Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stupid question. Spare Tire

What are people doing for a spare tire when you have a staggered size setup? I have never staggered my tires before and I plan on driving this car when its done.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably best to match the rear height with your spare unless it’s crazy tall and would rub on the front. Rears should be close for the posi rear but how far would you really drive with a spare?

So I think I would get a narrow tire that’s close to the height of the rear and call it good.
Are ya itching to drive that thing?

Lookin Good!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 08-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good answer

Old 08-19-2021, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still about 9 months to a year out but maybe I can beat that. Just getting ready.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:06 PM
Boost Engineer

if you take the time to MEASURE the circumference of the inflated TIRES and even though the width might be different (contact patch on the ground) you can still use a FRONT TIRE SIZE "spare" in all 4 spots on the vehicle.

The trick, when buying the tires in the first place, is to do the measurements and get the front tires smaller width to match the rear tire's wider width as far as DIAMETER and CIRCUMFERENCE goes. Then buy 3 front tires and 2 rear tires.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My last two Cadillac's (my old 2014 ATS4 and my current CT4 Sport) don't have a spare tire. The OE tires (run flats) can be driven without air until you can get to a shop to have them repaired (similar to the temporary spare tires).

I run staggered sizes on the Camaro and GTO. I used to carry a temporary spare (acquired from a salvage yard) close to the diameter of the rear tires, but eventually I realized that these temporary spares were ancient and most likely unsafe at any speed.

I now do not carry a spare tire. If and when I have a flat tire, I'll simply call my Hagerty road service number and have them either patch the tire on site or flatbed the car in to a shop.

Makes for a lot more space in the trunk and saves hauling all that dead weight around...

Old 08-20-2021, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Champ, thank you for the succinct advice. I have USAA, Hagerty, and AAA. I thought your only option was tow. I didn’t know they would patch right there. Good to know.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:23 AM
Boost Engineer

A good plan, but in some places in the UP in Michigan there is no gas station for 50 miles.
Same deal in the Southwest where there MIGHT be one gas station in the same 50 miles, unless they have closed due to lack of sales.

I am sure that those Hagerty service guys are just around the corner right down the road, and waiting for a call. That is why you drive two cars, carry lots of water, AND EXTRA GAS IN MILITARY FUEL CANS before you drive in places like I mentioned. And people do drive in those places often. Beautiful country. But if you hang in Florida or other large cities, Hagarty may be the perfect solution for you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 275/60s in the back, which won't fit on the front. Add to that 2nd gen F bodies have tiny trunks, and you're not left with a lot of options. I dont run a spare.

At least you're not fighting the small trunk battle. lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-20-2021, 11:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
At least you're not fighting the small trunk battle. lol
Agree, The 64 GTO has a nice Trunk Space size. Since 64speed has a 64 Tempest, the suggestions would work for him.

Tom V.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't run a spare in my 64, I mini compressor and a can of slime. Unless you have a blow out it should be good.
we travel around a lot with my car and to this day have not had an issue. Touch wood. LOL.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been carrying one of these in my 78 TA for over 20 years. Never had to use it. Also carry one in the car trailer for the race car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	571649  

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-20-2021, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok follow up question. I know mismatched tires in the rear tear up the clutches in a traditional posi but what about the tru trac

Old 08-20-2021, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run 275-60's on most everything here. Easy to deal with spare.

I also run a 28" tire on the front or very close to it, it's just a skinny. I keep a smaller spare in the trunk. Same applies no matter what tire height you run on the car, so long as you keep the front and back very close.

If I ever get a flat on the rear, I just mount a front tire on the back and put the spare on the front. If I get a flat on the front, doesn't matter how tall the tire is. So the spare works in both situations, just have to be aware it always goes on the front and make an effort when buying new tires that the front runners are very close to the rear tire height.

Simple solution and doesn't take up a ton of room in the trunk. I learned a long time ago to always carry a spare in Arizona. Blow outs are common here with sun beating on hot blacktop all day, it's not something you can fix with an air pump and a plug. And when you're 100's of miles from home I'm not interested in that tow bill, lol.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
if you take the time to MEASURE the circumference of the inflated TIRES and even though the width might be different (contact patch on the ground) you can still use a FRONT TIRE SIZE "spare" in all 4 spots on the vehicle.

The trick, when buying the tires in the first place, is to do the measurements and get the front tires smaller width to match the rear tire's wider width as far as DIAMETER and CIRCUMFERENCE goes. Then buy 3 front tires and 2 rear tires.

Tom V.
I just want to emphasize the measure point. I've learned the actual tire size doesn't necessarily match the the sidewall tire size. I have a set of 33 x 12.5's for my 79 F-250 and they actually measure 31.5 in diameter on 16.5 rims.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I run 275-60's on most everything here. Easy to deal with spare.

I also run a 28" tire on the front or very close to it, it's just a skinny. I keep a smaller spare in the trunk. Same applies no matter what tire height you run on the car, so long as you keep the front and back very close.

If I ever get a flat on the rear, I just mount a front tire on the back and put the spare on the front. If I get a flat on the front, doesn't matter how tall the tire is. So the spare works in both situations, just have to be aware it always goes on the front and make an effort when buying new tires that the front runners are very close to the rear tire height.

Simple solution and doesn't take up a ton of room in the trunk. I learned a long time ago to always carry a spare in Arizona. Blow outs are common here with sun beating on hot blacktop all day, it's not something you can fix with an air pump and a plug. And when you're 100's of miles from home I'm not interested in that tow bill, lol.
Very Good Post. Tom V.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom

I appreciate your comments about remote areas. I live and travel in many remote areas. I've also had only one truly "flat" tire in the last 41 years. I've had a couple of slow leaks, but only 1 true flat tire.

Although run flats are only "recommended" for 50 miles, I'm sure many people have driven farther. I'd rather do that then run any distance on a 20 year old tire that most people have for a spare or worse yet, a 20 year old temporary spare tire...

Old 08-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Boost Engineer

There are Remote areas in Michigan and California that can go for 100 miles.

There were also remote areas like some parts of Ohio where you were taking your life in your hands asking for help or the use of a phone to make a service call by knocking on a farmer's door at night. Better to wait until daylight.
But Cell Phones has changed that situation a lot these days.

I used to have a reel light installed in my GTO but today there are much better lights out there. Not as handy as a Trunk "reel light" was but the new lights generate a lot brighter light for you to work by. I will stick with my spare in the trunk. I have lots of room. Even have a empty back seat 99% of the time.

Tom V.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Been thinking about this also.

The 275/18s won't fit in the front, so looking at 245s as a spare. I need at least a 17" rim to clear the big disc brakes, so have been hoping one of these days a 5x4.75/120.65 shows up on craigslist et al. Not looking to match my US Mags and have a few 17" tires with decent tread.

Probably going to be a long wait...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-21-2021, 03:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So does anyone know if a slight mismatch will chew up a Tru Trac