Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-06-2023, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Get someone else to do it. What is the big deal about Butler having to rebuild anyone's engine ?
EXACTLY!!! There are many builders out there that can do just as good or better.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Ferris For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferris View Post
EXACTLY!!! There are many builders out there that can do just as good or better.
Just pick a good machine shop and build it yourself.
There is always the pride of know you did it and turned every nut and bolt yourself.
You could write a check and have it done. But its not the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferris View Post
GO TO ANY ONE OF THEM IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY.

(I am sure that the Butler family is not going to starve because you will not have them work on your engine. Same deal with Tony Bischoff.)

Have a good day.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, I don’t know how much of a trip it would be for you but I have a shop thats like 20 minute drive from me. The nice thing is one of the guys that helps run it is a Pontiac guy. He has it all dyno flow bench. When they moved into this new building he had built, I did the plumbing. So I have a great relationship with all. And I can tell you, their work is right on the money. From the balancing to the boring. I’ve done quite a few motors through them just helping friends. You know kind of over seeing everything.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Just curios, has anyone gotten an engine built from butler in the last 3 years, everytime i email them about an engine being built, i get, you need to order from such a date..................i call on that date, and get we are already booked for that year.............guess i will have to try for 2024.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
GO TO ANY ONE OF THEM IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY.

(I am sure that the Butler family is not going to starve because you will not have them work on your engine. Same deal with Tony Bischoff.)

Have a good day.

Tom V.
Tom,
Just how long should he wait to try and get Butler to build has engine before going elsewhere?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 10-06-2023, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Rich, I don’t know how much of a trip it would be for you but I have a shop thats like 20 minute drive from me. The nice thing is one of the guys that helps run it is a Pontiac guy. He has it all dyno flow bench. When they moved into this new building he had built, I did the plumbing. So I have a great relationship with all. And I can tell you, their work is right on the money. From the balancing to the boring. I’ve done quite a few motors through them just helping friends. You know kind of over seeing everything.
Hey thanks Gatch, R.I..............that would be one long trip.........the only reason i mentioned Butler in the first place.............i really dont want to fix this motor again, been done 3 times and still the same issues...........so im assuming something is wrong with the block itself..............for all these oil leakage issues. This motor has been in and out 3 times, im getting too old to keep messing with this thing.........was hoping to get everything done at one place and be done with it..................when checking with butler, they have no 455 blocks, so i would have to use mine..............not gonna go in that direction.

Just going to keep my eyes open and see if anything used comes up, within a day or two of driving to pick it up.................not looking for a stock type build.

As far as doing it myself, wished i would have tried that 20 yrs ago, while working i could afford a major mishap and have to start over ...............now on SS its a different story............lol

Rich

Old 10-06-2023, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear you’re Rich. This rear main seal issue quite a few are having just blowing me away.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you considered Paul Spotts in Hatfield, Pennsylvania.

Last edited by 68WarDog; 10-06-2023 at 08:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68WarDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 09:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Tom,
Just how long should he wait to try and get Butler to build has engine before going elsewhere?

Stan
Simple telephone call would tell him where he would be in the Butler "cue".
Not rocket science Stan. If the date is too far out then depending on where he is located in the US there are other qualified engine builders out there.

No mention, from others, about where the ECM guys have gotten their engines build over the years.

So without info you really can't make any decision. Just complain about Butlers possible delivery date.

This is really not hard, Stan.

TV

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2023, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn’t see him complaining about Butler mostly showing disappointment.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We don't have anything pre built nor are we doing any new builds until further notice due to the number of jobs booked already.

We can offer this in unassembled kit form and as a ball park estimate
This was on 5/15/2023.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple telephone call would tell him where he would be in the Butler "cue".
Not rocket science Stan. If the date is too far out then depending on where he is located in the US there are other qualified engine builders out there.

Not arguing with you, but getting them on the phone isnt all that simple................so i use email, usually get a answer in a few days, and its usually we are booked for this year, then they give you a date to try again........... which is on the next year, call on that day, and were booked for the year is the reply...................so im probably doing this wrong, i will email them and ask what year my name might be on the list......................I know there is plenty top builders in the country.............i may have to go that route.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtorich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 11:49 AM
Boost Engineer

Joe, at Moldex Crankshaft, usually has a waiting list for his work and the time line is typically over a year to get a crank from him. When you receive it it will be a excellent crankshaft.

You can go to Bryant or a couple of other places but you will wait for the part to be completed.

Crower is the same story.

You can buy "offshore material" connecting rods or you can buy Carrillo connecting rods.
You will wait for the Carrillo rods. Planning the project before hand has a lot to do with
getting parts so you can race down the road.

This is not "Rocket Science", just pre-planning.

I am sure there are others who can help you with getting a engine properly built.

Good Day.

Tom V.

Old 10-07-2023, 11:50 AM
Boost Engineer

Joe, at Moldex Crankshaft, usually has a waiting list for his work and the time line is typically over a year to get a crank from him. When you receive it it will be a excellent crankshaft.

You can go to Bryant or a couple of other places but you will wait for the part to be completed.

You can buy "offshore material" connecting rods or you can buy Carrillo connecting rods.
You will wait for the Carrillo rods. Planning the project before hand has a lot to do with

I am sure there are others who can help you with getting a engine properly built.

Good Day.

Tom V.

Old 10-07-2023, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO you shouldn't need one of the "top" builders in the Country to build a good engine.... Just one of the many competent shops.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Good Day.

Tom V.
Tom,
The OP called Butler isn't that trying to pre-plan. From what the OP has posted it sounds like Butler said they are not taking anymore work right now. People only have so many "Summers of our Life" to enjoy. People can not wait forever.

Stan

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Hey thanks Gatch, R.I..............that would be one long trip.........the only reason i mentioned Butler in the first place.............i really dont want to fix this motor again, been done 3 times and still the same issues...........so im assuming something is wrong with the block itself..............for all these oil leakage issues. This motor has been in and out 3 times, im getting too old to keep messing with this thing.........was hoping to get everything done at one place and be done with it..................when checking with butler, they have no 455 blocks, so i would have to use mine..............not gonna go in that direction.

Just going to keep my eyes open and see if anything used comes up, within a day or two of driving to pick it up.................not looking for a stock type build.

As far as doing it myself, wished i would have tried that 20 yrs ago, while working i could afford a major mishap and have to start over ...............now on SS its a different story............lol

Rich
455 block, I take it then your crank 3.25 mains. Reason your wanting 455 block

Old 10-07-2023, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gach, that would be correct.............i have a spare 455 at home now, it was already 30 over when i bought it..............was done without a torque plate.

With all the issues ive had with this present 455..................just want to start over, no problem going with a 400 with stroker kit...............would like to keep my kre heads and tripower.............

Stan made a excellent point...............im not getting younger, 72 now, hoping to hang in there with the car untill 80..........lol.................wasted half my summer waiting for this motor to be done................was told one month, two at the most................took it there in oct got it back June...............now i either drive it like it is or get it fixed again................the motor runs good, just the leaking oil that is driving me nuts...........

Im thinking of hanging in there for awhile and see if anything turns up motor wise for sale...................and if it doesnt leak, big selling point in my book...........lol

Rich

Old 10-07-2023, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So your still seeing a little oil leak in rear main seal area, I take it.

Old 10-07-2023, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gtorich, if I were in your shoes I'd do the smoke test myself and not rely on someone telling me what they didn't see.
You've got a great running engine that leaks oil. My focus would be finding and repairing the leaks rather than searching for an engine builder. Smoke generators can be had for a little over a hundred bucks on Amazon or people have even been known to use a cigar.