your memmory this car was on ebay and there was some chat that should show up in the archives here

more pics when it was discussed on team chevelle

http://images57.fotki.com/v81/photos...Fcorner-vi.jpg
http://images6.fotki.com/v82/photos/...shboard-vi.jpg
http://images6.fotki.com/v82/photos/...backend-vi.jpg
http://images6.fotki.com/v83/photos/...swaybar-vi.jpg
http://images58.fotki.com/v85/photos...6engine-vi.jpg

in the pics you can see a blacked out rear tail panel..just like an SS, but no emblem...

The Goat whisperer

Last edited by marxjunk; 06-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't doubt the '69 Chevelle cop car came with the SS hood, but the first thing I thought of was air/cleaner clearance made zero difference, as 71GP76TA explained, the bulges don't cover the center of the hood.
That is one cool car, as I have always had a jones for police cars. The small town where I grew up had a 409 '65 Biscayne squad car for a breif time.

This thread is hitting a homerun for me. Love it. I started reading from the beginning and it grew from 80 to 97 replys in the time it took me to get through it.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
A co-worker has a 1978 AMX that he's owned since 1979. Basically it's a dressed up Hornet, but they are different and rare. His has a 304 auto with buckets and console. It originally had Levi's denim interior, but he replaced it in the mid 80's with black vinyl. He's currently looking for the denim material.
This one's been for sale two miles down the road from me since last fall. It's a '77 IIRC. It is a low-buck version with 258 and A/T. The auto kills it for me. If it had a 4-speed it would be a neat car to buzz around town in.