Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM

Default 350 Head gaskets

So I've gotten tired of tripping over this 73 P350 that's been sitting under my bench for the last 20 years and I've finally decided to do something with it. I started tearing it down today and found that it had some sort of MLS head gaskets on it. So in light of the fact that p350 head gaskets are nearly unobtainable (I know there's Cometic) Is it possibleto reuse these MLS gaskets? And are these things aftermarket or from the factory?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a OE. gasket or very similar
I have never re'used one but if it isn't degraded in any way i suppose its possible

Last edited by Formulas; 06-19-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.competitionproducts.com/.../#.XQpbAuhKiUk

Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That picture shows gaskets for a Chevy 350.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM

Buy this gasket set NOW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-He...Condition=1500

Old 06-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabhop View Post
Hopefully it was you who bought it 30 minutes after I posted the link.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe I'm missing something here and I'm certainly no Pontiac 350 expert, but RockAuto shows 3
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ket+/+set,5412

Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 PM

Those Rock auto gaskets are I believe the commonly available "big bore" head gaskets, notice in the picture above how the cylinder opening is kind of egg shaped which gives a provision for the scallops. As I understand it the 400/455 gaskets can work but its not optimal. I was really just wondering if these MLS style gaskets can be reused because I know in the LS world its done commonly.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you can reuse them and I have reused steel face gaskets many times, but you need to put some time and about 25 bucks into getting them there.

First get some paint stripper and get all the crap off of them wherever the head and block meets the gasket.

Once that's done spray & wipe them off with brake clean, then give them 4 good coats of copper coat spray from VHT.

The heads you plop on them need to be cut to a nice fine finish that you can almost use a a Mirror.
When you torque them up do it 4 steps and all will be well.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:21 PM

Good to know thanks, this is a budget build and the money saved over cometics can be put to better use elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a factory gasket in your picture throw it away. For just over 80 bucks you can get two new ones and not have a big pita later.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The gasket set I posted above IS for a PONTIAC 350- Read the description. I know what the pictures show, but I've purchased a few sets from them for people before.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerta View Post
Good to know thanks, this is a budget build and the money saved over cometics can be put to better use elsewhere.
I have some NOS-GM 350 head gaskets. Let me know if interested and I will confirm part number and application.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
That is a factory gasket in your picture throw it away. For just over 80 bucks you can get two new ones and not have a big pita later.
Interesting, I didnt realize pontiac used steel MLS gaskets, I was wondering if this engine had ever been opened up before.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
The gasket set I posted above IS for a PONTIAC 350- Read the description. I know what the pictures show, but I've purchased a few sets from them for people before.
If I was shopping for a Pontiac part and saw that picture...

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerta View Post
Interesting, I didnt realize pontiac used steel MLS gaskets, I was wondering if this engine had ever been opened up before.
Pontiac DIDN'T, and those AREN'T MLS. At least, not by judging from the provided photo.

MLS = Multi-Layer Steel

The gasket you have is SINGLE LAYER STEEL, often called an "embossed shim" gasket. They are absolutely the least-expensive head gasket imaginable--if you're mass-producing them. Even so, they work pretty well if the surfaces are clean, flat, and smooth. Pretty much every GM division used 'em at some point.

You want to clean it off and re-use it? I"m not saying it can't be done, IF (big IF) there's no damage or corrosion, all the embossed sealing surfaces are in good condition, AND you're very lucky. It would not be my first choice. As said, they need "something" as a gasket sealer. I've used aluminum spray paint, and more recently, Teflon pipe thread sealer. Copper coat, Gasgacinch, Hylomar, High Tack...ANY gasket sealer is appropriate. RTV Silicone is not.

Last edited by Schurkey; 06-23-2019 at 08:35 AM.