The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-01-2021, 05:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint Gun Regulators (Valves)

Any advice on quality gun mount regulators? I assume they are just flow control valves ... but anyway.

Most of them seem to be crap, I've got a couple decent Italian made ones that seem to work OK .. but who knows if they are accurate or not.

I've got a very good US made regulator on my compressor ... does anyone paint by setting the pressure on the compressor and use some rig to calibrate what pressure it supplies to the gun inlet with the trigger pulled?

That would obviously complicate on the fly adjustments ... but I don't usually do that anyway. Reason I ask is because my main regulator will maintain whatever pressure it's set at dead on regardless of flow.

I could easily rig up something to measure pressure at the gun inlet using an accurate gauge, then set the main regulator to achieve the pressure I want at the gun.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made this to check pressure at the end of my air hose/gun inlet, since I use a filter at the gun too, I'll have to check it between the filter and the gun.

Will probably get a grade 1a 0-60 psi gauge to use with this ... scale on this one is too large.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauge-1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	570671  

Old 08-01-2021, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A lot of these so called regulators are just cheater valves. I use the Motor Guard, it is a true regulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13125732332...UAAOSwbqpT2lco

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "regulators" that came with my Devilbiss guns are just adjustable restrictions with a gauge.. I am sure lots of painters use them just fine, but Like Don, I wanted a real regulator and bought one from Astro (similar to the one Don posted).

One thing that sucks though is with an air filter and regulator on the gun, there are places where you can't easily get the gun into and it does make is harder to spray is tight areas.

I often thought about just using my wall regulator and checking pressure at the gun with a temporary inline gauge like you are suggesting, but was too chicken to try LOL. I made enough errors in the spray department and did not want to chance it

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
The "regulators" that came with my Devilbiss guns are just adjustable restrictions with a gauge.. I am sure lots of painters use them just fine, but Like Don, I wanted a real regulator and bought one from Astro (similar to the one Don posted).

One thing that sucks though is with an air filter and regulator on the gun, there are places where you can't easily get the gun into and it does make is harder to spray is tight areas.

I often thought about just using my wall regulator and checking pressure at the gun with a temporary inline gauge like you are suggesting, but was too chicken to try LOL. I made enough errors in the spray department and did not want to chance it
Those gun mounted filters a waste of time and money imho. If you feel you really need a last line of defense use a dessicant snake at the booth wall.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My current compressor setup has a large after cooler that cools air to ambient before the tank, two filter/separators before tank, one separator/filter after tank, then a Parker 150 CFM regulator, then the big Motorguard filter at the end. So far it seems to produce some pretty clean air.

I hate using the gun filter, hard to believe anything large enough to get trapped by that filter is getting past everything else, and I'd love to go without a gun regulator too.

I'll definitely go with that Motorguard gun filter if I use one. Thanks dhutton.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Took me a while to dig this video back up from my saved vids but it does give one take on the whole gun mounted Reg and cheater valve dilemma.

https://youtu.be/HDuuJvyiZiI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly what I wanted to know. My inclination was to set pressure at the wall, the big main regulator can adjust immediately to maintain any pressure since it's flow rate is many time more than a gun mounted "regulator" would be. I have 60 gallons of 175 psi in the tank, if I set the regulator to show 25 psi at the gun inlet with the trigger pulled I know that what it will stay at no matter what. Since it's a bleed regulator there will never be that burst of initial high pressure at the gun when you pull the trigger and no change in hose pressure as the tank pressure cycles.

It pays to have a real deal industrial regulator at the tank, the Parker I have was expensive but it's the old school large diaphragm type with large passages and super stable, you could calibrate air gauges with this thing.

Thanks a ton for that link, that was exactly what I was looking for. Going to pull all those regulators off my guns

Old 08-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was taught the regulator gets you in the ballpark and prevents from overpressuring your gun/ wasting paint, the real goal is to watch your pattern/ flow on the panel surface and you can move a little faster or a little slower if need be but bottom line was pattern and flow....

Old 08-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where do you get an adapter to go from a gun inlet directly to a male air coupling? The guns are all threaded to take a gun mounted regulator.

Can the threaded adapter on the end up the gun just be removed and an air coupling fitting screwed in?