Old 07-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What would the Iwata equivalent of the SataJet 4000 rp be, assuming they make an equivalent.

Does anyone still use "conventional" guns, meaning not HVLP and not Reduced Pressure Compliant?

The Satajet products seem pretty hard to find reliably.

Are the HVLP and RP guns better than the old conventional pressure guns?
The new “gravity “ Guns …bust up the material ,better than an old Devilbiss with a #30 cap.. I run a Sata Jet 5000 RP….but can’t say how it stacks up against the Iwata…cus I Nevah used one.

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I read the strong point of the Satajets (besides being great guns) are how fast they can put on paint .... probably would be dangerous in my hands.

All the guns I have now are gravity feed, HVLP with the exception of an Italian trim gun (gravity feed but full pressure), forget the name, but it has a good following.

What I mean by conventional would be non-EPA compliant, full pressure guns. Probably no reason to ever use one as I guess they waste a lot of paint and again are dangerous in the hands of amateurs.

Been using the 3M pps system for years now, absolutely love it.

I'm liking what I read about the RP guns, if Iwata makes one, I might go in that direction, if not then the LPH400 most likely. Lot of good guns out there it seems, Devilbiss and some of the old names apparently make some good guns.

How about you amateurs .... favorite guns, easy to use guns?

Last edited by dataway; 07-30-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I don't do much painting the price is not a huge factor .. but I don't want to pay double for something. Was hoping for no more than $350/gal for the Verdora Green base. Will be using the SPI clear.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
From what I read the strong point of the Satajets (besides being great guns) are how fast they can put on paint .... probably would be dangerous in my hands.

All the guns I have now are gravity feed, HVLP with the exception of an Italian trim gun (gravity feed but full pressure), forget the name, but it has a good following.

What I mean by conventional would be non-EPA compliant, full pressure guns. Probably no reason to ever use one as I guess they waste a lot of paint and again are dangerous in the hands of amateurs.

Been using the 3M pps system for years now, absolutely love it.

I'm liking what I read about the RP guns, if Iwata makes one, I might go in that direction, if not then the LPH400 most likely. Lot of good guns out there it seems, Devilbiss and some of the old names apparently make some good guns.

How about you amateurs .... favorite guns, easy to use guns?
An Iwata LPH400 is an ideal gun for a noice painter imho. Sata is more of a pro gun since it puts out a lot more material.

And yes, I have both.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Since I don't do much painting the price is not a huge factor .. but I don't want to pay double for something. Was hoping for no more than $350/gal for the Verdora Green base. Will be using the SPI clear.
Skimping on base is false economy imho. Cheaper base needs more coats to cover. Buy a quality base….

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Skimping on base is false economy imho. Cheaper base needs more coats to cover. Buy a quality base….
Don
I know you are an active member on the SPI forum so you've seen the info about Motobase and Wanda base and what is said about those.
Do you consider those good products like the guys over there do?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 07-30-2021, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

I think that LPH400 would be a great choice. In the end it’ll come down to you and a quality gun “getting to know each other” lol
Spray all stuff you can find around the house that could you a fresh coat paint so you get the feel down, then spray a bunch of test panels with the exact materials you plan to use. Once your settings are dialed in, it’s just you and the gun working out the details on speed/technique. Just my thoughts… as someone who will never spray at the full potential of any of the “pro” guns in all honesty.

Totally agree with what was said above regarding Iwata/SATA. My main guns were always Iwatas and those seemed to fit me better. I feel like the SATAs were always forcing me to move faster than I was comfortable with (and that was when I was primarily spraying boats where moving faster was convenient). That’s even true with my SoLV now, but I’m adapting.

Parts for Iwata have always been much easier for me to find, and also find cheaply (in comparison).

The only gun I could never entirely work things out with was a Supernova, but I recall many having issues. I’d be really interested to try the new 3M Performance Spray as a single gun solution with its’ advancements over the Accuspray. $300 with several size heads and PPS included. The early reviews look great provided they’re all legit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been very interested in the 3M guns .... seems like a great idea and I love their other products, plus I think I could use all my PPS stuff with them out of the box. I'll have to research them a bit more.

What's the typical price for a gallon of "good" Verdora Green versus "cheap" paint? Price is certainly not enough of an issue for me that I would use poor quality paint, but in my opinion the car is not worthy of $1000/gal paint either. I'd much rather screw up $300/gal paint than $1000/gal

My main concern when it come to paint is ease of use, flexibility in the temps/humidity it requires, ease of sanding (if needed), adhesion, resistance to runs etc.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just picked up a gallon of Omni base coat for $130. The reducer was $70.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
Or buy an 800.00 sun light to check for coverage……

Old 07-30-2021, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've been very interested in the 3M guns .... seems like a great idea and I love their other products, plus I think I could use all my PPS stuff with them out of the box. I'll have to research them a bit more.

What's the typical price for a gallon of "good" Verdora Green versus "cheap" paint? Price is certainly not enough of an issue for me that I would use poor quality paint, but in my opinion the car is not worthy of $1000/gal paint either. I'd much rather screw up $300/gal paint than $1000/gal

My main concern when it come to paint is ease of use, flexibility in the temps/humidity it requires, ease of sanding (if needed), adhesion, resistance to runs etc.
Everybody starts out saying …it’s going to be a driver,so Iam not that anal about the finish. Just something that looks good from 20 feet. You’ll change your tune,real fast once it’s painted. Then ..here comes the wet sanding and buffing…going for the “ Shave my face in it finish “ …just keep that in mind. Been through this with every customer…..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Everybody starts out saying …it’s going to be a driver,so Iam not that anal about the finish. Just something that looks good from 20 feet. You’ll change your tune,real fast once it’s painted. Then ..here comes the wet sanding and buffing…going for the “ Shave my face in it finish “ …just keep that in mind. Been through this with every customer…..
Yup

Just spent the better part of 8 hours wet sanding today. Gonna try and lay down a flow coat tomorrow. I'll probably still end up wet sanding that final coat starting at 1200 grit and working up to 3000.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-31-2021, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Yup

Just spent the better part of 8 hours wet sanding today. Gonna try and lay down a flow coat tomorrow. I'll probably still end up wet sanding that final coat starting at 1200 grit and working up to 3000.
Hope you sanded with 600….if you want it flat…..not fat.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hope you sanded with 600….if you want it flat…..not fat.
I did! Went through a bunch of 600 knocking it down.

Went back and washed the car down afterwards and it was smooth as glass. Let's see how close I can get that clear to lay down lile that. lol

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-31-2021, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Or buy an 800.00 sun light to check for coverage……
No kidding!!

Old 07-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I did! Went through a bunch of 600 knocking it down.

Went back and washed the car down afterwards and it was smooth as glass. Let's see how close I can get that clear to lay down lile that. lol
Post up those Camaro pics!! I didn't know you painted..

Old 07-31-2021, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Post up those Camaro pics!! I didn't know you painted..
I'm doing a 77 T/A right now. Painting black isn't fun lol

I'll get pics later today

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-31-2021, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yup

A nice double wet coat….and put the gun down.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car, almost black, was flow coated long ago. On a dark color, can't beat the results.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When it comes to different lines of paint from the same manufacturer ... like PPG Deltron vs Omni .... what's the difference? What advantages are offered by the more expensive product line?

So far my two favorite Verdora Green bases that have been used by forum members, based on the their cars are a PPG product (not sure which but have a photo of the label) and a Dupont Chromabase . Have no idea of their quality, price, ease of use etc. just thought that particular Verdora Green was great.

BTW, just ordered an LPH-400 LV with the silver 1.4mm cap.

Last edited by dataway; 08-01-2021 at 05:05 AM.