Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard61 View Post
Well,

I received some disappointing news last night. One of the PY members who purchased some of the Lucy Blue welting sent me some photos of the comparison of the welting with their car and the match was not good. His car is painted with PPG Acrylic Lacquer. The match was bad enough that the member will have to paint the welting. So it looks like some of you will be happy with it and some will not. Unfortunately that is the nature of this type of project. It is important to me to make sure all of you that support my efforts here please understand that if you are not happy with the product, to please let me know. I will stand behind the product.

I will leave it up to the member to decide whether they want to discuss their particular situation or not, but to me I cannot take someones money for welting that they then feel they have to paint.

James
That's a stand up position James! As I mentioned earlier in this thread I'm interested in whether or not this product can be painted and how well it would hold up painted. Some of us with discerning taste (OK, picky bastards) will still be interested in having a higher quality welting to work with even if it costs more than the stuff we've been using and has to be painted.

Lucy blue (as well as some other colors) will be very difficult to color match the welting compound to due to the variations in paint types, brands, metal flake, formula, and base coats (primer or seal coat) used under the paint sprayed on the rest of the car. it doesn't surprise me at all that someone got the Lucy blue and it doesn't match their car, meanwhile others will find the match is good on their car. You can spray the same Lucy blue paint over different color bases and get lighter and darker end results. This is why paint shops use spray out cards to decide what will work best when they're doing paint repairs for collision work etc. (pic below)

If you'd like to have some welting pieces tested for painting let me know and I can test different procedures, possible use of adhesion promoters, possible use of primers, colors of Lacquers, Enamels, and Urethanes in both single stage and BC/CC. Pieces don't need to be very big, scraps the size of the one in pic below would do.

As for the person who has Lucy blue welting who might consider painting it with the Lucy blue paint they used on the car, the likelihood of getting a good color match is kinda slim because the Lucy blue welting isn't going to act the same as a base compared to the rest of the car which probably has some shade of medium or light gray primer/sealer. I'd test it on a small piece to see if paint will stick and how color will match before attempting painting all of it.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good info as usual John!
I'll try to give you a call tomorrow

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry Guys for my absence from the thread for a few days. I had to go out of town on business. Skunkworks and Not A TA, logically I would tend to agree with you on painting the blue welting, but I would have to defer to anybody who know more about painting than I do. I can tell you that Steve at Musclecar Memories did a painting test on some of one of the other colors. Not unlike what we might be experiencing with the blue welting and the match to existing paint jobs, he has a customer that he installed new welting on their car and they wanted it painted to match their car. I think Steve told me the system that he used was Spies Hecker(Maybe?). I believe that is the system Steve uses for all his paint now. Anyway he used some flex additive in both the base and the clear on the welting and told me that it adhered very well and was very flexible. So I know it can be painted successfully. I just wish we didn't have to.

Not A TA, I have no problem sending you some for you to experiment with if you would like. Just PM me an address and I'll send it off to you.

As always, if anybody is not happy with it and would like to return or discuss it, please do not hesitate to contact me.

James

Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to speedfreq

Would it be possible to obtain a LB paint match sample before committing to a set?

Chris

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Senior Chief

Sure Speedfreq, PM me and I'll cut off a little piece and send it to you.

James

Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Sorry Guys for my absence from the thread for a few days. I had to go out of town on business. Skunkworks and Not A TA, logically I would tend to agree with you on painting the blue welting, but I would have to defer to anybody who know more about painting than I do. I can tell you that Steve at Musclecar Memories did a painting test on some of one of the other colors. Not unlike what we might be experiencing with the blue welting and the match to existing paint jobs, he has a customer that he installed new welting on their car and they wanted it painted to match their car. I think Steve told me the system that he used was Spies Hecker(Maybe?). I believe that is the system Steve uses for all his paint now. Anyway he used some flex additive in both the base and the clear on the welting and told me that it adhered very well and was very flexible. So I know it can be painted successfully. I just wish we didn't have to.

Not A TA, I have no problem sending you some for you to experiment with if you would like. Just PM me an address and I'll send it off to you.

As always, if anybody is not happy with it and would like to return or discuss it, please do not hesitate to contact me.

James
James, Got my 2 orders yesterday. I kind of figured out the Lucy Blue welting issue.
Matches if the light is held at the angle to make Lucy Blue the lighter metallic color. Since this paint does have metallic and a small amount of pearl in it, the paint does a color change depending on what angle you look at it. The Welting does not change color in this way. So you will get some miss-match with the paint vs the welting depending on where the light is hitting the panel and the welting. I know from paint experience that PPG 2213 code Lucy Blue is lighter than the other formulations and the original in my opinion. Have done many a test panel over the years. I would think this color welting would match better leaning toward the darker extreme of the color Lucy Blue, the color that appears darker to the eye when it is not in direct sun light.
I still think depending on one's personal anal retentive level, these will need to be painted to match the car.
Happy with my purchase.
Thanks for your hard work James.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

Skunkworks,

Thank you for the feedback. I knew this was going to be a hard task to do, but I didn't realize how hard it would be.

Regards,

James

Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did Not A TA & others get any samples to paint? Just curious to see how al that turned out before I pull the trigger on LB or poss even the white...
Either way I want to thank you James for starting this endeavor for us. I think I speak for all TA owners who are tired of the stiff, crappy gray stuff we have had to deal with!

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 PM

Yes I have some pieces I 'm doing some paint testing on.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Skunkworks,

Thank you for the feedback. I knew this was going to be a hard task to do, but I didn't realize how hard it would be.

Regards,

James
James This color will be difficult. White is perfect with no issues. I think that if someone expects to have Lucy Blue match their painted car it is a toss up. I think it will need to be painted to match each persons car.
That being said I would still want blue material that is close to the correct color to enable a very thin spray film to keep the paint flexible and get the correct match on color.

Some people will get lucky and it will closely match their car. Not everyone will be so lucky.

Thanks.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 03-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Senior Chief

Skunkworks,

I am afraid you might be correct. I have had both good and not so good comments. I think I am going to press on to Starlight Black. We'll see after that.

Thanks,

James

Old 03-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you still taking orders for Lucerne Blue then?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:07 AM
Senior Chief

Hello Transamric,

I still have it for sale. You might want me to send you a small sample to see if you have a good color match to it before you purchase. I might even still have your address from before. I am currently out of my office until the 27th. I can send you a sample at that time.

James

Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hello Transamric,

I still have it for sale. You might want me to send you a small sample to see if you have a good color match to it before you purchase. I might even still have your address from before. I am currently out of my office until the 27th. I can send you a sample at that time.

James
Ok, thanks. I'm not too concerned about color matching exactly since my repaint (done in catalyzed Centauri 1982) is a bit darker than it should be anyway.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM

Default Welting

Have you done any silver yet? I need some please. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 AM

Thumbs up

Yes silver please!

Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

Hello Greybeard421 and Mr T/A,

If I do Sterling Silver, it will be next. Thanks to everybody for their help and support. NOT A TA is doing some testing with some interesting results and some good information for those that might want to paint the welting to match low production colors or custom colors.

I have not been on the forum much lately, my regular work has had me about as busy as I can be, and certainly as busy as I ever wanted to be. In the interim, Starlight black has arrived and looks very good as far as color match and gloss. I will be pricing this color the same as Cameo White and Buccaneer Red. $ 90.00 plus shipping for a "kit". I will put a thread on the later years forums since this really isn't a 70 to 73 color welting.

Thanks,

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlight Black 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	452327  

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM

I know it hasn't been mentioned but maybe once, But I would interested in 79 Nocturne Blue if you venture out to the lower volume colors .....

Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Solar Code (code 50) would also be a worthwhile color as there are many cars built in that color along with the Y88 special editions. I would be interested in some LB for my '70 T/A and would like to get a sample.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Senior Chief

No Problem 3tas4me,

I don't think I have an address for you, so if you would, please PM me an address and I'll get a sample out to you.

Thanks,

James