Old 07-22-2021, 06:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Harmonic balancer bolt question

From a practical standpoint, is it possible to strip the threads either in the crank snout or the retaining bolt? Would seem more likely to possibly cross thread. Thx for any replies.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm, never had that happen. I'd be interested in the replies.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:28 PM
Boost Engineer

99% of the time, If you have a factory Crank Balancer Retention Bolt, it will be a snug fit with you screw it into the crank, BY HAND OR WITH A SLIGHT FORCE USING A BOX END WRENCH. And the length of the bolt/washer to the end of the bolt should be a smaller length vs the depth of the hole in the crank snout with the balancer installed. YOU DO NOT WANT THE BOLT BOTTOMED OUT IN THE HOLE.

If this is the case you can torque that bolt to the specified PONTIAC crank bolt torque spec. A used factory crank/bolt should never be an issue but a billet or machined FORGED crank should have that dimension checked.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a member (Socrates I think?) here many many years ago who had that happen in a car he bought - either cross threaded\damaged the threads and the bolt wouldn't come out. It was a saga and a half that he detailed how to get it out and plenty of folks chimed in about how they'd never seen it happen before. I do not know if he had to have the crank fixed or not.

So to answer your question, I am sure it is possible but is extremely unlikely per the many experienced folks around here (and my personal experience too).

Old 07-22-2021, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
YOU DO NOT WANT THE BOLT BOTTOMED OUT IN THE HOLE.
100% this. And in my experience, you are going to break the bolt off before you strip the threads in the crank out, especially if it's a forged crank. A friend of mine warthogged the crank bolt in and it snapped off...

Old 07-22-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A fine thread bolt such as those are in my opinion are very hard to cross thread!

If the proper really thick washer was not used ( which I have seen! Then the bolt bottoms out and can be more then a Bear to break free!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 07-22-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Not sure what you have posted is valid, IF you are using the original bolt with the thick washer (without the balancer installed) THEN you should install a few thick steel washers on the bolt (before you install the bolt in the crank). THIS will keep the bolt from being wedged in the crank and possibly stripping out some threads.

The Crank Bolt was designed by Engineers to have some distance BEFORE the bolt bottoms in the drilled and tapped hole when the balancer is installed.

I use a factory "no balancer ring" hub to mount my large degree wheel and a similar set-up (minus the degree wheel) to just turn the engine over. You can remove the bolt by hand almost when you do it that way. The washers will work fine though too.

Cranking on the Harmonic Balancer Bolt (no balancer) is almost guaranteed to cause thread issues inside the crank over time.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen the threads in stock Pontiac crankshafts strip out of the crank nose at the first 1/4"-1/2" of the threads. Two things generally cause this. 1. Using a balancer puller with a tapered nose that is too small for the large Pontiac size hole. The tapered nose goes too deep and snags-up the first couple threads in the crank nose. 2. Using the factory bolt to push the harmonic balancer back on during reassembly. If you don't get the balancer started at least 3/4" with a block of wood and a hammer, or better yet with a proper installation tool, the bolt will not engage enough threads and chew up the first several threads. My advice is to run a 5/8" fine thread bottoming tap into the crank nose to clean-up the threads, and then install the balancer properly and use a new bolt. Worst case situation, you can repair the crankshaft nose with a coil insert or a solid insert. It's very important not to bottom the bolt as mentioned and verify a minimum of 160 ft. lbs. with light oil on the threads and under the head between the washer,.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the replies. My known real problem is that my damper bolt is not tight enough. I had a "reputable???" shop recently replace my timing chain & gears. They apparently screwed up on this and a couple other issues. Concerning to me that I drove the car home (15-20 mi) with the bolt that way.
At my age & health condition I just can't crawl around on/under the car anymore wo getting pretty messed up. Getting close to getting out of the hobby I'm afraid.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:44 PM

Replaced my balancer last yr. with a Pioneer (factory style) with new bolt/washer, blue thread locker, pulley retaining ring. No issues. On yours, I suspect they used the wrong bolt? Too long?

Old 07-23-2021, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A loose balancer bolt can taper the crank snout, but can't see how it would damage the threads.

There is a run-out value for the crank snout, and used to check that when buying used OE cranks. But it's been a while since I've used an OE crank.

Remove the bolt, inspect the threads, and chase the threads in the snout. That should remove any doubt of damage. If the threads look fine when you remove the bolt, you're probably OK.

As others have commented, make sure the correct thick washer is being used on the bolt. If there's any question, replace both the bolt and washer. The ARP replacement ones are fine, and I've used them exclusively for years.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-23-2021, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to add, IF the bolt was loose, it takes considerable miles to wobb-out the crank snout. I've seen it happen to folks who don't apply the correct amount of torque, and upon inspection after next removal, have noticed visible wear, but that's after 10s of 1000s of miles.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-23-2021, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm "assuming " they reused the original bolt and washer, although I don't know that for certain. I had a new bolt & washer that I got from our host eons ago, but they didn't use those. The originals have been in the car since I got it in 2001.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Think about it.
If you got the car and the originals never had any repairs (the exception being the cars
built in the mid 60s with the Nylon Timing Gears), your engines and the Bolt have probably been off the crank from no more than a couple of times, unless the engine was played with and either raced or rebuilt at one point in its life.

That being said the Original Harmonic Bolts should be like a NOS part and good to go for years to come. I never throw away a Harmonic Balancer bolt removed from a junk yard engine. They are as good as you can get for a Pontiac engine vs the Chinese stuff out there. I wish I had kept a few more over the years vs give them away.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
100% this. And in my experience, you are going to break the bolt off before you strip the threads in the crank out, especially if it's a forged crank. A friend of mine warthogged the crank bolt in and it snapped off...
Was his name Eric?

That boy could break an anvil!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If a shop isn't aware of the torque spec or don't have a torque wrench that reads high enough, they may resort to the "good-n-tight" method or just blast it on with an impact. Some mechanics also think it's the same a s a Chevy.
If you've ever owned a Honda, their harmonic damper attaches the same way as a Pontiac. Those are fun to get on and off off too but the special crank holder tool makes it easier.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:47 AM
Boost Engineer

Automotive Sears Beam Torque Wrench will not go there, a good Snap-On Torque Wrench will allow the 160 torque spec, as will most of the heavier TRUCK torque wrenches.

Tom V.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I assume that locking the flywheel is the best way to keep the engine from rotating while tightening the damper bolt? Any other methods that work well and are not too complicated?

Old 07-29-2021, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's a manual trans car, put it in gear and set the parking brake.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If it's a manual trans car, put it in gear and set the parking brake.
Works every time. If I don't have the driveshaft or Brakes hooked up in the car I have a fabricated 4 foot piece of 1" heavy wall tubing with the Driveshaft Yoke bolt pattern on it and use that to lock the trans/engine so I can tighten the bolt. 3 foot cheater on a 1/2" breaker Bar gets me in the ballpark then the industrial torque wrench is used for the final torque on the bolt.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-29-2021 at 07:53 PM.