Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have mounted my exhaust system on the car, 64 Lemans, and put my tailpipe hanger on. If I try to raise the tailpipe up to the hanager, the tailpipe hits the bumper and will not allow me to attach it to the hanger. The tailpipe end bends down slightly, not straight out, so getting smoething to fit over the tailpipe to bend it may be tough to do.

Questions: Is the tailpipe supposed to extend beyond the bumper or turn dowm to the ground before the bumper. Is there an easy way to bend the tailpipe down while it is on the car? I thought of rotating the tailpipe but it doesn't appear that is going to get me enough clearance either. I am positive all the connections along the system are pushed in as far as they will go.

Or do I just wait until I get it completely finished and take it to a muffler shop and have them correct the problem for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have mounted my exhaust system on the car, 64 Lemans, and put my tailpipe hanger on. If I try to raise the tailpipe up to the hanager, the tailpipe hits the bumper and will not allow me to attach it to the hanger. The tailpipe end bends down slightly, not straight out, so getting smoething to fit over the tailpipe to bend it may be tough to do.

Questions: Is the tailpipe supposed to extend beyond the bumper or turn dowm to the ground before the bumper. Is there an easy way to bend the tailpipe down while it is on the car? I thought of rotating the tailpipe but it doesn't appear that is going to get me enough clearance either. I am positive all the connections along the system are pushed in as far as they will go.

Or do I just wait until I get it completely finished and take it to a muffler shop and have them correct the problem for me.

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 03-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have since looked at some pictures that CCASS posted about installing X-cross over pipes and noticed the pictures of his tailpipes. Mine are the same type, and he has them turned slighlty to the outside of the car. Mine is mounted so the downturn is straight down. I am going to try and turn mine so they point out and see if the clear the bumper enough to attach to the hanger.

Any suggestions are still welcome.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do your tailpipes have separate ends or is it one piece all the way over the axle. If the ends are removeable shorten them. If not have a muffler shop cut the pipes and create a slip joint. Make them any length you want.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No they are one piece over the axle into the muffler. Thanks again, I didn't mess with it after I installed the hanger and found it wouldn't reach the hanger.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Administrator

My tailpipes have 10" extensions on them. The downturn should end just before the bumper. Most 1 piece tailpipes are made univeral (a little long) to allow for various applications. Even if you bring the car to a shop, they will need to remove the pipe from the car to do any further bending. You might want to cut the tailpipes back about 8-10" and add a tailpipe extension of some sort. What size tailpipes do you have? There are numberous chrome and standard downturns extensions available for cheap.

How about splitters!?

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 03-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well first of all it is only a singal exhaust system, duals in the future, so I will most likely remove the tailpipe. It looks like I may have to do both, shorten and bend it slightly. I will crawl under it this weekend and see what I need to do. Thanks for the info.