THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's my idea of a sleeper.....

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=648002

Importsmasher

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Here's my idea of a sleeper.....

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=648002

Importsmasher
Fabulous car. If I were him I'd get ahold of Beaumont trim; I'd bet nobody would ever challenge it down there.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in my day, the factory sleeper look was a 62 Biscayne with a 409 dual quad 4-speed bench seat. So long as you didn't hear the solid lifters.
In '65 my buddy had a new Malibu SS 327-300 hp 4 speed & pulled up along side a 64 or 65 442. The 442 was wrecked on every corner. We ran from a 20 roll & the 442 left us in the dust. Sleeper? whatever.
Oh yeah, the guy in the 442 had a "hot chick" sitin right next to him. she never moved.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The fastest sleepers I ever saw run in Pottstown PA were'nt the obvious ones
like the overly clean plain jane 4 doors & wagons etc.

One that comes to mind was a total street rat, it was a multi colored & primer
1978 camaro that looked like a 16 year old kid owned it and he made 12 trips to pep boys for chrome crap & chevy bow tie decals. sun roof with sillacone arround the edges.

It total grease bomb under the hood with a wiring & vac hose mess, rusting fenders, stero wires hanging out of the dash, Speaker box hiding a NOS system.......huh? Yep the thing would run 10s on 15x8 cragar SSTs, when I noticed the MT tires with "cooper cobra" carefully painted on the sidewalls I laughed like hell.

He mastered the art of hiding in plain sight.
Best part was he would sucker the guys with nice cars and big egos
and take their money.

Nothing screems to the competition "this guy dont know about engines" like a chrome altenator under the hood
It had Grinded smooth & orange painted Brodex heads on a small block chevy with extra quite high flow mufflers.

I still have a few "hidden tricks" on my T/A, the worn peeling paint,
the shift light led tucked next to the windshield washer nozzle on the hood.

After seeing a 5.0 mustang split in 1/2 in an accident,
the street racing sceen semed a little dumb to keep hanging arround.
I grew up.
I still love the look of a battle scared street race car though.

Last edited by Rack776; 01-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my mind it would be hard to justify any muscle car as a sleeper. Growing up in the late 60's, my best friend had what I considered the ultimate sleeper. Navy blue, 66 Nova 2dr post, with plaid bench seat interior, no carpet and poverty caps. Even had a quite exhaust. Oh yeah, it was a Nicky Chevy L-79 car. Low 12's. Damn I miss that car!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 66 Tempest Custom wagon with 455/column shifted overdrive /bench seat with center armrest I dont really think is a sleeper, because I painted it red, but if I would have left it the factory bronze color it probably would be. My personal idea of a real sleeper would be a post 1974 (with factory convertor) rwd car with some heavy hitting muscle under the hood, such as a 1978 Phoenix hatchback with subframe connectors,a 505 inch Pontiac, M22, and 3.73 rear axle. All this with a sneaky quiet exhaust on it and a baby blue "grandma" looking paint job with a white landau top.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stu, that is the best lookin Orange '283' Pontiac engine I've ever seen. Haven't seen Olds80Six around lately.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I've been told I could make some money on the street with this car -

Base Malibu, all steel, painted steel wheels, 555 cu in Chevy (all orange, including aluminum heads and water pump), full factory interior (including production shifter);

best ET 9.85 at 136 mph, naturally aspirated.

To complete the look it needs Malibu Classic hubcaps on it and a half landau top. 350 emblems in place of the 454 ones would help as a sleeper as well.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Sleeper" http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ght=turbo+door

Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
To complete the look it needs Malibu Classic hubcaps on it and a half landau top. 350 emblems in place of the 454 ones would help as a sleeper as well.
Dark window tint to hide the cage.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipster View Post
A sleeper is just a car that goes a lot faster that it looks like it would. A musclecar can be a sleeper. If you have a GTO that runs in the elevens but looks all stock, then it is a sleeper, because you would expect it to be running in the 14's or high 13's.
Exactly. By my definition, a sleeper is a car that runs quicker than an experienced person would guess.

The FAST cars are a good example of sleepers.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted this picture in one of the previous discussions on "sleepers".

Every car in this picture (except for the one I'm sitting in ) runs 10s or 11s... the red Mustang has run a 9.84. I'd call 'em sleepers.

Rick's RAII 'Bird runs 10.30s. Check out the motor, factory intake, Q-jet, iron exhaust manifolds, zzzzzzzz...

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw

Last edited by goatless; 01-15-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

The engine compartment in that Bird looks very nice. That is the way I like to see em. Very well detailed. Modifications on the inside where it counts.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a Tempest Sprint 6 in May 1966. By the fall of 68, after two summers of drag racing at Dragway 42 and Thompson Raceway the OHC-6 was getting pretty tired. I found a 400 out of a 67 GTO at Giant Auto Wrecking in Akron, also a 66 tripower set up and a Muncie 4 speed. Now I had a real sleeper. Steel wheels, poverty caps, 6 cylinder emblems and the sprint stripes. The guys with their sectretary's 289 Mustangs really got a surprise when they ran me at a stop light.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always wanted to do a base 70-73 Bird, put 15 inch rims with hubcaps so discrete, keep base body stock, add TA suspension, built 455 and stealth ram air to the cowl. Maybe hang some baby shoes from the inside rearview.... then go trolling for street suckers....

Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Boost Engineer

1972 Chevrolet Dual Rear Wheel Truck with (4) 30" tall slicks mounted in the steel wheels, (8) "bails of hay" made from styrofoam with hay glued on the sides, some loose straw thrown in the bed, a 572 BB Chebby engine with 3 stages of NOS, and a driver in bib over-alls, a straw hat, and chit covered waders.

Tom Vaught

Real vehicle, made a lot of money against 5.0" blower mustangs on a famous road in Michigan.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Yeah,,,but I could never bring myself to go that far,,,LOL...

And besides,I really hate it when the full wheel covers pop off when the sidewalls start wrinkling up on the really hard launches.

That's a dead give-away too.

Bret P.
thats what sheetmetal screws are for ..

Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

QUOTE>>" IE: Start with a lowly old LeMans" << END QUOTE
Why bother, Pontiac MADE the sleepers

RIGHT HERE>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgtOAG9wAOo

GT-37 Information
1971 GT-37

The Pontiac GT-37 is an example of rare American muscle. Based on the Tempest (1970) and LeMans (1971 T-37, it was basically an engine and appearance upgrade package. Marketed as a "poor-man's GTO", with taglines such as "There's a little GTO in every GT-37, and you don't have to be over 30 to afford it," the GT-37 delivered power and looks at a bargain price. Basically a stripped-down GTO, the GT-37 could be compared to other inexpensive "bare-bones" musclecars like the Plymouth Road Runner.

Available engines for the GT-37 were the 350ci 2bbl., a 400ci 4bbl, and the stump-pulling 455ci 4bbl. with a TH400 transmission. There are manual transmission cars out there as well.

Decals varied between the years, ranging from '69 "Judge" style stripes in '70, to a unique sweeping decal in '71. Other options that could be found on the GT-37 were Rallye II wheels, white letter tires, dual exhaust with chrome tips, GT-37 emblems, and hood pins.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Suspended

the old ratty 63 4 door Newport I had 413 with inline duals , headers , imperial mufflers ,a typewriter trans , 4:10 with a suregrip ,15X8 squad rims and old firestone cheaterslicks , and hubcaps all around , looked like a POs with all the rust , and torn up interior , made mucho bucks picking on 5.0s and camaros in the 80's with it .all the kids thought the cam was a engine missing cylinders from a bad tune up . was doing good till the back of the trans broke , it was the goofy universal ( ball type) couldn't find parts for it ,

after i parted it I found out that I could have converted the tailshaft to a modern style unit

Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 PM

Smile

I am holding my late brothers 4500 lb 1971 Buick Riviera that has ran a 12.8 in the 1/4.

Sleeper or No?