Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Engine won't turn over

Hello again, Well I put a little mystery oil in my cylinders of my 1967 GTO today and then went to turn it over by hand. It only turn about 1/4 turn and then it hits something solid in the engine and won't turn any farther. I can then turn it back the other way again for about 1/4 turn and then it hits something solid.

Now it was turning over fine about a month ago. Then about the same time I used a converted distributor and a drill and spun the oil pump to get oil throughout the engine. The valve covers were off and I could see the oil coming out of the push rods so I quit and put the valve covers back on.

Yesterday I went to prime the engine with oil again and used the same technique but no oil was observed so I quit.

Now today I went to turn the engine over by hand and as I stated above it hits something solid.

I a wondering if maybe I damaged the oil pump or something came loose in the oil pump and is now preventing the engine from turning over.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome. I dread having to pull the oil pan off to inspect it if there is an easier way.

Thank all of you for you help on many subjects.
alan

Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you re-install the dist or are you turning by hand with dist still out? Wondering if it is possible that the oil drive shaft maybe got displaced when you removed your 'drive tool'
I once had a pushrod drop out next to a lifter when reinstalling heads and dropping pushrods into position. I didn't notice and was turning motor by hand while adjusting valves. I would have caught it when I got to that valve, but that pushrod had dropped down by camshaft and motor wouldn't turn. Easy fix, but your case could be something as simple.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The oil pump shaft has come out of the oil pump and fallen partly down. Get some long needle nose pliers and pull it back up into place.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was turning over by hand, the distributor is not in the car. I can see the shaft end the end that goes into the distributor. If it fell down some like Tininjun stated what will hold it in place if I pull it back up?? How is it held in place?? I really need some more information about how it could have fallen and how can I keep it up when I pull the shaft up.
Please if you know any of the answer tell me. I need some assurance that if I pull it back up and then later start the car, that the oil shaft won't fall when the engine is running and destroy the engine.

Thank you so very much.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you please give me more information on how the shaft is suppose to stay in place and how it could have fallen? If I pull it back up will it stay in place when the engine is running. I am thinking that if it fell down once why won't it do it again maybe when the engine is running and destroy the engine. Please help with information if you can.

thanks
alan

Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

when the dist is in place it holds the oil pump shaft in place so it can not fall out of place

Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the oil pump drive rod come loose in one of my engines. I had to pull the engine and replace the drive rod. After that I did a test on an engine, and I was able to work the drive rod out if the distributor was not installed. So it is possible to have that happen as a result of priming the engine, but you would see that the rod was not protruding far enough. Apparently I didn't check that close enough after priming the engine.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you lifted out your priming distributor it pulled up the drive rod with it enough to uncouple it from the oil pump and now it has fallen back down out of place.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With your restricted amount of rotation it sounds like the drive rod slipped down far enough to hit the Cranks rear counter weight!
I think the only chance you have of not taking the oil pan off to correct this will be to get one of those new very strong telescoping mechanics magnets , taping it up so it does not pivet too far, and seing if you can still yank it up & out.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the shaft was put in correctly it will not come all the way out of the block.
(the tangs on it are between the pump and block)

If the tangs were ground off and inserted from the top, it would be more likely to have pulled up and fallen down into the pan/crank.

If you can still see the shaft, that's good!

Take a strong light and climb back there to look down into the distributor hole.

If it's correctly mounted, it should be sitting on the pump drive spade/post/connector.
(probably hard to tell if you have never seen how it fits normally)

If it is off, you will see it cocked to side and see the pump stud where it should fit on.

Hoping for the best.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John - that's not always true. I did a test on an engine stand, and I was able to get the rod to disconnect from the oil pump. It was a stock rod with the tangs on it.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's true that it can come off the pump.
It shouldn't be able to come out of the engine from the top.

If the tangs are still on the rod, it could be a little more difficult to put it back in place on the pump.
(not much room to move around)

Happy Thanksgiving, Jim.
And everyone else, too.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep it was the shaft falling. I pulled it out with some needle nose pliers and it came all the way out. So will order a new one tomorrow. Thank you all so very much for you expertise. I was thinking I would have to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pump. Now don't have too. It's a good day.
alan

Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you were able to get it out. I had to pull the engine to fix mine.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wait a minute. A new drive with the correct tangs on it will not go in from the top. When the pump is installed, the drive rod is dropped in from the bottom, the tabs stopping it from falling out through the top, and the oil pump is positioned and lined up with the pump drive rod. Once righted, the pump drive stays on the pump but cannot be pulled out by the distributer because of the tangs on the drive. To install a drive from the top requires the tangs to be ground off and then you are prone to the same problem again.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What aceaceca said. Oil pan and pump will need removed to install new shaft correctly.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just grind the tabs off and drop it in from the top.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Just grind the tabs off and drop it in from the top.
Then why bother with a new rod at all?

Old 11-24-2017, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a chance the old one got bent. Mine did.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
There's a chance the old one got bent. Mine did.
Ah, yes. Easy enough to check.