THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I do cars, err, engines

Eric's channel dismantles all sorts of various engines - from 1.0 liter Ford turbos (oiled timing belts? really?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yx1-50iqnA

to Caddy NorthStars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wzha-NVVY

to Audi 5.2's and their lovely timing setup (shudder)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj5bIRqiLE.

It is fascinating to see the different design philosophies - from anvil simple BBC's to stupidly complex (looking at you Jaguar).

Makes me wish to hug my pushrod L84

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YouTube junkie here.......
I love this channel and have seen every episode. Some of the engines he's done look like a bomb went off in them. He can be pretty funny too.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those Audi V8s are a blast to drive, and sound awesome, but the timing chain setup is just so out of this world stupid it amazes me.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National

Last edited by 72projectbird; 06-19-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not even an accessory on that Audi engine appears to anything less than a nightmare to change. Everything about it reminds me of why I generally steer clear of European cars. They're so 'different'... I do prefer the European styling though.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2.2

Says hold my beer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1081.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	614494  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-19-2023, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
................. Everything about it reminds me of why I generally steer clear of European cars. They're so 'different'..................
Actually the 6.2L V8 in my 2009 AMG is fairly easy to work on. Yeah, it has some known issues, but they're all accessible with the engine in the chassis, and most of those issues are fixed with factory-updated parts.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stumbled on that channel the other day - it’s easy to get hooked!

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 06-20-2023, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
Actually the 6.2L V8 in my 2009 AMG is fairly easy to work on. Yeah, it has some known issues, but they're all accessible with the engine in the chassis, and most of those issues are fixed with factory-updated parts.
I may be unfairly judging them based on the small number of European cars that I've owned and my observations of the luck friends and family have had over my lifetime.. I personally have only owned and had trouble with BMWs, water cooled VWs and Volvos. I do love the air cooled Beetles I've owned though and would jump all over a Porsche if a good opportunity to own one popped up.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I may be unfairly judging them based on the small number of European cars that I've owned and my observations of the luck friends and family have had over my lifetime.. I personally have only owned and had trouble with BMWs, water cooled VWs and Volvos. I do love the air cooled Beetles I've owned though and would jump all over a Porsche if a good opportunity to own one popped up.
I just happen to be considering selling a very nice Rainforest Green 996 Coupe in the 6 speed flavor

Its actually been a great car, Ive just kinda gotten it out of my system. On to the next type of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol .. don't get me wrong, I would not turn down an older European import car if it was going to be one of my hobby cars. I just don't trust them for my wife's day-to-day transportation because I know whose phone is going to be ringing when things go wrong and for me they're just so very difficult to work on most of the time and really expensive when you have to pay someone else to work on them.
I had an early '80s BMW 320i back in the 90s and I would love to have it back right now. It was troublesome but nothing that I couldn't overcome if I wasn't relying on it for my wife's daily transportation, which unfortunately, it was back then.
Silver with a navy blue leather interior. Five speed, 4 cylinder.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh I was just calling out that you said you would jump on the right Porsche lol. I was just wondering if I stumbled into a buyer.

But yeah that's how mine is. Its a hobby car. Runs great, beautiful color. Ive had it for about 2 years and Im thinking about moving on. I just have more cars than room.
So Im thinking about downsizing. Plus I am considering taking a C2 project off of my uncle.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 06-20-2023, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha! You know I totally missed what you said it was. My mind was on Mercedes...lol. hmmmmmm.... I actually love that but I'm in no position right now. Need to downsize myself....and besides it's my wife's turn for new car.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 06-20-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Variable displacement rods...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hehe.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	614564  

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, it's probably not good when all the pistons are at the top of the bore.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.