Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Ok, so I'm planning on installing my new fuel setup over X-mas break but I want to make sure I've got it right. I'm welding a sump into my stock tank with an -8AN fitting. From there it is pretty obvious in the picture. I'll be running -8AN stainless braided fuel line between the fittings. The pump will be as low as I can mount it and as near the tank as possible. The regulator/filter will be on the inner wheelwell, as I heard that the firewall won't pass track inspections???

http://www.shadowdrop.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	15719  

Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 PM

Ok, so I'm planning on installing my new fuel setup over X-mas break but I want to make sure I've got it right. I'm welding a sump into my stock tank with an -8AN fitting. From there it is pretty obvious in the picture. I'll be running -8AN stainless braided fuel line between the fittings. The pump will be as low as I can mount it and as near the tank as possible. The regulator/filter will be on the inner wheelwell, as I heard that the firewall won't pass track inspections???

Old 12-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe you want the 10 micron filter before the pump and the 60 micron filter after the regulator/before the carb.

Herb

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

74 Ventura 462/#13 heads/3350#
10.38 @ 128.89 MPH, N/A, Stock suspension, 275/60 Radial, Street legal, Tagged & Insured
Old 12-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan,be real careful on welding on a fuel tank!Might have a radiator shop do it if your not sure.The vapors are VERY flamable.FYI,Tom

Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too many filters. I run a Russel between the cell and the pumps. Thats it!

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM

Dan, the regulator as pictured is incorrect, fuel enters the bottom port and goes out the two upper ports (you can plug one port or put a pressure gauge in one port).

The Holley blue pump is very loud, I had one in a 12-second VW race car before and it was almost as loud as the engine. Personally I would use a Carter or Mallory electric as they are much quieter. Not sure how long the life is on a Holley blue on a street car either, maybe someone who has used one in a driver can chime in.

------------------------------
Some say the glass is half full, others say the glass is half empty...I say 'Are you gonna drink that?'
www.outlawpontiacs.com/members/B-Man2.php
www.outlawpontiacs.com/members/B-Man.php

Old 12-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys! Tom, I've got a welder friend helping me with the tank and I've read a bunch about how to avoid blowing myself up , so I think I'll be ok. My plan is to pressure wash the tank to clean it out as much as possible, fill it mostly with water, run another vehicle's exhaust into the tank and run it for awhile to evacuate any oxygen. After that, I'm going to drill several holes into the tank rather than cut an entire section out (supposed to act as a baffle of sorts?) and weld the sump over this area.

b-man, thanks I didn't realize it was backwards when I set it all up, good eyes! I haven't heard any reliability complaints about the Blue pump, but I'm hoping to upgrade the car to "project car" status by the summer so hopefully it won't be a problem. If anyone has experience with this pump on a street car, please pipe in.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan,

I have been using the same Holley blue pump and regulator for four years and 35,00 miles without problems on my trips equipped 455. Eventually the pump shaft seal fails and the shaft scores requiring replacement as you cannot buy parts other than new pump bodies/seals which are one third the cost of a new complete pump.

Re Bart's noise complaint, any pump would drown out a sissy V-dub.

Les

66 GTO Coupe,455/trips,700r/2500stall,12bolt/3.08,1.79/13.01/104.5
68 GP daily driver and 2004 Route 66 Tour participant under restoration
--------------------------
Better lucky than good

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 12-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My luck with the Holley Blue's has not been good. I went through three of them (over a few years) before giving up and getting a Mallory 140 pump. It has lasted longer than all three of the Holley's put together, and is still going strong. Mallory still makes noise, but is much quieter than the Holley. The car would sit for long periods of time, and I wonder whether this inactivity was harder on the seals than everyday driving.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get rid of the straight hose end + hard 90 degree fitting at the tank. Use a tube 90 degree fitting on the end of the hose instead with a pipe thread to AN adapter on the tank itself.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

The point to life isn't necessarilly the decimal.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 12-07-2003, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Too many filters! I use only one before the pump.
Think about it; if your system is sealed, where is the debris coming from after the primary filter that should be between the tank & pump?

Do away w/ that restrictrive 90 degree adapter fitting. Use the aforementioned 90 degree swivel hose end or straight end and just radius the hose, assuming your bend radius isn't too tight.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been running a Holley blue pump for 7 yrs now with no problems. I use it to prime the carb. then I Start the car, and drive the car under NORMAL CONDITIONS with a carter mechaical. then just before I get in the burn out box I hit all the other stuff. U know, nos, fuel pump ect., fuel pressure jumps to 7.5 from 5.0 and it's hang on time. I have had NO problems......I have two filters on the car. one just out of the fuel cell and the other just before the carb. 455, Torker II, Holley 750 vac secondaries. best time on the car (13.25 at 98 mph) (11.93 on NO2 at 111) 3900 lb. Catalina running 8.6 to 1 compression.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it's too loud, your too old!!! I knew there was something about Bart! Now I know!!!

If you can hear the fuel pump your car isn't loud enough!!!

Old 12-07-2003, 02:21 AM

The theory behind the multiple filters was to catch the big gunk before the pump and not clog up the 10 micron filter as quickly. The 60 micron is reusable and easily washed out. The thrird filter is really just one of those bronzed catch sponge deals that is part of the carb fitting. I suppose I could use it without the filter, but is it going to make a difference? So I'd be better off just running the 10 micron filter before the pump?

Old 12-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with everyone else on filters. There's too many of them. Run that canister style 10-micron filter between the tank and the pump and forget about the other two, there's no need for them. Also, get rid if that 90-degree elbow fitting for the tank and repalce it with a NPT/-8an straight fitting, and then a 90 degree -8an fitting over it (it will be less restrictive).

Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM

I think you have the filters in the right order. You want the larger filter (60 micron)in front of the pump and you want the smaller (finer) filter between the pump and the regulator.