Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-02-2001, 03:42 PM
Senior Chief

Since Chuhvie cranks are $1200 or so, what would you pay for a equivalent quality Pontiac forging?

Another question to go along with this is, what would drive demand? Are cranks currently available breaking now?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-02-2001, 03:42 PM
Senior Chief

Since Chuhvie cranks are $1200 or so, what would you pay for a equivalent quality Pontiac forging?

Another question to go along with this is, what would drive demand? Are cranks currently available breaking now?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't feel that breaking is the problem with cast cranks, wear is.
Example: I build a lot of Short track engines. When using a steel SBC crank in a compression engine, I usually only need to polish the crank for a refreshen the next year. When using a cast SBC crank, there is prevalent wear on the rod journals to need turning a majority of the time. They are softer. I have seen more Factory SBC steel cranks break then cast by a 3 to one margin. I feel that some of the bearing problems associated with 455's are a direct result of to much load for the material, but the damage is already done and grenaded before it can be checked. Remember, I said a compression engine, not a street engine. The other problem with having a steel crank made or being used, is make sure it isn't twisted to form the throws as this is a cracking prone deal. Material is another price dictator. Value: My thought, anywhere from $799 to $1299 depending material.

------------------
NOS is like American Express.....You don't leave home without it.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 03-02-2001, 06:01 PM
Suspended

There is a quality forging for sale over on the parts board. Check it out.

------------------
"The goggles....they do NOTHING!!"---Rainier Wolfcastle

Old 03-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

It would certaily be a "no-twist" type of forging of an acceptably high grade of steel. It would be forged in one stroke. The thought is to make the rod journals big enough so it could be offset ground for a stroke ranging from 3.75" to 4.75". Also the thrust area would be designed to permit 3" or 3.25" journals.

The largest cost seems to be in the die. $100,000 if I am recalling correctly. That would take alot of sales to make up. Then there is the machining and related jobs. Are there 500 to 1000 folks who would buy one or two? Looks unlikely. Its going to take someone who wants to help Pontiac motorsports and not nessesarily a businessman. Dude's prices look good, its just difficult to know how many units would be sold.