Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Senior Chief

Hi Carmine,

I was at a similar point 20 years ago with my then stock '71 T-37. I could either try to get more out of the stock original 350 2V, or put something else in it. I chose to build a car using an article that appeared in High Performance Pontiac around 1995. It was about Jim Hand's '71 wagon and another guy's '70 Tempest/LeMans. I followed that recipe as closely as I could...found a standard big car 455 block, sourced a pair of the '71 #96 heads that you already have, an 068 cam, and built it almost exactly as described in that article. I also sourced a TH-400 like you have and a 3.31 12 bolt rear just as the '70 LeMans had in the article (I think the wagon had 3.55 gears at that time). I used an Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750, and Ram Air III manifolds with Flowmaster two chamber mufflers.

The result was a 455 with approximately 9.3:1 compression that never pings on premium unleaded, idles smoothly, lights up the rear tires as much as I want, throws me and my passengers back in our seats, barks second, and cruises wherever I want reliably. According to that article, and after speaking to Dan Jensen, I should be making about 375 horsepower and more importantly a strong 500 lb/ft of torque. It does exactly what I have always wanted it to do. Like you, way back then I thought I might bracket race it occasionally. Never happened. It just goes to local cruises and shows. Like a gentleman. With pretty big muscles

I hope this helps and you figure out what direction to go. If you have the means to build such a power plant and store your original 400, I know you will not be disappointed.

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs