THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Do you own a compact tractor?

Im wondering how many folks have compact tractors out there.

I picked up a John Deere 750 4WD 20hp (pic attached) with a loader a few years ago and am looking to upgrade to something slightly larger. I bought the 750 because it was garage kept, super clean, relatively low hours, came with a rake, blade, brush hog, post hole digger, belly mower and the price was right. Its been a super machine, but the width of it has been a big issue since day 1. My property is very hilly and the 750 is only 45” wide so it feels very “tippy” on a regular basis. I just bought an Enorossi 210 sickle mower and the tippy-ness is now multiplied to one side. I have a few ideas how to compensate for the sickle mower (wheel weights, filled tires, wheel spacers, sickle counter balance) but Im thinking about just selling the 750 and upgrading to a new/ used 30-40hp tractor. Im primarily looking at Kubota and John Deere since they both have service departments close to my house, but Im also looking at other brands like New Holland, Bobcat, Kioti, and Branson.
So my questions are:
1. what kind of tractor do you have (year make model)
2. how long have you had it
3. How do you use it (daily for work, casually for home or ?)
4. what do you like about it
5. what do you dislike about it
6. If you wanted to upgrade what would you buy

Thanks
Frank T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1077.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	560726  

Old 02-14-2021, 10:27 AM

John Deere 950 and 5200 since '96

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

(1) John Deere 950 1983 (I think)
(2) Dad bought it new
(3) Hobby farm
(4) Its a John Deere, and Dad bought it new
(5) Its a stinking diesel!
(6) Another John Deere that was gasoline powered (ALL real tractors are painted green and yellow! )

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:51 AM

I bought a brand new Kubota L3400 HST with loader in 2006, currently have about 350 hrs on it, and absolutely love it. I mow on an incline around the dam on my pond, and it does great, it is a pretty heavy tractor for its size, I believe it is a 34-36HP tractor. I am including a picture of the exact one I have, as I have not taken any pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l3400.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	560730  

The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis H. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
So my questions are:
1. Kubota BX2200 2001
2. Bought it new
3. Only have 2 acres but amazed how important it is to maintain my property over the last 20 years (grass, snow, mulch, dirt, shuffling trailers, etc). 60” belly mower, FEL, box blade, landscape rake and post hole digger
4. It’s a diesel
5. I probably look ridiculous on it (I’m 6’4” close to 300 lbs)
6. Another Kubota but probably 30hp range and more FEL capacity to better use pallet forks.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Kubota B2910 I bought 22 years ago. 4 cylinder 29hp. It has 1850 hours on it. I bought it with their front end loader and 72” belly mower. It has been trouble free aside from some hose leaks on the loader. The belly mower is built like a tank and cuts nicely.

I can say this was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is a 2009 Kioti CK27. Has a loader on front, & a cheap 5' bush hog(generic brand rotary cutter) on back. Has the wide industrial tread tires, but I don't know what the track width is, never measured. It has the manual trans, with clutch, which I prefer. Don't have any complaints about it. Has about 600 hours, IIRC. Bought it because it was my pick of the cheapest brands available, at the time of purchase.

Around here, Kubota has the best resale value. So, if that makes a difference, I'd go with a Kubota, in the size/model you want.

Back when I was shopping, I made test drives on quite a few brands/models. I didn't like the "compact" JD models, at all. Would have chosen several others before it.

BUT, my pick of all those I tested was a larger JD. I don't remember the exact model. But it was either 30 or 35hp. It was bigger, heavier, wider, and SMOOTHER. Yeah, that was my main impression -- It was SMOOTH !

I'm not a tractor expert, by any means. But, I grew up working tractors of several brands, mostly Ford gas burners. I think I've read that the JD "compact" tractors are made overseas, & made to specs so that they can compete with the lower prices of the other cheaper brands.

But, I assume that the higher priced tractors, are made to higher standards, & JD assumes that most serious JD fans will pay the higher price, to get the JD. in 2009, my Kioti, with loader, was only about $11k + tax, IIRC At that time, the bigger JD was over $20k, & out of my range. But, if it had been within my budget, I'd have bought it immediately after my test drive. Yeah, I was impressed. Guessing the total price of one of those is now over $30k.

This article says that JD has manufacturing plants in Mexico, South America, Europe, India, as well as in the USA.

https://allamericanreviews.com/john-deere/

The model 3033R is one I'd check out. It has a Yanmar engine. Both Yanmar & JD have facilities in GA. Guessing that JD gets it's Yanmar engines form the GA Yanmar plant. Don't really have a clue.

https://www.deere.com/en/tractors/co...eries-compact-

https://compactequip.com/tractors/ya...ractors/3033r/

If I were you, I'd measure the width of the rear track you have, & make sure the model you buy has a wider track. Hey, that reminds me of the "Wide Track Pontiacs".

The 3039R has a bit more power. Don't know if the track is wider, or not. Obviously, you can go with the hydro trans if you prefer.

https://www.deere.com/en/tractors/co...xoChWsQAvD_BwE

Hey, at every dealership I went to, they let me test drive the tractors. I'd test those that have the width track you want. It might help you make your choice.

Might also be wise to buy from an area dealer that has good customer service. The 3-point hitch on my Kioti would not work, after it was delivered. The dealer brought me another tractor to use, while they fixed my new one. They did all the hauling & didn't cost me a penny. BUT, that dealer is no longer in business. And, there is not a Kioti dealer in my area. So, if my Kioti needs repair, I'll just have to find some area shade tree tractor repair guy to fix it. That's a good reason to buy from a big volume dealer, with a history of good customer service.

There are several good tractor forums. This one says that there are some assembly plants in the USA, but most of the parts are shipped from overseas. I've read that a lot of tractor parts are made in India.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-made-u-s.html

" John Deere compacts are all built in Augusta Georgia. It’s a little more than just sticking the wheels on...the ehydro tranny is built (yes actually built) in Ames Iowa the engines are Yanmar as most of you know, but the harnesses, engines, axles, are all put together there. Yanmar hasn’t made rebranded tractors for JD in quite a while.
The loaders I think are made in Mexico. It’s as American as you’re gonna get for a compact."

Here's some Kubota LX3310 videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT7Gbux3Gg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT7Gbux3Gg

Here's an LX2610 video. It has 1" rear wheel spacers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKsvBF16dc

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-14-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a yard thats sixty feet wide, six feet from the house to the fence deep and covered with artificial turf and planters, this is about as close to a compact tractor I'll ever own lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21D7F17D-2A3B-4BA3-A266-8C4760198422_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	560754   Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA41A2A-E131-4DBC-AE7B-D38475357783_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	560755  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-14-2021, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a new 3025e last year, mainly to run a bush hog and pull a box blade on our driveway. I like it just fine, has plenty of power and loader does everything I need.

For the price I felt it was the best deal going, 0% for 84 months, lots of dealer support. Kubota was a little more tractor for more money, Kioti was more tractor for the same money but dealer was pretty far away.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1993 4wd, Ford 1715 (28hp), FEL and backhoe. Paid for itself 3 times over (bought it used in about 2001 for $11,000). Had to split it once to replace the clutch, have replaced a rear wheel and the tires over the years.

Also have a 2003? Kubota BX2200, (18 hp?), 50" mower, 60" snow thrower, cab, heat. Been very reliable so far, no major problems. Bought it used about 2008 for $9000 with the mower, cab and snow thrower.

Both have been very useful on our 12 acres, both have more than earned their keep. To be honest I wouldn't swap either one for something else, both are the right size for their jobs. Have removed probably 50 stumps with the Ford, moved many tons of soil and gravel, carried many logs, dug lots of trenches, set a couple of hundred 450# landscaping blocks.

The Kubota has mowed three acres for 12 years now, thrown hundreds of tons of snow, plowed and disc'ed a lot of ground (garden plot), chipped tons of brush.

The Ford ... great machine, easy to work on, dead reliable, no frills basic machine. A real work horse, manual transmission. Wouldn't change a thing.

The Kubota, great small tractor, a pain to work on since it's very compact, small size helps sometimes. Has been very reliable with minimal maintenance. Any major work on it pretty much requires taking the sheet metal off, it has a lot of stuff jammed in a very small space ... but that's the nature of a sub-compact.

If you are looking at new tractors .... there are a lot of problems with the new computerized diesels, the new emissions equipment on them are causing major headaches for people. Much like a car they have codes (except only dealers can read them), all kinds of failure modes so being close to a dealer is going to be important.

My old Ford is old school, mechanical injection, basically if you can turn spin the motor it will start. The Kubota is non computerized, but electric fuel pump (probably way less money and easier to replace than mechanical injection). The Kubota is perfect for lawn upkeep, snow and gardening ... but smaller than what you already have.

I'd strongly recommend joining the TractorBuyNet forum and reading up on the new tractors. Although you might end up wanting to buy something that is pre-emission.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I extremely happy with my various John Deeres, probably the biggest consideration if buying a tractor is to check out the reputation of your local dealer.

We have a local CaseIH, and a local Allis Chalmers. The closest John Deere dealer is now 30 miles away; and they outsell the others locally by probably 15 or 20 to 1 simply because of their service.

If there is a problem (or if one wants a complete service) they offer free pickup and delivery.

I wouldn't change a thing on the 950; except if Dad hadn't bought it new, I would trade in a heartbeat for a gasoline version. Lots of good memories.

But why don't I like diesel?

(1) If the ambient is below 35 degrees, the crankcase heater will have to be plugged in for an hour, or it won't start.
(2) If the ambient falls below zero, the diesel fuel freezes.

What good is a front-end loader in the winter if the fuel freezes?

Fortunately, I have a gasoline Gator with a cab and front blade; and a gasoline 318 with a cab and front blade. The 318 has 2800 hours, and smokes a little, but still will start at 15 below (maybe colder).

So, suggest you check out your local dealers reputation, unless you wish to do all of your own maintenance.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2017 Kubota BX2380 with a fel and box blade
had it three years
use it to move and spread dirt, move trees I've cut down to the rear burn pile, pick up and move car parts, move trailers & cars
I like everything about it and wish I'd bought it 20 years ago when we bought this property
what I dislike about it is that it is the smallest thing Kubota makes so I have to take small bites, but it fits under the 4 post lift and the next size up would not
if I were to replace it I'd buy another Kubota

I'm no tractor expert but I think the tippy thing will probably apply to any tractor you have you just have to attack the hills head on, not at an angle, and keep the bucket down low when loaded. +2 on the TractorByNet forum

Old 02-14-2021, 06:07 PM

One thing in consideration in the newer tractors with a diesel is the need for DEF, I personally want no part of it, as i see the problems that newer diesel trucks have with it. My diesel does not have it, and I am sure glad about that. I have had absolutely no problems with mine starting in the extreme cold, it has a glow plug preheater you activate for a few seconds before starting, and it fires right up, I just replaced the original battery after 16 years, only because it was laboring a little in the cold startup, but actually it is still a good battery and was still usable. I do take my loader off when I do any mowing, because it is such a hassle trying to maneuver around obstacles with it on. It only takes a few minutes to remove and reattach the loader.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought this video was very interesting. It's from a guy who sells used JD & Kubota tractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBKhxJ5DA64

Old 02-14-2021, 06:34 PM

Had a Ford 3000 Power shift with FEL and then Inherited my dads Rhino 554 MFWD
55 HP with FEL. Sold the Ford, although was a good tractor.

Rhino does every thing I need but someday a new Hydro cabbed tractor with a
pull type snow snow blower would be nice.
I like the new Bransons. 4 range with syncro in both shuttle and hydro . No fancy Common rail injection-simple mechanical unit. Like how heavy built they are and really Good FEL specs to.

Another family member bought a new JD 3025E and likes it.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1991 1070. And a 2003 4310 with 4x4 and a front end loader.
They are both green.
They are both diesel.

And they both started this morning at -1 below zero !

Mite have to put the bucket on tomorrow and push snow ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	560773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	560774  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
One thing in consideration in the newer tractors with a diesel is the need for DEF, I personally want no part of it, as i see the problems that newer diesel trucks have with it. My diesel does not have it, and I am sure glad about that. I have had absolutely no problems with mine starting in the extreme cold, it has a glow plug preheater you activate for a few seconds before starting, and it fires right up, I just replaced the original battery after 16 years, only because it was laboring a little in the cold startup, but actually it is still a good battery and was still usable. I do take my loader off when I do any mowing, because it is such a hassle trying to maneuver around obstacles with it on. It only takes a few minutes to remove and reattach the loader.
As I understand it, the newer emissions stuff has some carveouts for tractors under 25 HP or so. So a lot of manufacturers are making fairly substantial tractors with exactly 25 HP so they don’t have to have all the extra emissions junk. Examples include JD 3025e, Kubota L2501, and Kioti CK2610. There are plenty of others.

So you can get into a new tractor without all the crazy emissions stuff but you are limited to 25 HP.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just reread your original post.

I do not know if there are current models, but 60 years ago, at least John Deere offered low profile tractors which they sold to state highway departments to mow right-of-ways.

I have a John Deere MI (em eye) that is about 16 inches lower than the standard M. Came with a belly mower. I think it would slide before tipping.

But the only way for an old man to get on the tractor is from a parachute!

Jon.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went out & measured my rear tires, on the Kioti CK27.

Looks to be aprox 61", measured from the outside of the tire cleats. It has the 15-19.5 R4 ind tires.

From what I can gather, the L2501 Kubota is real popular. After having used this Kioti for about 12 years, IMO, 25hp is plenty of power to do everything I'll need to do with a tractor. Runs a 5' bush hog just fine, & runs the loader just fine. It'll actually run the 5' hog at a ground speed that is to ruff for me. So, I run it one gear lower, just to make for a smoother ride. I'd say this tractor has as much, if not more power than the 30hp gas Fords my Dad had. But, I haven't tried to run any hay balers, or heavy discs. For what I do, a 30hp tractor would be a waste of power & money.

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defau...eets/l2501.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1yyAsvXmk

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-14-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned and operated over 10 different JD in the sub and compact class.
Thoughts on Tip over mowing .. Don't get a conventional tractor, get a VENTRAC
Dual wheels on all 4 corners and articulating middle with 4X4 cannot be beat on hills, sideways, etc.
Watch Tim use one .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Xr1-enLfw