Old 07-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Quadrajet plus HEI vs. Holley Sniper EFI plus Hyperspark

So I started looking at my carburetor recently. I've talked to some people about it and posted it here. It's a Frankenchester, but it does have the correct number float bowl assembly. It's running OK but after talking to Cliff Ruggles, I think it needs to be gone through just to be sure it's at it's best. So then I start thinking maybe I'll just get another one and have it built.

Now, it's always been part of the plan to put some sort of HEI system in the car. And I also have to have the tank pulled to replace the sending unit. So those are things that will be done anyway.

So then I start thinking about just scrapping the Qjet and putting in a Holley Sniper Qjet with the Hyperspark dist and the Holley (which I think is actually Tanks Inc) fuel tank and pump.

I'm leaning towards the EFI vs the Qjet right now. I've read some of the threads here about them and it seems relatively positive. Youtube reviews are mixed. So just looking for experiences, opinions and advice.

As for the originality part of it, my car has a very stock, original looking restoration, but it's not numbers matching, it has aftermarket wheels and I'm planning on putting in retractile seat belts. So I'm not opposed to changing things as long as it still has an overall stock look.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-01-2021, 06:47 PM

I’m a fan. I’m planning the same thing for my ‘65. While the efi doesn’t offer much in the way of performance gains, I think the drivability vs. the qjet is worth it. From everything I have read, the Sniper Qjet will allow you to keep the OE look. My only debate has been whether to go with the Qjet Sniper or go with a spread-to-square bore adapter and upgrade to a Sniper that has more inputs/outputs for fans and a/c.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnbOlds455 View Post
I’m a fan. I’m planning the same thing for my ‘65. While the efi doesn’t offer much in the way of performance gains, I think the drivability vs. the qjet is worth it. From everything I have read, the Sniper Qjet will allow you to keep the OE look. My only debate has been whether to go with the Qjet Sniper or go with a spread-to-square bore adapter and upgrade to a Sniper that has more inputs/outputs for fans and a/c.

The general consensus seems to be that the adapters aren't the greatest setup. Plus, since I have the shaker I need something that is the same height as the Qjet.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. When Cliff says his Q-Jets run like Fuel Injection, he is CORRECT.
While he doesn't do many anymore, his Book, his methods, and research live on and many have copied his Craft, and or have their own methods of getting them right for your application.
Long ago Cliff recommended to me via phone a 77-79 Pontiac Q-jet as I had no preference to year. He also mentions these in his book.
These carbs have APT which works very well with tuning in the alcohol gas era we live in.
Mine hasn't been touched in 15 years, and was built by a member here on PY Forums to Cliffs specs.
The HEI. I run one, and the only thing I can say is you MUST run a new 'PINK" wire from the fuse box to the HEI as it needs MORE current ( its thicker)
and more volts (12-13.8) ( no resistor wire). The Pink wire is available, with ends , at Year one.
Between the two, you get the ultimate in reliable and function.
The only way a injection system would make real sense is to get a port injection system. putting on a throttle body and trying get the mixture to 14 A/F is only a fight as you never get the same amount of fuel/air at each cylinder and some will run way too lean and these engines ( with alcohol) need to run at more like 14.5 ish.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
1. When Cliff says his Q-Jets run like Fuel Injection, he is CORRECT.
While he doesn't do many anymore, his Book, his methods, and research live on and many have copied his Craft, and or have their own methods of getting them right for your application.
Long ago Cliff recommended to me via phone a 77-79 Pontiac Q-jet as I had no preference to year. He also mentions these in his book.
These carbs have APT which works very well with tuning in the alcohol gas era we live in.
Mine hasn't been touched in 15 years, and was built by a member here on PY Forums to Cliffs specs.
The HEI. I run one, and the only thing I can say is you MUST run a new 'PINK" wire from the fuse box to the HEI as it needs MORE current ( its thicker)
and more volts (12-13.8) ( no resistor wire). The Pink wire is available, with ends , at Year one.
Between the two, you get the ultimate in reliable and function.
The only way a injection system would make real sense is to get a port injection system. putting on a throttle body and trying get the mixture to 14 A/F is only a fight as you never get the same amount of fuel/air at each cylinder and some will run way too lean and these engines ( with alcohol) need to run at more like 14.5 ish.
I do have a reliable source for 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. Of curse, from time to time I may have to fill somewhere else.

Still undecided on what I'll do. Since it's running decent, I'll probably just drive it as is for the summer and decide later. Cliff said he could get to mine in a couple months or so so that would work if I go that route. It would be the simpler thing to do and I like simple.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
So I started looking at my carburetor recently. I've talked to some people about it and posted it here. It's a Frankenchester, but it does have the correct number float bowl assembly. It's running OK but after talking to Cliff Ruggles, I think it needs to be gone through just to be sure it's at it's best. So then I start thinking maybe I'll just get another one and have it built.

Now, it's always been part of the plan to put some sort of HEI system in the car. And I also have to have the tank pulled to replace the sending unit. So those are things that will be done anyway.

So then I start thinking about just scrapping the Qjet and putting in a Holley Sniper Qjet with the Hyperspark dist and the Holley (which I think is actually Tanks Inc) fuel tank and pump.

I'm leaning towards the EFI vs the Qjet right now. I've read some of the threads here about them and it seems relatively positive. Youtube reviews are mixed. So just looking for experiences, opinions and advice.

As for the originality part of it, my car has a very stock, original looking restoration, but it's not numbers matching, it has aftermarket wheels and I'm planning on putting in retractile seat belts. So I'm not opposed to changing things as long as it still has an overall stock look.

I love carburators. Both Holley and Q-jets, and I enjoy getting in depth with both brands and extracting all I can from them, making them run as best they can on the given application. Both of our daily drivers are carbs, one Holley, one Q-jet, and they both perform flawlessly and start every time with a blip of the key. So I have no issues with carbs.

With that said, I do like the EFI systems offered today and am running a Holley Super Sniper Stealth on one of the other cars. Dad installed one on his car too.
They are pretty slick, function and perform pretty well. They do take some time to dial in perfectly and it takes a laptop to do so. The self tuning and base map it creates does get the car running okay but it's not perfect. Overall I do like the systems.

It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to just get a proper working Q-jet on your car though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spent a little time snooping around the Holley Sniper Forum and those things are not necessarily as easy and trouble free as they want you to believe. The Qjet is looking better right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They have a couple of known issues. One of which is the temp sensor, and that's an easy fix. Most of the problems are self inflicted however. Many simply have wiring issues, bad grounds, RFI interference, things like that can cause a whole slew of issues that are hard to trouble shoot, and in all these cases it almost always stems from poor installation.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-09-2021, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So I decided that I'm sticking with a carb. I just ordered a restored 7040263 Q-jet from a place local to me, Chicago Corvette Supply (now located in Eugene, OR). I also ordered a DUI HEI distributor and wires. As for the alleged 7040273, I'm going to see if I can verify the authenticity of the float bowl assembly, and if it's legit (I think it's probably not) then I may do something with it like rebuild it with at least a period correct airhorn and baseplate. Chicago Corvette Supply says they have the parts to do it. It wouldn't be correct but it would be closer than it is now.

Last edited by jhein; 07-09-2021 at 08:36 PM.