THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When was the last time

you road a train as a passenger.

Wifi and cell phone both work. Going from Puyallup to Everett, WA. $8.50 one way.
Haven't ridden on one sinc 1965 from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC.
Smooth ride and easy transfering from one to the other.

Would have cost over $30 in gas to drive the 180 miles round trip. Going to get the wife and visit the son with the broken leg.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

That would be a cool trip.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I take it from Santa Ana to San Diego quite often.Follows the coast down along the beach.Great view and no traffic.Might take it this weekend t0 look at a boat I have interest in buying.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Boost Engineer

I rode on some of the first AMTRAK trains from Michigan to Kansas back in the early 70s.

I would get on the train from Detroit to Chicago and travel from there to Chicago. I would switch trains and get on the train that went through Kansas and then to the southwestern states. If I left Michigan at 4:00 PM I could be in Kansas by the next morning and not the least bit tired from the road trip. It was CHEAP in those days too.

I always wanted to take the "CANADIAN SNOW TRAIN" (TORONTO TO VANCOUVER)
but have not made the trip yet.

Tom Vaught

ps You could carry certain things on a train that you could not get through security at an airport (:>)

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom Vaught,
If you do get this way let me know and we[ll see if we can get together. My wife is from Vancouver, BC.

Last time I road it, I was going up to ask for my wife's hand. Her father was glad to give it and the rest of her to me. LOL Been married to her since '66.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rode from Newport News Va. to Topeka, Kansas (and back) in '66. In 1969 I went from Frankfurt, to Garmisch.
It's something I've looked into doing again soon. I think the Utah/Colorado area in the spring would be an awesome ride.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rode from my home in Arkansas to Denver and back. It was a vacation because I wanted to say I'd done one long distance ride on a train in my life. The wife and I enjoyed it but were poor. Riding coach sucked. I'd do it again in a heartbeat with a sleeper car. I met wonderful people on that 2 day ride. Sleeping through the plains states wasn't bad either.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you got off in Denver you were just getting to the good part!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a kid on some narrow gauge old timey tourist one years ago in Pensylvania.

I no longer want to fly due to many reasons and train may indeed be in my future. Sleeper car and cocktails.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Ride the commuters from the end of the line to downtown Chicago every once and a while , beats driving and trying to find a cheap parking spot down there that your car is safe in . its a 1 hour ride about 45 miles . rode Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago , I should have took the bus , it took us 10 hours for a normally 5 hour ride ( its 4 1/2 by car) we had equipment problems and barely made it into the city .only reason why I took it was it was close to where I had to drop the truck off at, and flying was too expensive .

Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.thetrain.com/Steam-Event-7275.html

The wife and I went to the Grand Canyon and rode the train, it was awesome! If you've never been to the GC put it on your bucket list. I had a blast. Scroll down and watch the video. Really cool.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4 yrs ago ,rode the fast train in France from Tours to Paris....
3 yrs ago rode the normal quick train from Malmo in Sweden to Stockholm...

they sure are different from when I used to take the train from Stockholm out to the country to visit my grand father in the late 40s!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Every work day. From Lockport, IL to Union Station in Chicago. It's about a 1 hour trip if we don't get delayed by freight traffic, signal problems or heavy passenger loading . But, it still beats the crap out of having to drive it every day and pay for parking, then fight traffic coming home. It's much cheaper, too.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

The wife and I have been looking at a vacation, 3 weeks or so, via train. We plan on getting a sleeper car from Chicago to Seattle (probably Everett since my Mom and Dad are there), visit family, then down the coast to California, spend some time there, then across the Southwest and Midwest back to Chicago.

We just have to figure out when we can do this.

May the torque be with you.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM

1977 Muncie In to Bozeman Mt and then back home 10 days later.

Awesome trip!

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive never taken a train on a long trip, but take it into the city from time to time. My daughter loves taking the train. On the weekends is $5 round trip per adult and kids are free. Cant beat that!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
4 yrs ago ,rode the fast train in France from Tours to Paris....
3 yrs ago rode the normal quick train from Malmo in Sweden to Stockholm...

they sure are different from when I used to take the train from Stockholm out to the country to visit my grand father in the late 40s!
I just looked into something similar for us when we go to Rome in 10 days. We have three days in Rome and then going to spend two days in Paris, but a train ride cost $225 a piece, did not include meals, and was an overnight because it takes 14 hours for the complete trip. So after looking around, I found a flight from Rome to Paris which will get us there in 2 hours and only cost $250 a piece. I'd rather spend the extra time in Paris then sitting on a train. And for some reason, they didn't like the fact that I wanted to return 3 days later. Seemed to no understand that and wouldn't even let me book it that way.

Oh, well. Flying to Paris instead. I love this whole Honeymoon/Wedding all tied in to one! All we've got to do is get the reception party together! Oh, and survive the Bachelorette Party next weekend...

DONE 11.738 @ 114 mph

See my thread in Best Pontiac Stories
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=598985

Mrs. Rob B as of 9/25/2010

THE BEAR KILLER
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wife and i flew from mi. to wa. and took a train back. 3 days on a train was along time. that was 1994.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every day...Long Island Commuter Rail Road to and from Manhattan...for 20 years.

Also periodically ride the Acela (Amtrak's version of a bullet train) to DC, Philadelphia and Boston. Great ride but round trip averages $230 Sometimes it is cheaper to take the shuttle and fly.