Old 07-27-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Where do you buy your paint

I'm going to need some Verdora Green BC/CC, will probably use SPI clear. Where are you guys getting your paint? Any good online sources? Autobody shops are few and far between where I live.

Entire car will be painted so nothing needs to be custom matched or anything like that.

Would I be good shooting BC and CC with an Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4mm tip?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get my stuff from a local auto body supply company.

I spray my base and clear with an Iwata LS400 which is a 1.3 tip, and it's fine. 1.4 will work fine also.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trying to avoid autobody stores .. would have to drive about 30 miles to find one.

What's the difference between the various Iwata 400 series guns? I'm not a fan of LPHV so far, they seem pretty finicky and harder to set up. They don't seem to want to offer up much info on "non-compliant" guns.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've also got paint from Summit Racing, Napa, and TCP Global.

I've had good results with all of them.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ready for paint…..that’s awesome !

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

I use Tamco paint primer,base and clear on my 70 Judge and single stage on both of my white 63 lemans. I order by phone or online and I usually get in a couple days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200812_195316.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	570555   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200517_105613.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	570556  

The Following User Says Thank You to ta-69 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've ordered from TCP global many times. Reasonable price compared to local. This last time I got it at a local auto body supply business, because I needed a special mix of Lamborghini orange pearl. Very spendy!

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

125.00 to 185.00 for a pint of base …for the stuff I use….Nexa Autocolor.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:35 AM
Senior Chief

I can’t stand going to the local paint shop. Always feel like I’m treated like an outsider because I’m not in there 3 days a week like their regulars. Lol

I wish I could get everything I needed from SPI. They bend over backwards to help you and get you everything you need ASAP. On the phone ordering with them yesterday and happened to mention a product they had pulled from their catalog a few years ago (950 Flattening Agent) and they said they’d make me up a can from their production stock if I really wanted some.

Like above, I also used to use TCP Global years ago. Mainly for custom stuff. I like their products.

Weren’t people using the orange cap LPH400 for both base/clear? I can’t remember honestly. I still have some Iwata guns but am trying to “downsize” to more of an all-arounder if there is such a thing, shooting base and clear with a Sata 1500B SoLV (1.3 in RP and 1.4 in HVLP), still getting used to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Trying to avoid autobody stores .. would have to drive about 30 miles to find one.

What's the difference between the various Iwata 400 series guns? I'm not a fan of LPHV so far, they seem pretty finicky and harder to set up. They don't seem to want to offer up much info on "non-compliant" guns.
Go with the RP

Old 07-28-2021, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent info folks, thanks. I had been looking at TCP so far, looks like the Nexa is also available at O'Reily.

I'm almost ready to trim things out, might be a while before full paint.

MUSLCAH ... RP? The SataJet RP model? Or does RP stand for something like Regular Pressure? The SataJet might be a bit out of my price range at the moment, was hoping for something $600 max.

I'm sorely lacking in knowledge about the differences between various model guns, tip size, price and HVLP or "conventional" are the limit of my knowledge. Do many of you use non-HVLP guns? Since I'm not in the business, nor do I paint a lot, my concern for paint wasting is not real high on the list. Finish and ease of use would be my priorities.

Entropy ... I feel the same about the Autobody shops, the one I used to frequent closed down, had known the owners for years. I understand their lack of concern for hobbyists, we are probably more trouble than we are worth

Old 07-28-2021, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The RP is “ reduced pressure”….I have sprayed HVLP ….but like the RP Bettah. Don’t know all the workings between the two…but the RP transfers better for me. I use a 1.3 for base and clear @ 29-30 lbs on the guage on the gun. By the time you invest in a gun….build your 2x4 with plastic booth., Find an exhaust fan. It might be cheaper and definitely a better end product to have a shop just spray the car. Then you won’t have as much dirt in the paint..or moths, flys, mosquitoes, runs, sags, drips, flip the air hose into a panel, lean into the fresh paint with you gut,while you try to spray the roof, dry areas, lack of color coverage…Cuz you didn’t have the 800.00 “Sun Light” to check the panels..tacked off the panel too soon and made a mess…then at the end …you didn’t have enough air movement and all the top surfaces have solvent popping in them. This is just a short list that no one evah talks about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the coating store on line https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/main.sc .. Painted 2 cars one bc/cc and one single stage. Excellent paint for the money. High solid clear was great to lay and wet sand.
One was slate blue metallic and the other was white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160311_155054.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	570560   Click image for larger version

Name:	car side (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	570562  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike S For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MUSLCAH, good chance a shop is going to end up finishing the job. Most likely I'm going to be relocating in the next 18 months. I need to get it trimmed and glass in so I can reassemble a reasonable amount of it, get it mobile, on a trailer and down to TN. Down there I will either have the time, facilities and/or money to do it properly or have it done for me. At this point I'm kinda in a race to get it mostly in one running piece.

I plan on getting a nice gun anyway since I've always wanted one, and if I do end up doing the work myself it will come in handy. A lot of my final decision will be based on how things turn out when I trim it and shoot a spare test fender I have. It's not going to be a show car no matter who does it But yes, you are correct that I basically don't have the time to do it "right" up here, and by the time I get moved I'm probably going to be more likely to pay someone else to do the rest as I'll be busy doing other things.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I'm at it ... how much paint does it take to paint a 68 GTO? With vinyl top.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was trained with PPG and have always used it but their prices have became insanely high, $1323.00 for a gallon of red base. That sent me to TAMCO also. Great people to deal with,free shipping on $275.00 and up order. They also have a once yearly 30% off sale just after Thanksgiving.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chad at Autorod Technologies will set you up with Wanda or Motobase basecoats. He also sells SPI.

http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been buying from http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio too. They are also an SPI dealer. Order any SPI products in the same order as your paint, they will give you free shipping on both. At least they did that for me the last time I made an order with them.
Wanda makes top-shelf paints and many of the guys over on the SPI forum use it. Chad is a member on the SPI forum as well.

Check out the photo of my '55 Bel Air. I bought that base paint from Chad and used SPI Universal Clear over it.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you, bookmarked those sources.

Roger, how much paint to you think you will use on your current project?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Probably 2 gallons of base and 2 gallons of clear. I might need more clear but that's what I will buy at first. The only thing I don't want to buy too much of is the hardener for the clear because of it's shorter shelf life.

I will go with 2 to 3 coats of base. 3 coats on the outer body and 2 coats on door jambs, under side of trunk lid and etc. Clear I will go 4 coats on the outer body and 2 coats everywhere else.

Are you going to use SPI Universal Clear? It's a great product and a match made in heaven using an Iwata LPH-400 spray gun.

Take a look how it lays down:

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: