Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-07-2024, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not familiar with Fitech, does it have extra inputs and outputs like Holley does?

My Sniper has extra inputs and outputs, so I run a transducer on the fuel line, go into the computer and tell it fuel pressure and check the necessary boxes etc.... so I can now read fuel pressure on the touch screen. Did the same with oil pressure.

The nice thing about that is that Holley now automatically will datalog those features once they are added so I don't have to try and stare at gauges on WOT runs, just datalog and go back and look at it. I've also set safety features along with the added data so if something is out of range it will alert me.

Might be something to look into in the future. Maybe someone more familiar with Fitech will chime in and explain if any of that is a possibility.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 04-07-2024, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the upper FItech models might have logging, but all the base throttle body kits do not.

I know others who have FItech stuff that are adding systems for logging, some even are moving to MSD Grid.

Same people who discovered issues with the internal regulator completely bypass the internal one, going to an external, which allows for adjustments. The internal ones either fail out of box, or continue to fail in-use, regardless of how many they've replaced.

I think even FItech support at one point was advising to move to an external regulator, but that may have been in earlier models.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-07-2024, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

FiTech will log, but only its own sensors. You can’t log anything external with it. So no way for me to log fuel pressure unfortunately.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

Has a new fuel pump been put in yet? I have seen fuel pumps working fine until heat builds up in it from (hot)return line gas and then you have issues like it appears you are having.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Had some time this afternoon to play around with the car after doing some work on it late last weekend and this week.

I replaced the fuel pump along with a complete rebuild, including new gaskets, internal return lines and wiring pigtails. Additionally I swapped out the coil for a known food Blaster 2 coil and reverified that the rotor phasing wasn't out. The lockout mechanism on this Summit Billet distributor has a small amount of play in it, but nothing that is creating an issue where the rotor paddle isn't directly under the cap terminal at loaded ignition advance.

I can't yet be 100% certain this has done the trick, but the car did perform much better. I can't yet go full throttle as I've reset the complete learn on the system and it needs some time to adapt to the changes.

Prior to this work I took the advice of Paul K as well as Steve C and did some troubleshooting on the ignition system itself. Idling and free reving in the dark, there is no arcing apparent in any of the plug wires or their boots, including the coil to cap wire. Without load on the engine, I was able to bring free revs up to above 5000 rpm and hold them there for over 5 seconds without a hint of a miss.

I do think that I had a failing fuel pump or a dying coil, possibly both. Considering the engine will rev all the way to 5000 rpm and beyond without load leads be to believer there is not a valvetrain related issue here, which I'm certainly thankful for. It appears to have only been load dependent.

For good measure I'm going to purchase a new set of plug wires as these ones were installed at the same time as the FiTech back in 2015. I'll grab a NIB Blaster 2 coil while I'm at it to keep as a spare.

I'll update again as I get some miles on the car, but hopefully this chapter is closed and I can enjoy the driving season!

Old 04-12-2024, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up, it sounds like you got.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:16 PM
Senior Chief

Right on. I figured just a fuel pump was your main issue from the start. Dealt with same thing myself. I went to the new AC Delco (ZL1) non-return line in tank pump (can buy anywhere anytime) with a Vaporworx PWM and never looked back. Flawless set up. Ideal in my opinion.

Last edited by 65madgoat; 04-12-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SWEET!!! Think you got it!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be