THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A buddy is getting the run-around from Kia.

He's got one of the recalled engines and took it do the dealer as it began using an excessive amount of oil between oil changes. The dealer changed his oil and told him to bring the car in at exactly 1,000 miles so they can check the amount of oil used.

My buddy uses the car for daily transportation and of course always overshoots the 1,000 mi interval. He then has to wait for the next oil change (performed by the dealer to verify the oil is full and try again. I told him dispense with all the BS and take the car there in as close the 1,000 mi as possible right after work since they're service is open until 8. He did this and was told only the Service Manager could verify the oil level under a warranty claim.

I told him this is all BS and a stall tactic for you to run out of warranty (he's getting close) so they can deny the claim and besides, they can verify the condition of the engine with a compression and leakdown test. They can also average your oil consumption based on how many miles you drove and how much oil was used just like you calculate your gas mileage at the pump. He needs to tell the Service manager to stop playing games and perform the necessary tests which are a more accurate estimate of the condition of the engine.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 10-01-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. They`re selling the piss out of those things due to long warranty. Their engines have been junk for a while now. 2.7L V6 mopar comes to mind.

I saw 2 of those Kia Hyundai cars with failed engines in my 4 mile trip to work a month or 2 back. One getting coffee in the am and one on the way home at a light. Both steaming badly on a hot summer day.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know Illinois laws and the age of the vehicle, but if he mentions the “lemon law” he might get more attention.
I had to pull that with my Ford dealer to get an on going problem fixed. BTW it is the one, only, and last Ford I buy. Horrible customer service.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to "Low tension" oil rings..

Old 10-01-2023, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a 2013 Outback with a similar issue of excessive oil consumption that bit us right after we bought it. Subaru offered an extended warranty (8 yrs?) just for that issue. We were excited by their commitment to fix or replace our engine until we found out their definition of "excessive" was >1 qt/1000 miles. Ours started new at ~1qt per 2000 miles and is now close to 1 qt/1000 mi... and past the special warranty. Subaru got away without replacing our engine and we don't get on the highway without carrying spare oil.

These companies are really good at stepping up then stepping sideways.

I agree your friend needs to be more assertive. I'd be going over the service managers' head. Communicate with a paper trail (email or written). The dealer may be getting rewarded for holding warranty claim costs to a minimum. Regardless, the lack of response is part of the problem.

https://ksupport.kiausa.com/ConsumerAffairs

Old 10-01-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar issue with a VW a while back. They really make you jump through hoops with any kind of oil consumption claim. I was never able to meet all their requirements for validating the oil consumption because, like your friend, we were using the car daily and had 9-5 jobs. It was consuming around a quart per 1,000 miles which apparently was within their specs. I ended up giving up getting them to acknowledge the problem, and got a surprisingly good price from the used car team at the same dealer LOL. That’s the end of our VW experience.

I have a ‘13 Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo for my daily. Overall it’s been a good car, but I did get the engine replaced under warranty a few years back. No issue at all with the warranty since you could hear the rods knocking and Kia had a massive recall around the issue. Neither engine had an oil consumption issue, but there are still a handful of outstanding recalls I need to take it in for.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one of my renters has been in a fight for several years over his engine blowing up, they wont honor his warranty and his car has been sitting in their repair lot all this time. i told him he needs a new attorney they have been giving him the run around all this time.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

EVs don’t use any oil . . . . , just sayin’.

I would go straight to KIA corporate with documented evidence. Obviously that dealer really doesn’t care and doesn’t have to until someone above him tells him to.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
EVs don’t use any oil . . . . , just sayin’.

I would go straight to KIA corporate with documented evidence. Obviously that dealer really doesn’t care and doesn’t have to until someone above him tells him to.
No,,they just rape the earth for the batteries.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
No,,they just rape the earth for the batteries.
‘‘Twas a joke, I would never buy one!

Old 10-01-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
‘‘Twas a joke, I would never buy one!
Gotcha,,👍🙂

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone else seen the written repair estimate that's been floating around the net showing a nearly $30,000 bill for a full battery replacement on a 2 year old Chevy Volt?

Old 10-01-2023, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps this would help?

https://thelemonfirm.com/2023/06/16/...ction-settled/

Seems to be a lot of issues.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Toyota would make customer stop by for a check as KIA does, but did not have to be done by Service Manager.
There was a Procedure to follow and if customer did not follow they got on the ignore list so to speak. Another car Guy up here
had the same with Hyundai Dealer, finally getting engine replace after 2 years, then cat failed, took another 6 months to get
cat replaced due to being oil fouled.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I told him this is all BS and a stall tactic for you to run out of warranty (he's getting close) so they can deny the claim.
Typically as long as a problem is identified within the cars warranty period the manufacturer is still obligated to correct it if it's not resolved when the warranty expires.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacstogo View Post
Typically as long as a problem is identified within the cars warranty period the manufacturer is still obligated to correct it if it's not resolved when the warranty expires.
You are talking about Hyundai and Kia here; garbage cars with exceptional warranties which are not honored.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent several years as an expert witness in arbitration cases involving car issues in and out of warranty. It is extremely important to document, time and date stamp every interaction with the dealership. Every time you drive the car in for anything such as this oil inspection, whether it actually gets done or not, get a work order and a receipt. Every single time. Word of mouth means very little when I had to arbitrate cases. If the car owner had a paper trail with every step of being run around or raked over the coals, or blown off, we often awarded them a new car. Anecdotal sad stories without a paper trail usually don't result in a repaired car. Import engines, with small, high reving engines and low tension piston rings seem to have much more trouble with oil consumption. Also, delayed oil changes cause much more consumption. Honestly, I have dealt with very few Hyundai and Kia engines just consuming oil at high mileage. They seem to have more serious mechanical problems as the warranty runs out. Oil consumption would just be a minor inconvenience. Broken timing chains, dropped valves, connecting rods through blocks, head gaskets, hydrolocked cylinders from gas from the direct injectors are all common failures as they approach 100K miles.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I had a similar issue with a VW a while back. They really make you jump through hoops with any kind of oil consumption claim. I was never able to meet all their requirements for validating the oil consumption because, like your friend, we were using the car daily and had 9-5 jobs. It was consuming around a quart per 1,000 miles which apparently was within their specs. I ended up giving up getting them to acknowledge the problem, and got a surprisingly good price from the used car team at the same dealer LOL. That’s the end of our VW experience.

I have a ‘13 Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo for my daily. Overall it’s been a good car, but I did get the engine replaced under warranty a few years back. No issue at all with the warranty since you could hear the rods knocking and Kia had a massive recall around the issue. Neither engine had an oil consumption issue, but there are still a handful of outstanding recalls I need to take it in for.
Doesnt sound like a good car to me? I run my fords to 300k miles with an oil change every 5k.
I agree with the poster about keeping things documented and in writing. Have the dealership initial. IF they refuse make a note.
After the first run around I think I would state my concerns in the middle of the showroom with a sales manager. I would keep this up until the service guy got on the ball.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A co-worker recently noticed the oil consumption on his Kia had increases, and at just shy of 150K miles it developed a rod knock. It was part of the engine recall, and his engine was replaced free of charge. He had owned it for over ten years. When it went bad, he said he checked the internet and found there was a class action lawsuit for his car, so he had it towed to Kia and they made it good. I never thought he would get an engine replaced at 150K, but he did. And there was little fuss about it. They asked him if he wanted them to put new belts and hoses on it while they were in the process, and hit him with a pretty big bill for that. But his out of pocket was well under the cost of a replacement engine.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Perhaps this would help?

https://thelemonfirm.com/2023/06/16/...ction-settled/

Seems to be a lot of issues.
Misterp266 posted a link to the class action data if anyone might need that info.