Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Spare or excess parts

Everybody here is aware that these rope shaft cars are being modified with front disc brakes using the scarebird adapter as well as rear "back-half" of replacing the transaxle with a conventional drivetrain. So my quest is to have any owners of the modified cars make available the stock parts that they have removed. It is a challenge to maintain these cars in factory form and even if the removed parts are worn, some can be rebuilt or repaired. The engineering that Pontiac put into these cars is quite interesting. It's great that Ames now has many parts available but that also has some limitations. Don't get me wrong! I love the modified versions and envy the fun value they have. I too like the smell of burning rubber. I once made up a budget figure to modify mine as my diff was getting nasty. I was about to go shopping but found a complete stock rolling drivetrain as my source. I got lucky. So if anybody has available leftover parts, just enter a heads up here on this post or provide a link to a classified ad. Mine is complete but I know there must be others that could use those parts.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Members of this board are pretty good at offering used parts before scrapping them. That said, not everyone has space to store large parts for extended periods of time. Some do get scrapped.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think most guys like to hang on to parts. But if someone really needs something then they may offer to sell. Most of the time I forget what I have.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
I think most guys like to hang on to parts. But if someone really needs something then they may offer to sell. Most of the time I forget what I have.
Ain't that the truth... If I ever get organized I'd know what I should keep and what to make available.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
Yes I am also guilty of hoarding parts. Especially the hard to find stuff. When you convert to disc brakes or a conventional drivetrain, most of the parts removed become completely redundant because it would be very difficult to switch back again. Perhaps this thread could also turn into a plea for parts desperately needed. It seems there is always someone that needs a brake drum.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ve converted a 61 and 63 but couldn,t tell ya if I have the drums and parts without climbing up in the loft of my barn. Was just up there a couple days ago but not looking for them.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the wilwoods which is a bolt on. Very easy to switch back. My 63 tempest with ladder bars and Ford 9 inch is also a bolt on and the transaxle could just be bolted back in. Not so with the 61 wagon without cutting some brackets out of the way. Then just bolting back in.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

i gave all my parts to a guy on here from colorado, free, someone here also sent me parts from michigan, free. i agree to give others a chance with there stock cars . Dan

Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great Idea!!! Just posted in the wanted section, I'm looking for a 4 speed differential. And there is a guy looking for a 62. Anyone have a 4 speed differential up in the rafters or out back under the bench. John

Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 AM

I haven't scrapped any of my 4cyl pre-conversion parts.

The engine is buzzing around in member - Blueghoast's 61 wagon as a daily driver.

Blueghoast also has the transaxle in storage for future parts or may become a museum piece at a local hot rod attraction. He also has the bare front 4 cyl k-memeber

Front brake assemblies are in use on member - Paul Yemen's 63 auto car.

The A arms have been refurbished and are back on my car with my old one as spares.

I kept the front drums off the 4-cyl front ens as the hub sections are needed for a scarebird conversion thus spares or help out any friends that need them.

Nothing went to waste/scrap!

Todd

Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

Peter has some parts here that would be a shame to see tossed out. I know someone out there needs them.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=734842

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default saved parts

Pete will not have to scrap the brake drum/backing plate as I bought them. May use the drums on the back of the wife's car to have finned drums all the way around. Thanks Pete.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm hunting a 63 3 spd and torque tube for v8 car. Operating condition preferred, must be out of a v8 car. PM your price.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1963 cross over parts

Dave, You can use the ropeshaft from a 4 cylinder 3 speed car as it is the same length (81.945") and diameter (.750") as the v8. The torque tubes are even the same length (73.54"), but the v8 tube metal is thicker (.090" vs. .054"). The v8 automatic tube is the same length and thickness as the 3 speed tube.

So, if you can't get a complete v8 3 speed torque tube and ropeshaft, use a v8 automatic torque tube and 4 cylinder 3 speed ropeshaft.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Want a 1 stop purchase.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think I know of one. It's up here in Minnesota. I'll call the guy and see if it's for sale if you what me to. John

Old 11-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PM Sent I think you are going to be a lucky dog!!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. Wish it were for me personally. You and I were just match makers in this deal.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM

I have complete driveline just removed from a '63 lemans engine to transaxle. I would love to sell all together.