Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Default REAR AXLE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

HOWDY GUYS

THIS IS A FOLLOW UP ON A QUESTION I ASKED A DAY AGO THAT WAS ALL WRONG SORRY ABOUT THAT....

I JUST BOUGHT OUT A GUY WITH A BUNCH OF (A) BODY GOODIES AND HE HAD A REAL WEIRD REAL AXLE

FIRST HE THOUGHT IT WAS A 69 VINTAGE AXLE BUT THE DATE CODED STATES ITS A 71 .... SO WE HAVE A 1971 PONTIAC 10 BOLT HEAVY DUTY 4 PINION POSI AXLE SET UP......

THE CODE IS XM WHICH STATES ITS A FACTORY 4:33 GEAR YA OUCH !!!!!!

AFTER CLOSER INSPECTION THE RING THAT IS IN IT NOW IS A DATE STAMPED 1971 GM GEAR 3:90 I CAN ONLY ASSUME THE IDIOT THAT ORDERED THE 4:33 BIT OFF A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN HE COULD CHEW OFF.....

NOW THERE IS ALOT WRONG WITH THIS STORY........ WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN ORDERED IN 71 WITH A 4:33 GEAR AND IF THAT WAS REALLY POSSIBLE WHY WAS NOT A 12 BOLT USED ????????

I REALLY NEED SOMEONE HERE WITH SOME REAL GOOD INFO TO SET THIS STRAIGHT THANKS CHAD 813 270 6757

Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How did you determine it is a '71 usage Pontiac rearend?

How about some detailed pictures?

-Housing casting number
-factory stamped axle tube
-inscribed numbers on the ring gear

Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Default AXLE

1971 DATE CODE

AND MANY SITES SHOW XM AS A OPTION FOR 71

I CAN TAKE PICS OF IT BUT ALL ITS GOING TO SHOW WHAT I TOLD YA,,, ITS 100 PERCENT A BODY THE CASTING NUMBER SHOWS 68-72 A BODY THE XM CODE IS ON THE TUBE AND THE DATE CODE AND GEAR NUMBERS ARE ON THE RING .... (GM)

I GOT THAT MUCH STRAIGHT....... WHAT I DO N0T HAVE STRAIGHT IS WHAT THE HELL COULD HAVE USED A 4 33 OPTIONED GEAR IN 1971 ..... HAS ANYBODY GOT SOME REAL HARD FACTS ON WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN 71 ... HOW MANY CARS ACTUALLY GOT THIS CRAZY GEAR ETC AND WHAT USAGE..... JUDGE 455 H/O ONLY,,, T 37 455 H/O ONLY ... NONE OF THE ABOVE........ OVER THE COUNTER COMPLETE AXLE SALE ?????

Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the best thing to do is CALM DOWN and show us some picts..it would make most on here more comfortable about what you have and would be most helpful for an opinion,,,just to verify if nothing at all..that is the best starting point in my humble opinion..I'm sure we all can figure this out, but please comply with some of the requests

Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Default AXLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I think the best thing to do is CALM DOWN and show us some picts..it would make most on here more comfortable about what you have and would be most helpful for an opinion,,,just to verify if nothing at all..that is the best starting point in my humble opinion..I'm sure we all can figure this out, but please comply with some of the requests

AHHH,, WHO'S UPSET ????? I DONT NEED A SOCIAL WORKER... WHAT I NEED IS SOMEONE THAT HAS A GRIP ON 71 (A) BODY THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT THIS AXLE COULD HAVE CAME OUT OF ...... ... IF I SHOW YOU A PIC OF THE XM ON THE TUBE IF I SHOW YOU A PICK OF THE CASTING NUMBER, IF I SHOW YOU A PICK OF THE BACKING PLATES. IF I SHOW YOU A PICK OF THE POSI AND THE RING GEAR OK NOW WHAT ????? ITS THERE I HAVE BEEN SELLING PONCHO PARTS FOR OVER 25 YEARS ITS MY LIVING... I DONT NEED HELP FINDING NUMBERS I NEED HELP FINDING THIS AXLE POTENTIAL TYPE OF HOME....

WHEN I SOME CALLS ME ADVISE AND THEY SAY THEY HAVE A 1971 PONTIAC 455 ENIGNE AND THEY SAY IT IS A WC BLOCK CODE WITH A 1971 DATE CODE I KNOW ITS A 455 H/O ENGINE I DO NOT NEED SO SEE A GLAMOR SHOT OF IT BUT I CAN TELL THEM WELL THAT CAME OUT OF ANY GTO, BIRD, OR T 37 FOR SURE AND GIVE ME THE VIN AN I WILL TELL YOU FOR SURE....

NOW WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THIS THING IOS PLEASE RESPOND

Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No need for anyone to respond. You've been doing this for years. YOU KNOW IT ALL.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

-Year of manufacture was not indicated on the axle tube.
-There is no universal casting number for a "68-72" Pontiac 8.2 A-body nodular housing. The '68 nodular housing carries its own casting number & '69 carried another, there was two different casting numbers for '69 nodular 8.2 housings used in A-bodys. I will have to dig out notes, when I get home to get exact casting numbers. I only have two 8.2 nodulars in the racks right now. I know the '70 & '71 8.2 nodular housing carried another casting number as I've had quite a few in my hands over the years (if you didn't know, my nickname Pinion head came from building posi rears). '71's are also what I've studied in depth since the late '80's. Two of my keepers are '71 HO cars & I've owned several other 71's & cut up a ton more.

The data for the printing of the '71 Pontiac Service Manual was compiled in the Spring of '70, well before production was started. That is where the axle codes were taken from that one will see re-posted on many sites. Just because its listed in tabular form on someone's GTO or Pontiac website doesn't make it true, Many of the same sites list '71 Pontiac A-bodys as being built in numerous plants including Arlington TX & Baltimore Maryland. Plants that quit producing Pontiac A-bodys after '70 model production.

With '70 & 71 nodular casting number being the same, no stamped year assembled, the big draw demand for your rear will be a restorer needing a rear for a '70 RAIV & RAIII car that was ordered with the special order axle. The highest restoration demand '71 Pontiac performance A-body axles are the McKinnon manufactured 12 bolts code XU K's & XV K's, then the 4 pinion Safe-Track 10 bolts coded XH.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 11-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HFR - ROFLMAO!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at the 71 sales manual, it seems that 4:33 (special order) gears could only be ordered with 400 3&4 M20 trans cars, and 400 cars with M22 trannies. Interesting that the sales manual does not show a 455HO application available with the 4:33 setup.

So if you were to go by that data, the 4:33 rear that you have could have come out of a T-37, Lemans, Lemans Sport, or GTO......Not a Judge.

Manual also has that HD Cooling, Safe-T-Track, A/C delete and Speedo Adapter required when ordering 4:33's.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Default axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
-Year of manufacture was not indicated on the axle tube.
-There is no universal casting number for a "68-72" Pontiac 8.2 A-body nodular housing. The '68 nodular housing carries its own casting number & '69 carried another, there was two different casting numbers for '69 nodular 8.2 housings used in A-bodys. I will have to dig out notes, when I get home to get exact casting numbers. I only have two 8.2 nodulars in the racks right now. I know the '70 & '71 8.2 nodular housing carried another casting number as I've had quite a few in my hands over the years (if you didn't know, my nickname Pinion head came from building posi rears). '71's are also what I've studied in depth since the late '80's. Two of my keepers are '71 HO cars & I've owned several other 71's & cut up a ton more.

The data for the printing of the '71 Pontiac Service Manual was compiled in the Spring of '70, well before production was started. That is where the axle codes were taken from that one will see re-posted on many sites. Just because its listed in tabular form on someone's GTO or Pontiac website doesn't make it true, Many of the same sites list '71 Pontiac A-bodys as being built in numerous plants including Arlington TX & Baltimore Maryland. Plants that quit producing Pontiac A-bodys after '70 model production.

With '70 & 71 nodular casting number being the same, no stamped year assembled, the big draw demand for your rear will be a restorer needing a rear for a '70 RAIV & RAIII car that was ordered with the special order axle. The highest restoration demand '71 Pontiac performance A-body axles are the McKinnon manufactured 12 bolts code XU K's & XV K's, then the 4 pinion Safe-Track 10 bolts coded XH.
howdy thanks for taking the time to break this down very good info.... let me do this i have the axle in my pick up with a bunch of poncho stuff on top this guy was selling the farm for pennies on the dollar,,,, let me get it out i will forward you the cast number .... the site we were on when we at this guys shop made it look like the casting number was generic for 68-72 ...... just like on this board most have no idea what they are talking about or more worried about looking at pics.....

the axle cast number is 9795084 and it does have the n on the case

thanks so much for your time

Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 AM

Default axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
No need for anyone to respond. You've been doing this for years. YOU KNOW IT ALL.

I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I REALLY DONT CARE...THE BOTTOM LINE I DONT NEED YOUR STUPID ASS COMMENTS ON MY THREAD..... YES I HAVE BEEN SELLING PONCHO PARTS FOR OVER 25 YEARS NOW AND HAVE MADE REALLY DAMN GOOD MONEY DOING IT FULL TIME.. BUT ONCE IN A BLUE MOON I MAY PURCHASE A PART EVEN ABOVE MY PAY GRADE AND I MAY REQUEST SOME OUT SIDE HELP AND NEVER AFRAID TO DO SO... SO UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO DAZZLE ALL OF US THAT ARE WORKING ON THIS MATTER WITH SOME EARTH SHAKING CONCRETE INFO ..... THEN YOUR INPUT IS NOT NEEDED HERE AND YOU NEED TO JUST GO KICKS SOME ROCKS DOWN THE ROAD

Last edited by RATTCRUSHER455; 11-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM

Default AXLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Looking at the 71 sales manual, it seems that 4:33 (special order) gears could only be ordered with 400 3&4 M20 trans cars, and 400 cars with M22 trannies. Interesting that the sales manual does not show a 455HO application available with the 4:33 setup.

So if you were to go by that data, the 4:33 rear that you have could have come out of a T-37, Lemans, Lemans Sport, or GTO......Not a Judge.

Manual also has that HD Cooling, Safe-T-Track, A/C delete and Speedo Adapter required when ordering 4:33's.
HOWDY TRIPOWER......... NOW THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT THATS GOOD INFO TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST DONT UNDER STAND WHY ANY FOOL WOULD ORDER THAT GEAR FOR A 400 ENGINE ..... SEEMS REALLY CRAZY...

Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My comments are usually helpful. Yours are never.
And, I believe, I've dazzled a few people thru the years. You just seem to ridicule people and sell parts using PY as free advertisment.
And, your rear isn't a '71.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 AM

WELL YOU GOT TWO THINGS RIGHT I DO USE PY TO SELL STUFF NOW AND THEN AND ITS FREE. GREAT YOU HIT YOUR LIMIT FOR THE YEAR........ NOW AS FAR AS RIDICULING PEOPLE THAT ONLY OCCURS WHEN I COME A ACROSS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT DESERVE THE U.S.A. CITIZEN AWARD ( U STUPID AMERICAN CITIZEN THAT IS).. NOW LOOK I KNOW WHAT YEAR THIS AXLE IS BECAUSE THE DATE CODE ON THE HOUSING SAYS A 01 71 (RAISED CASTED) WHO PUT THAT THERE ??? YOUR MOM ???? AND THE DATE CODE ON THE RING SAYS THAT ALSO 1971... SO GET LOST THIS ISSUE IS WAY ABOVE YOUR PAY GRADE

I WAS HOPING THE ONLY NUT JOB IN MN WAS Michele Bachmann BUT AFTER RE ELECTION AND YOU I SEE THATS NOT THE CASE

Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, now you take to slamming my mom? Real class. BTW, my mom has Alzheimer's, glad to make your day. Reporting...

Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM

FOR THE RECORD THAT WAS NOT SLAMMING YOUR MOM IT WAS NOTHING MORE THAN SARCASM PERIOD, TRUST ME I KNOW SOME YOUR MAMMA JOKES THAT COULD MAKE CHRIS ROCK CRY,,,,, . BEFORE YOU START HANDING OUT CLASS CERTIFICATES YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF.. AS FAR AS YOUR MOM HAVING ALZHEIMER'S ... THATS NOT MY PROBLEM BUT THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD WARNING SIGN FOR YOU. BECAUSE SCREWING WITH A TOP SHELF COLLECTOR LIKE MYSELF MIGHT BE THE FIRST SIGN OF DEMENTIA ..... SO THE WORD TO THE WISE ...WHY DONT YOU STOP WASTING YOUR TIME WITH MY AXLE IDENTIFICATION AND GO HELP YOUR MOM .. AND I WILL WILL STOP WASTING MY TIME WITH YOU ON MY AXLE IDENTIFICATION SO YOU CAN GO HELP YOUR MOM INTURN THAT WILL GIVE YOU MORE TIME TO HAVE YOUR CONDITION CHECKED OUT .... NOW IF YOU WILL EXCUSE ME I HAVE A TOP SHELF COLLECTOR FRIEND IN CANADA TO CONTACT ABOUT THIS AXLE THAT HE MAY WANT.....

Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ratt, stop your silly posts. You are just showing what a jerk you are as well as your lack of Pontiac knowledge. Insulting some of the most expierenced members on top of it all.

It's a common casting number and you should have known its not a '71 since they are not stamped in the same location as the year you have.

Go away.

Closed Thread