THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got my doors blown one night by a black spray painted '70 W-30 442 with a zit faced fat kid driving it..... the car had dents and a puke green interior to boot.... the W-30 emblems were spray painted over too.... this was back in the mid/late '80's BTW

One night I pulled up next to a '71 Charger with a tunnel ram and 2-4's(sounded stock and overcarbed).... I blew his doors with a '67 Ventura... Probably could've blown his doors on a bicycle

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-15-2011, 02:41 PM

A discrete 4 dr missing hubcaps, with faded paint and quiet exhaust.

Made a lot of embarrassed 2drs with my 73 Cutlass P/I car back in the day. No W-30 emblems on it, nothing flashy, but she hooked and ran hard with a few mods.

I miss that car.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a local guy lived down the street who ran a 63 Bel Air wagon with a nicely built 427 and overdrive unit as his "work vehicle".

He was a master with BBC and also had a 68 Camaro by name of Heavys Toy that ran on streets of Lahnam/Cheverly/Bowie MD area in early 70s

One winter he had a Sears snow tire spare on one side and G 60 on the other...this thing was a MESS to look at....but she would run!

This sleeper fooled many.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A sleeper is a ratty 1963 Ford 4 door sedan with a 428 CobraJet and quiet exhaust in it

Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had alot of people tell me my car is a good sleeper You guys need to look into turbo's if you want a sleeper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0125.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	230998   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001 (Small) (Small)[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	231001  

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

How about this T/A -- Started out as a 15 sec. Smogger - but now has run a 8.13 @ 169 mph - all Pontiac .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-8secta-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	231005  

Old 01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle
How about this T/A -- Started out as a 15 sec. Smogger - but now has run a 8.13 @ 169 mph - all Pontiac .
There's nothing "sleeper" about Mighty T/A's car,sorry.

I mean it's a nice car no doubt,and yeah it's more than fast enough,but the full roll cage and the four link rear suspension kinda gives his cars potential away,and fuhgadabout his engine bay looking "stock",not even close on that count.

Anybody that cant figure out what Robin's car is all about is completely clueless.

Same with having a ton of boost hardware,open the hood and the jig is up,again sorry to all the boost guys,but your not fooling anyone with that stuff.

And if you wont open the hood,everyone else is gonna know there's probably a damn good reason for that.

I dunno,what it boils down to is everyone has a different idea of exactly what defines a "sleeper",the FAST cars are indeed pretty good examples in most respects,but like I said using race gas will give a car away to anyone who knows what that stuff smells like,and right there most those guys are gonna know somethings up with that car.

It's like that old saying,"you can fool some of the people,some of the time,but you cant fool all of the people,all of the time",you do the best you can,but sooner or later,one way or the other,the truth will be revealed.

The idea of a sleeper is to fool as many people as you possibly can,and that includes fooling a fair number of the guys that should be able to spot those cars,even in spite of the car builders best efforts to lull them into misjudging their cars full potential.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle View Post
Too shiney.
Paint needs to be flat, possibly even some surface rust poking thru. A true sleeper is a car no one looks at twice. Ever until it smokes them in an all out run. Exhaust should be quiet, interior may be a bit ratty, paint nothig to look at, wheels that don't shine, under the hood needs to looks stock at a glance oreven be grease covered. A true nondescript car that screams is a sleeper. Nothing else fits the definition.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oft...eature=related

This thing is a riot. His co-pilot is a dog.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
There's nothing "sleeper" about Mighty T/A's car,sorry.

I mean it's a nice car no doubt,and yeah it's more than fast enough,but the full roll cage and the four link rear suspension kinda gives his cars potential away,and fuhgadabout his engine bay looking "stock",not even close on that count.

Anybody that cant figure out what Robin's car is all about is completely clueless.

Same with having a ton of boost hardware,open the hood and the jig is up,again sorry to all the boost guys,but your not fooling anyone with that stuff.

And if you wont open the hood,everyone else is gonna know there's probably a damn good reason for that.

I dunno,what it boils down to is everyone has a different idea of exactly what defines a "sleeper",the FAST cars are indeed pretty good examples in most respects,but like I said using race gas will give a car away to anyone who knows what that stuff smells like,and right there most those guys are gonna know somethings up with that car.

It's like that old saying,"you can fool some of the people,some of the time,but you cant fool all of the people,all of the time",you do the best you can,but sooner or later,one way or the other,the truth will be revealed.

The idea of a sleeper is to fool as many people as you possibly can,and that includes fooling a fair number of the guys that should be able to spot those cars,even in spite of the car builders best efforts to lull them into misjudging their cars full potential.

FWIW

Bret P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Too shiney.
Paint needs to be flat, possibly even some surface rust poking thru. A true sleeper is a car no one looks at twice. Ever until it smokes them in an all out run. Exhaust should be quiet, interior may be a bit ratty, paint nothig to look at, wheels that don't shine, under the hood needs to looks stock at a glance oreven be grease covered. A true nondescript car that screams is a sleeper. Nothing else fits the definition.

Mike
My point on this was it started out as a Smogger - a big difference on what it is now .
You can stick a roll bar etc . on a shiny T/A But that does'nt make it a 8 sec. car --Full credit to Robin though .
There are people out there that don't give the 70's T/A Much credit unless you have a well setup SD455 etc. .

Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have you ever seen ''The Tralier Park Boys''? Ricky has a sleeper and it's missing a door.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Robin's car is just FASTER vs what the chebby boys think the car will run. By that definition, it is less a "sleeper" but much more of a "ringer". Muhammad Ali fighting a street punk.

Billy Glidden's "rainbow car" was a "ringer" vs a sleeper.

Made a lot of money on the street against other street racers.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Talking

I met and hooked up with a girl that ended up being a real Sleeper

Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sleeper ,Look at the 64 lemans in High performance pontiac latest issue .

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I'm not sure what starting out as a "smogger" has to do with being a sleeper. By that definition, every NHRA Pro Stock car in the last 39 years is sleeper, because they were all smoggers. NHRA Pro Stocks are definitely not sleepers.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 1970's (before nitrous), my 4 cylinder "giraffe hauler" (thanks, Road & Track ) Datsun roadster that turned low 12's was a sleeper.

The only giveaway was the tires and the roll-bar.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what starting out as a "smogger" has to do with being a sleeper. By that definition, every NHRA Pro Stock car in the last 39 years is sleeper, because they were all smoggers. NHRA Pro Stocks are definitely not sleepers.
Mike - we had a # of T/A's - Camaro's - Vette's etc. running around here in the 70's - 80's with big tires etc. but they were'nt really as Quick as they looked - thats my point .
Unless you know the particular car's setup like Robins T/A - you would'nt think it could blow your doors off .
Tom V. - yes could be also classed as a Ringer - as all Makes were Guilty of that through the years .

Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My definition of a sleeper? Early 80's Grand Prix in fully "Granny" dress with a 468 under the hood!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell