THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Freakish in color only, to each his own I suppose . . .

'72 GTO 455HO in special order Julep Green. Yuck . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	288816   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	288817  

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back to the non-Pontiac topic . . . sorry Jack!

1971 Mach 1, 429CJ 4-speed, with A/C.

One of one, VERY special order and built for a Ford dealer principal. Arrived at the dealership with bold lettering on the windshield in green grease pencil - "NO WARRANTY".

Ford did/would not build a 1971 429CJ 4-speed with air. The attached Marti Report tells the tale.

Car was restored a couple years back by a good friend of mine here in town - Butch Ayers. Unfortunately the current owner wanted it sprayed in black, rather than the original red.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_5422.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	288819   Click image for larger version

Name:	The 1971 Mustang...of the....jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	288820  

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, I think he's mistaken on the compression ratio:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/...ml?load_img=64

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/...ering_0008.jpg

There was no reason to create an ultra-hi-po 383 when there was a 440 that was more than up to the task. Just sayin'.

Here's a Marti Report or two for some unusual cars…..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967LTD427_factoids.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	288835   Click image for larger version

Name:	cinnamon67meteor428stickRag.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	288836   Click image for larger version

Name:	gold67CountrySquire428stick.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	288837  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd,
Pontiacs are the Greatest but just curious of other oddball cars that others made. Include the Pontiacs so we don't get this moved. Although once is slows down I may ask it to be moved to the Lobby. Just tried to get this out of the "OH" thread.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother has a 68 Skylark convertible with a factory 3 on the tree. Buicks are rare enough with a stick of any kind, much less a 3 on the tree ragtop. We guess it must be a "loss leader" from a dealer or something. He rescued it from a junk yard in the early 90s.

http://www.southwestv8.com/pics/buic...rk/skylark.htm

It ain't pretty, but it's road worthy. He rebuilt the original engine and added a 4 barrel and a cam, and a 3.55 posi from a 70 GTO (it originally came with a 2.73 rear - it took a lot of clutch slippage to get it going, which caused clutch chatter), but left the column shift 3 speed (he's pretty good at speed shifting the column shift!). He added the 68 GS hood.

He also has a 69 GS400 with a 4 speed (one of like 785 made or something).

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
And here's a Quezal Gold '72 GTO that was never built . . .
Ok, I'll bite - why was it never built?

(Sure looks like it was in the picture...)

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Y'all all know about the famous 1969 Yenko Camaro (these days you see a bunch of clones out there). But have you heard of an original "cloned" Yenko Camaro that was done back in the day?

Don Yenko had ordered up a bunch of these COPO Camaros to convert into Yenko Camaros. To help him move out some of these cars, he sold Yenko Camaros to other Chevrolet Dealers around the country. After awhile, some of these dealers got wind that they too could order 427 Camaros thru Central Office Production Order. Jack Douglas Chevrolet in Illinois was one of these dealers. Having bought a few Yenkos for resale, the dealership ordered a few of their own 427 Camaros thru COPO and badged their own Yenko Camaros. From what I understand Don Yenko eventually caught on to this and agreed to allow Jack Douglas Chevrolet the licensing and rights to assemble Yenkos Camaros. There are a few tell-tale signs of how to differentiate a Yenko Camaro built by Yenko Chevrolet versus those built at Jack Douglas Chevrolet.

Note the colored front bumpers on these Jack Douglas made Yenko Camaros. The Yenko Camaros from Yenko Chevrolet had chrome front bumpers.

Another tell tale sign is none of the Yenko Chevrolet COPO Camaros were ordered in white.

Not putting down the Jack Douglas Chevrolet Yenko Camaros. They are just as sought after by collectors as the ones from Yenko Chevrolet. But a pretty good story.
Endura front bumper was an option on '69 Camaros. I have seen them on Z/28s as well as SS and RS cars. So you are saying that none of the Yenko built Yenkos ever had that option and all of the Douglas built ones did? Or, did Douglas add that to all of his cars?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
You mean like this one?

I know for a fact the CJ Torino 4-door does not exist anymore.
Yes... just like that one. I always liked the US 1968-72 Nova body style and thought that it was pretty cool that they were still being produced in Argentina thru model year 1978/79. I like some of the graphics that were on the Serie II and the use of the Oldsmobile Super Stock II wheels on these cars.

The Chevy Serie II had really nice looking dash instrumentation.

Final year of the Serie II was the 1978 Opus

Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
well, i saw the car, and it a 4 speed bench 4 door...i found out it was a 66..looks like i got the year screwed up

so i made a call...i just couldnt take the suspense..its a 66 enforcer squad car, and its 11.0 comp ratio 383...they where avail with either a torqflite, a HD 3 speed stick or a 4 speed..has Govier documents...doest mean a lot to me..i think mopars suck...well most of them any way..lol
Since we are on Mopars, I always like this '66 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi 4-door. Story is the guy that ordered the car walked into the Dodge dealer in Witchita Kansas and told the salesman that he wanted the hottest motor in his car. But the car had to be a 4-door because he (and his wife) had to drive his elderly father around.

I think this car sold for over $500K at Barrett Jackson about 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
Endura front bumper was an option on '69 Camaros. I have seen them on Z/28s as well as SS and RS cars. So you are saying that none of the Yenko built Yenkos ever had that option and all of the Douglas built ones did? Or, did Douglas add that to all of his cars?
Correct the Color coded Endura front bumper was an option in '69. The batch of COPO Camaros ordered and built at Yenko Chevrolet in Cannonsburg, PA did not have the Endura Bumper. But some of the COPO Yenkos built at Jack Douglas Chevrolet in Hinsdale, Illinois were ordered with the color coded Endura Bumper. That is one way to visually differentiate a Don Yenko built Yenko Camaro from a Jack Douglas built Yenko Camaro.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
My brother has a 68 Skylark convertible with a factory 3 on the tree. Buicks are rare enough with a stick of any kind, much less a 3 on the tree ragtop. We guess it must be a "loss leader" from a dealer or something. He rescued it from a junk yard in the early 90s.

http://www.southwestv8.com/pics/buic...rk/skylark.htm

It ain't pretty, but it's road worthy. He rebuilt the original engine and added a 4 barrel and a cam, and a 3.55 posi from a 70 GTO (it originally came with a 2.73 rear - it took a lot of clutch slippage to get it going, which caused clutch chatter), but left the column shift 3 speed (he's pretty good at speed shifting the column shift!). He added the 68 GS hood.

He also has a 69 GS400 with a 4 speed (one of like 785 made or something).

Importsmasher
Can't say that I have seen a 3 on a tree Skylark Convertible before. Since we are on '68 and '69 Buick Skylark and GS. I'm sure most of you have heard of the California GS, but did you know there was a GS Colorado?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
Odd cars from other country's built by the big 3 is okay with me.
Canada had the odd Mopars in the small Dart/Valiant size.
They were the Dart on one end and Valiant on the other and then therer were Valiaints on one end and Dart on the other. Made it hard to identify as when it came towards you, you thought it was a Dart or Valiant but when you saw the back it was the other. Any Canadians here with pics of those vehicles?
Jack,
I'm not exactly sure what went on in Canada, but south of the border in Mexico had the odd Valiants as well. The Chrysler Valiants in Mexico are a mix of US badges, grills and tail lights of the Dart and Duster. Here is a pic of a Mexican 1975 Chrysler Valiant Super Bee 360. These cars had Dodge Dart front ends and Plymouth Duster rear ends.

The Super Bee 360 were some of the fastest cars production cars in Mexico at that time. Even some Police Departments had them in their fleet.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mexican Shelby Mustang (the US Mustang Grande).

In 1971 the Mexican Shelbys went to the Maverick body style (the US Mercury Comet).

Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Back to the non-Pontiac topic . . . sorry Jack!

1971 Mach 1, 429CJ 4-speed, with A/C.

One of one, VERY special order and built for a Ford dealer principal. Arrived at the dealership with bold lettering on the windshield in green grease pencil - "NO WARRANTY".

Ford did/would not build a 1971 429CJ 4-speed with air. The attached Marti Report tells the tale.

Car was restored a couple years back by a good friend of mine here in town - Butch Ayers. Unfortunately the current owner wanted it sprayed in black, rather than the original red.
I really do not like that Marti report... or the way it is done, does it say that this car was the only one with AC ?

No it does not... it says that one of the four with knitted vinyl buckets had AC, NOT how many of the 556 with a 4 speed..
I have seen several Marti's and it looks like the goal is to make most cars as rare or special as possible.. "Your car is one of.. 1, 2, 3, 4 or what ever"

Last edited by Loffen; 06-26-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
I have seen several Marti's and it looks like the goal is to make most cars as rare or special as possible.. "Your car is one of.. 1, 2, 3, 4 or what ever"
That's exactly the goal. Reduce the production/option combination until you get the lowest number possible for bragging rights.

When you talk to Ford owners they are sure to tell you the numbers too.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I really do not like that Marti report... or the way it is done, does it say that this car was the only one with AC ?

No it does not... it says that one of the four with knitted vinyl buckets had AC, NOT how many of the 556 with a 4 speed..
That's an interesting comment. Weren't you the one a few months ago who was using faulty statistics to determine how many of a certain Pontiac were built with a certain combination of options?

At least with Marti, they are able to determine hard numbers without the speculation.

Regarding the Yenko Endura bumper, how does one explain this photo of their storage lot?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Diego;4666373]That's an interesting comment. Weren't you the one a few months ago who was using faulty statistics to determine how many of a certain Pontiac were built with a certain combination of options?

At least with Marti, they are able to determine hard numbers without the speculation.

QUOTE]

I did give an estimate based on production totals with reference to the procentage made of a simular model.

Not at all faulty statistics or an exact determination as you would like it to be, just an estimate, so please eat it

Yes Marti uses hard numbers to get every car as special as possible down to the fabric of the seats, not as Pontiac's where we usually stop at the engine and transmission

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
1973 Malibu SS Station Wagon. 1973 was the only year the SS option was available on the wagon.
Those are rare and cool especially with the 454 engine.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes Marti uses hard numbers to get every car as special as possible down to the fabric of the seats, not as Pontiac's where we usually stop at the engine and transmission
Actually, that's not true.

There are three types of Marti Reports:

Standard, Deluxe, and Elite.

The Standard one only lists the options of the car and other pertinent info.

The DeLuxe one also adds production figures such as color, color/interior, engine/tranny, DSO, and maybe one random option.

The Elite includes the Deluxe plus narrowing the numbers down to the point of 1 of 1 or something close to that.

The latter often causes problems because people will think theirs is the only one built with a certain option, when it's "this plus that plus the other thing make it 1 of 1." I guess we saw that with the Mustang/AC example, eh?

But Marti can cross-reference any combination of options - see the attachment for an interesting statistic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1969bigcar4speed_fstats.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	288946  

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Originally Posted by Loffen

[QUOTE=Diego;4666410]Actually, that's not true.

The Elite includes the Deluxe plus narrowing the numbers down to the point of 1 of 1 or something close to that.
The latter often causes problems because people will think theirs is the only one built with a certain option, when it's "this plus that plus the other thing make it 1 of 1." I guess we saw that with the Mustang/AC example, eh?

QUOTE]

Ehhh.... Right......