Old 05-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm having a SS exhaust being fabricated for my '79. The "craftsman" is building it from mandrel bend tubing sections, 3" front & 2.5" rear to splitters. It's expensive but it will be worth it when the car rolls over the "undercarriage cam" at B-J.
I see so many nice cars for sale, then see at a half-assed exhaust system underneath. It says alot about how the rest of the car was done.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience with Exhaust systems, if it helps. I ran 3” Dr Gas crossover. Exact same system as ( Pipes ) which was originally Dr Gas... with mufflers. 2” headers 3-1/2” collectors. So collector had to be reduce to 3”. Which I think is one of the killers...just guessing

Now I run 4” Merge collector, with 4” Bola stainless steel mufflers, with turn downs in front of rear axle. Car pick up .3 tenths over crossover system. Absolutely no difference with open headers in ET.

I pop off the turn downs and put cones in to meet the 90 decibel level for street
It as quiet as Pipes system.

Its A body car so plenty of room to run 4” pipe. Straight back from the headers. No fumes what so ever get in the car from the exhaust. Of cruse it only applies if you have the room.

Heres a video of what it sounds like with 4” and cones

https://youtu.be/I2gvpy0fNN8

Old 05-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
...The muffler is the dynomax 17229... Anybody got any feedback on these mufflers?
I prefer the longer case, but the determining factor will be what the Pypes system was designed for in regards to case length and inlet/outlet positions.

I've always had good luck with Dynomax mufflers. On a friends car he went from cheapy turbo mufflers to Magnaflows to finally Dynomax mufflers to solve a nasty drone. First two were terrible and the Dynomax worked.

Back 18 years ago there were few options when going with a mandrel bent 3" system, I ordered and installed a kit from Torque Tech. Not a bad setup and the exhaust is still going strong today (unfortunately Torque Tech is not). Muffler of choice back then was the Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 Series. Would opt for the Dynomax today, but I have to say that the Flowmaster 50's don't have a drone and have a good sound.

Anyway, there's really plenty of room under the A-body chassis and over the axle. Here's a shot showing the pipes over the just-installed Dana 60 a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana 60.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	541123  

Last edited by lust4speed; 05-26-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am going to run full pipes. The muffler is the dynomax 17229. Anybody got any feedback on these mufflers?
Yes. Those are the shorter 14" versions. I actually prefer the longer 18" version but I do have the 14" installed on my sons mustang (18's don't fit that car). It's a complete 2 1/2" mandrel bent system with tailpipes, and a BBK "X". It's very mellow, no drone, and can easily carry on a conversation or listen to the radio. It makes a little bark at full throttle but cruising is very nice.

I run the 18" Dynomax Ultraflow version on a complete 3" system on my chevelle with a Dr. Gas X, with 3" tailpipes. I originally had Flowmaster Super 40's on the car which are 14" long. It was loud all around and droned pretty heavily at 2,000 rpm. The switch to the 18" Dynomax Ultraflows was a huge leap in the right direction. No more drone at 2,000 rpm, and idle and light throttle cruise are now fairly tame. It's noticeable but not overly loud. Full throttle it wakes up and makes some noise. The biggest improvement was the low speed and light throttle cruising, it's so much more enjoyable. Wife is actually happy to ride in the car now and I've even found myself driving it more lately.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What’s the part number for the 3 inch inlet/outlet 18 inch case ultra flow dynomax. The only ones I can find are 20 inches

Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I can give a Tinkers damn about loosing 25-30 HP on a street car!I just want to be able to drive it a highway speed and listen to my radio!80 plus dec on a street car SUCKS!JMHO,Tom
My car is pretty quiet inside with full 3 inch exhaust..I have a video somewhere on this site.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What’s the part number for the 3 inch inlet/outlet 18 inch case dynomax

And my bad, they are 20" not 18. They are offset/offset 3" in and out. The Pypes exhaust system is bent for offset/offset if you are wondering which is a very typical setup.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post

And my bad, they are 20" not 18. They are offset/offset 3" in and out. The Pypes exhaust system is bent for offset/offset if you are wondering which is a very typical setup.
I'm not sure about the Ultraflow, but on their Super Turbo, the 3" necks down to 2.5" internally on the smaller (4.75 x 9.5) case. The ST have 2 case sizes and the larger 5.5 x 11 case maintains 3" throughout

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 05-27-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GS455 View Post
I'm not sure about the Ultraflow, but on their Super Turbo, the 3" necks down to 2.5" internally on the smaller (4.75 x 9.5) case. The ST have 2 case sizes and the larger 5.5 x 11 case maintains 3" throughout

The Ultraflow maintains 3" throughout. I should have taken some pictures but I didn't. Even though it's an offset design, the pipe shoots straight through.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I like this thread!!! Thanks ALL!!!
It's like the old saying, A crazy amount of horsepower is just enough!

4" collectors and 4 " exhaust pipes, I'd like to see some pictures of those!!!

Back in the 80's my buddy fabbed up an exhaust system on his 66 C-10 pickup. Ran 2.5" pipes off the headers. Ran the pipes outside the frame, all the way to the bumper.
The best sounding and flowing muffler back then were the Super Turbo mufflers. Those mufflers were TOO loud for his liking (Tom S. reminded me of this...LOL) So he goes and buys 2 more of the same mufflers (all pipes and mufflers were 2.5" 2.5" was about the biggest pipe size hot rodders used back then. 3" pipes were just beginning to be used).
The 4 muffler deal worked great (2 mufflers on each side, end to end), sounded good too!!! The 406 small block/Muncie M20/3.42 gear pickup was a bad customer on the street!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately I don’t have one with full exhaust system under car, but this give some kind idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2C0850FA-E1C3-4992-8958-4194EAB9A83D.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	541169  

Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just don’t understand why the Pypes people themselves say it would hurt performance under 600 HP

Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post

The best sounding and flowing muffler back then were the Super Turbo mufflers. Those mufflers were TOO loud for his liking (Tom S. reminded me of this...LOL) So he goes and buys 2 more of the same mufflers (all pipes and mufflers were 2.5" 2.5" was about the biggest pipe size hot rodders used back then. 3" pipes were just beginning to be used).
The 4 muffler deal worked great (2 mufflers on each side, end to end), sounded good too!!! The 406 small block/Muncie M20/3.42 gear pickup was a bad customer on the street!!!
IMO, the best sounding mufflers of all time were the Smithy's "Steel Pack" mufflers and they
had a very pleasing sound going down the road and worked well under power too.
You remember those mufflers Tom S? apparently speedway still sells a glasspak version today.

"Smithys Glass Pack Mufflers are designed for great performance with excellent tone. Double end cap construction and 3-1/2" hammertone finished cases assure the original Smithy look.

Worlds oldest performance muffler
Perfect for that resto-rod or 1950s custom
3-1/2" diameter seamed steel case
2" I.D. inlet and outlet"

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post

4" collectors and 4 " exhaust pipes, I'd like to see some pictures of those!!!
Hang tight, I'll dig out some pics of a 4" Mufflex system I installed on one of our 4th gen Camaros a few years back. It was a work of art.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GS455 View Post

I had the Super Turbos (Dynomax) that necked down inside on mine until they came out with a stainless steel muffler that was 3" all the way through. Unfortunately I think they discontinued it. It was P/N 17774.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3667 adj.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	541353  

Old 05-30-2020, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
IMO, the best sounding mufflers of all time were the Smithy's "Steel Pack" mufflers and they
had a very pleasing sound going down the road and worked well under power too.
You remember those mufflers Tom S? apparently speedway still sells a glasspak version today.

"Smithys Glass Pack Mufflers are designed for great performance with excellent tone. Double end cap construction and 3-1/2" hammertone finished cases assure the original Smithy look.

Worlds oldest performance muffler
Perfect for that resto-rod or 1950s custom
3-1/2" diameter seamed steel case
2" I.D. inlet and outlet"

Tom V.
I used to run Smithys back in the '60's on a 394 Olds with Isky E-2, great sound, no drone. Some of the older speed shops/auto parts stores back then had some of the steel packs left over in their back room/storage areas. Those did sound great. Smithys kind of died out as Turbo mufflers became the performance muffler, although in the late '60's street Hemi mufflers also became an "in" performance muffler.

Thanks Tom for the Smithy reminder, sometimes I see them mentioned on the HAMB.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 05-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Most probably never heard of Smithys but they are still out there I believe.
Think they still offer Glasspack mufflers today. Others would recognize the name but not the difference between the steel packs and glass packs in the old days and the sound difference between the two.

Yep, people started reading about Corvair Turbo mufflers, etc.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default mufflers

https://pertronixbrands.com/products...2-inlet-outlet

Also available from Speedway Motors.

Billk

Old 05-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Most probably never heard of Smithys but they are still out there I believe.
Think they still offer Glasspack mufflers today. Others would recognize the name but not the difference between the steel packs and glass packs in the old days and the sound difference between the two.

Yep, people started reading about Corvair Turbo mufflers, etc.

Tom V.
You're are certainly right, Smithys are now made by Patriot exhaust who also owns Dougs headers. Patriot is owned by---Pertronix

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 05-30-2020, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I've seen Smitty mufflers on Speedway advertisements in magazines...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...