Old 09-05-2015, 10:39 PM

Default 67 GTO ghost electrical in passenger side tail

light. All running lights work. Turn signals and break lights work on drivers side. Turn signal works front passenger side. Turn signals and break lights do not work on rear passenger side. Checked several grounds, everything is new, sockets, etc. and the entire car was powder coated during frame off. Light bulbs are good, checked on side that works. Gotta be a ground that im missing or the new sockets suck??

Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Suspended

If you had your frame powdered coated your problem may be in the chassis grounds to the frame not making good connection in those spots.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lot of turn signal/brake light probs are caused by a bad turn signal switch.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

x2 on the turn signal switch, mine did the exact same thing on my 66 with tilt wheel, took the switch off the column cleaned it put back on re adjusted it and works like new again. but this is a 66 with tilt column. jd grim 66 gto

Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fodell View Post
light. All running lights work. Turn signals and break lights work on drivers side. Turn signal works front passenger side. Turn signals and break lights do not work on rear passenger side. Checked several grounds, everything is new, sockets, etc. and the entire car was powder coated during frame off. Light bulbs are good, checked on side that works. Gotta be a ground that im missing or the new sockets suck??
You haven't proved that you are getting voltage on the dark green lead going to bulbs. Gotta do that before condemning other things.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stop and directional are the same bulb so obviously they don't work at the same time.

like Old Goat says, see if you are getting voltage on that wire in the trunk, measure wire to good chassis ground with brake applied. If voltage is present, most likely you have a bad ground on that side. If voltage is not present, it's a bad connection front to back or a turn signal switch.

George

Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the front signal on that side works, doesn't that eliminate the turn signal switch as being the problem?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

possibly not because the turn signal switch switches either the stop switch or the directional signal to the rear but not the front, hence more stuff in the turn signal switch relating to the rear circuit.

George

Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the power and the ground, as stated. These cars are notorious for bad grounds to the pigtail sockets. Many add a 3-wire pigtail with a dedicated ground wire to solve the problem.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
These cars are notorious for bad grounds to the pigtail sockets. Many add a 3-wire pigtail with a dedicated ground wire to solve the problem.
Gotta agree with this on the socket ground. I've had the same problem on both sides in the rear on my 66. Can't keep the socket grounded. Separate wire for ground was the only solution for 2 of the sockets.

Also the new replacement sockets you get today are noted for ground problems. Don't ya love how cheaply things are made today.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ran all new wiring for my tail lites from M & H and still wasn't happy with the way the lights worked, I also ran separate wires from the tail light housings to the outside corners of the trunk floor for the extra ground now everything works like it should. my 2cents worth. jd grim 66 gto