THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, guys, any of you mods so this can be moved to a more appropriate place for others to see and contribute?

Anyhoo….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
How about a topic (and pics when possible) of non Pontiac unusual (preferably but not necessary) muscle cars? Maybe unusual+
Examples would be,
'69 SS Chevelle 300, post cars
The 300 Deluxe didn't have to be a post, and I think those cars are as equally unusual, no?

On a related note, I saw a 300 Deluxe hardtop yesterday with a 350/300 and a 4-speed.

Quote:
'70 1/2 Ford Falcon, w/429, post cars
Actually, the Fairlanes and Torinos are more unusual with the 429 than the Falcon. Here's one of them that was on eBay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...#ht_586wt_1182

Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon4 View Post
Is the black one yours? She's sweet! I've recently bought the '72 Lemans Wagon 455 with T-41 option that was for sale here. This car gives me lots of ideas on how to progress with mine.
Yes, I use to own the black 71. Sold it a few years ago. It was a pretty cool car. I like those 72 T-41 Safari Wagons.....they always attract alot of attention.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Damn! I can't find one of those here! How you found one down there is just amazing!

Great cars - keep the pictures coming!
Boss,
We need to find the Dan Jensen built 455HO wagon. It's out there somewhere.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Actually, the Fairlanes and Torinos are more unusual with the 429 than the Falcon.
Here is one that was shown at MCACN in 2010.

This Torino Cobra showed up at our local cruise meet in Spring, TX a few weeks ago.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

'69 Fairlane Cobra.

Interesting note....the 1968 thru 1969 Fairlane body style was discontinued after 1969 in the US, but continued production in Argentina thru 1981. Some were even badged "LTD". Most Argentinian Fairlanes were 6cyl, but some had the 292 cid V8 "Y" block.

Argentina Ford Failane Club picture

Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Boss,
We need to find the Dan Jensen built 455HO wagon. It's out there somewhere.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They made over 4000 CJ Torino Cobras in 1970, so they're not terribly rare. With the Drag Pack, maybe 1500 were built. Torino GTs are much rarer with the same combo.

Fairlane Cobras from 1969 were not very rare either, and equivalent Torino GTs with the CJ were rarer as well. A CJ that wasn't either was extremely rare - check out this one.

As my parents are from Argentina, I am quite familiar with the Fairlane from there. You should also check out the IKA Torino (a redesigned Rambler American) and the Dodge GTX and R/T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackjade69TorinoQ_4door.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	288772   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6194.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	288773   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6241.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	288774  

Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
They made over 4000 CJ Torino Cobras in 1970, so they're not terribly rare. With the Drag Pack, maybe 1500 were built. Torino GTs are much rarer with the same combo.

Fairlane Cobras from 1969 were not very rare either, and equivalent Torino GTs with the CJ were rarer as well. A CJ that wasn't either was extremely rare - check out this one.

As my parents are from Argentina, I am quite familiar with the Fairlane from there. You should also check out the IKA Torino (a redesigned Rambler American) and the Dodge GTX and R/T.
Wow! Thank you for sharing that Marti Report on the '69 Torino 4-door Cobra Jet. Hope that car is still around. That Marti Report reminds me of this '68 Fairlane 390 4-door 4-speed that Steve Magnante (Petersen Publishing) wrote about in a Junkyarding article in Hot Rod back in 2006. When I read Magnante's write up on that car, I called the salvage yard the car was at and asked about buying it (wanting to save another unique 4-door). Unfortunately, the yard had already crushed the car. I do recall them telling me that the car was ordered new by a shop teacher and had been in Southern California car its entire life. Here are pics to that car.

Speaking of Argentina.......yea, I like the Coronados, RTs and GTX that were made there. My favorite is the Chevy Serie II from Argentina.

To the readers of this thread, not sure how weird and unusual you want to see and read about. All of these 4-doors are already way out in left field. Do you want to see the cars (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC) made in other countries as well?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Y'all all know about the famous 1969 Yenko Camaro (these days you see a bunch of clones out there). But have you heard of an original "cloned" Yenko Camaro that was done back in the day?

Don Yenko had ordered up a bunch of these COPO Camaros to convert into Yenko Camaros. To help him move out some of these cars, he sold Yenko Camaros to other Chevrolet Dealers around the country. After awhile, some of these dealers got wind that they too could order 427 Camaros thru Central Office Production Order. Jack Douglas Chevrolet in Illinois was one of these dealers. Having bought a few Yenkos for resale, the dealership ordered a few of their own 427 Camaros thru COPO and badged their own Yenko Camaros. From what I understand Don Yenko eventually caught on to this and agreed to allow Jack Douglas Chevrolet the licensing and rights to assemble Yenkos Camaros. There are a few tell-tale signs of how to differentiate a Yenko Camaro built by Yenko Chevrolet versus those built at Jack Douglas Chevrolet.

Note the colored front bumpers on these Jack Douglas made Yenko Camaros. The Yenko Camaros from Yenko Chevrolet had chrome front bumpers.

Another tell tale sign is none of the Yenko Chevrolet COPO Camaros were ordered in white.

Not putting down the Jack Douglas Chevrolet Yenko Camaros. They are just as sought after by collectors as the ones from Yenko Chevrolet. But a pretty good story.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yenko, Baldwin Motion, Nickey, Dana......you've heard of all these. It seems like the Harrell Chevrolets don't get as much ink as Yenko and Motion cars.

Pics of few cool Harrell Chevrolets

Note the Kelsey Hayes "Stripper" wheels on these next two Harrell cars.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Let's not forget Jim Wangers when he had his Chevrolet Dealership in Milwaukee. He did a few cars that included some Big Block Novas and V8 Vegas.

Jim Wangers Milwaukee Klassic Monte Carlo and Caprices.

Wangers beefed up 454 '73 Laguna with the Appliance Wire Mags and styled Opera Window. Note that Opera Windows were not available on Lagunas until 1974. All '73 Laguna's had the triangle rear side window.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gotta love them 4-doors right? In the other thread titled "Oh!" about GT-37s that The Boss started we somehow got side tracked about Malibu 400s. Well here is a pic of a 1972 factory 4-door 4-speed Malibu 400. How rare is that?

While I'm at it, gotta give my old 70 Malibu 350 4-door 3-speed on the tree a plug. Not as cool as the above Malibu 400 4-door 4-speed, but my old stripper 4-door Malibu with 3:23 gears would roast those rear tires.....that car was a sleeper and a hoot to drive.

Three on the tree. No A/C, No power steering and radio delete. Too bad the car wasn't a two door.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You mean like this one?

I know for a fact the CJ Torino 4-door does not exist anymore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6027.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	288791  

Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There a pretty well known mopar guy west of st louis that has a neat 4 door..its a 67 or 68 fury 4 door with a special order 383...its 11.5 to 1 compression (never heard of it before)bench seat 4 speed... ex-FBI pursuit verhicle, he has the build sheet and Gaylen had documented the car...its a weird green with a pale green interior..guy wont sell it...i never got pics cuz he would freak ot if ya even talked about pics of any of his stuff...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was no ultra-high compression 383 that year. Either you have your story mixed up or the owner is full of it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Odd cars from other country's built by the big 3 is okay with me.
Canada had the odd Mopars in the small Dart/Valiant size.
They were the Dart on one end and Valiant on the other and then therer were Valiaints on one end and Dart on the other. Made it hard to identify as when it came towards you, you thought it was a Dart or Valiant but when you saw the back it was the other. Any Canadians here with pics of those vehicles?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John (gto4door) is WAY too modest.

Just check out the options on his old '71 LeMans 4 door "GTO", and the original dealer. Pay special attention to option code #721. Ever see another 4-door car with THAT option?

We're fairly certain that this LeMans was a "pit car" for Monk King's famous '71 T37 455HO race car, back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PHS71Lemans.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	288813  

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HPP magazine article on two of gto4door's "Factory Freaks" . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	John Chung HPP Factory Freak Article 05-10 cropped s.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	288814  

Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And here's a Quezal Gold '72 GTO that was never built . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1972_GTO_455_Early_Factory.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	288815  

Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There was no ultra-high compression 383 that year. Either you have your story mixed up or the owner is full of it.
well, i saw the car, and it a 4 speed bench 4 door...i found out it was a 66..looks like i got the year screwed up

so i made a call...i just couldnt take the suspense..its a 66 enforcer squad car, and its 11.0 comp ratio 383...they where avail with either a torqflite, a HD 3 speed stick or a 4 speed..has Govier documents...doest mean a lot to me..i think mopars suck...well most of them any way..lol

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Last edited by marxjunk; 06-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.