Old 05-07-2024, 09:41 PM

Default Getting back to points and condenser.

I picked up a 70 firebird and want to get back to the factory points and condenser from the after market Pertronix ignition, now in the car. I have followed the non-factory coil wire back to within 3” of the fire wall connector. The previous owner cut out the resistor wire, for full voltage wire to the coil. Where can I get a resistor wire and put it back in the wiring harness? Thanks for the help

Old 05-07-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROS34 View Post
I picked up a 70 firebird and want to get back to the factory points and condenser from the after market Pertronix ignition, now in the car. I have followed the non-factory coil wire back to within 3” of the fire wall connector. The previous owner cut out the resistor wire, for full voltage wire to the coil. Where can I get a resistor wire and put it back in the wiring harness? Thanks for the help
If it were me, and considering the engine harness is likely original, which puts it at >50years old....I think I'd just buy a new engine harness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 65 Lamnas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 07:27 AM

The harness is new. I would assume it was cut open before it was installed. He soldered in a new wire and rapped back up. It looked factory.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just an FYI, the quality of points these days is Sketch. If I had to run points I would only get MARINE grade points, probably " Blue Streak"

Old 05-09-2024, 02:39 PM

You might want to check with Lectric Limited (https://www.lectriclimited.com). They have all sorts of repair components, pigtails, and splices for original and replacement harnesses. They may not have exactly what you want listed (I just looked), but may be able to make something up for you (they have original specs and patterns on hand for tons of cars).

Worth a shot.

GL HTH

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-09-2024, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

We ran into a similar problem when trying to clean up botched ignition wiring on an old Chevelle. The only “resistance wire” we could find was Echlin ICR22 which I believe is still available, however, it didn’t list a GM application. Ended up running a solid wire from the ignition switch on/run terminal and used an external ballast resistor.

If it is a new harness any indication of the maker? If so, you could call them and see if they would sell a length of resistance wire---or just call any of the major wire harness suppliers and ask.

You could also try to find a used harness and pull the resistance wire. GM points cars used the same basic set-up so any harness with the resistance wire should work as all you need is said wire. I’ve seen used harnesses on *-bay and on FB Pontiac groups.

As stated, some of today's points are a bit sketchy. There is some good discussion on this topic on this forum.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelsdad View Post
You might want to check with Lectric Limited (https://www.lectriclimited.com). They have all sorts of repair components, pigtails, and splices for original and replacement harnesses. They may not have exactly what you want listed (I just looked), but may be able to make something up for you (they have original specs and patterns on hand for tons of cars).

Worth a shot.

GL HTH
They were my first thought as they are several towns over from me---but right from their website: Please Note: The ONLY wiring harness repair items we offer are those shown in our online catalog. We do not offer any other repair items like connectors, terminals, lamp sockets, clips, fuse link wire, resistance wire or lead wires.

I'm afraid that might also be the same for other vendors.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:00 PM

Ack... I should have remembered that disclaimer. Well, it was a thought. I'll keep your situation in mind. Maybe something useful will fall out of my head.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 05-10-2024, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I was looking into purchasing and old harness to reuse that wire.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will look on Sunday, have a bunch of junk harnesses for parts

Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM

I appreciate that. If you have one let me what you want for it, plus shipping. Thanks

Old Today, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture below, it's new, stripped out of a harness I used some connectors from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240512_182633.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	633636  

Old Today, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pm your address if you want it