THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default USPS Flat Rate Box

This just happened earlier in the week.

I machined some rollers for a coin press for a local fellow that winters over in the Virgin Islands. He wanted them sent to the VI via the USPS, says he always has issues UPS and Fedex delivering down there. So they get boxed up, labeled and it weighs in at 12 lbs. the box measures 5” x 6” x 10”. This size and weight package would be 12 – 14 bucks or so with UPS or Fedex (I have accounts with both).

So my guy takes the package to the post office and they want $41 to send this package priority (my packaging and label already affixed) then the clerk says that if he puts it in a 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Flat Rate Box it will only be $16.10.

The clerk proceeds to put my box in the Flat Rate Box, seals it up and prints a new label and charges the $16.10.

So I have to wonder how the USPS can put all that additional effort along with the packaging materials into this parcel and then charge less than half of what it would have cost without all of that additional effort.

I’m not getting it.

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 03-17-2022, 03:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The size of box needed is 60X15X15. Also very fragle and subject to bending in the middle. If that happens, it is now junk.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorg1 View Post
..So I have to wonder how the USPS can put all that additional effort along with the packaging materials into this parcel and then charge less than half of what it would have cost without all of that additional effort... Dave
The flat rate box sizes are standardized so mechanical handling can be used, reducing labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
The size of box needed is 60X15X15. Also very fragle and subject to bending in the middle. If that happens, it is now junk.
A lightweight crate may be in order here, or a box made of triple ply corrugated.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remember that 'The UPS Store' is NOT really UPS......

The UPS Store and Kinko's charge you just about double the standard UPS / FEDEX rates - someone has to pay for all those employees to smile and be helpful.

Kinkos also is NOT FEDEX - they've just got a working relationship and they make money on top of what FEDEX would charge you on the FEDEX website.

We ship a TON of stuff using USPS Priority Mail flat-rate. The USPS insurance is a lot more expensive, so, on some high-dollar items, it's better to go with UPS.

Here's a trick to save you some money when using UPS: Use the Promo Code 'SOAR'.

It saves you 20% on the basic freight charge, and, I think, 40% on 2nd Day and Overnight. But only on the actual freight charge, so if your total is $50, and $10 of that is insurance or special handling, you will only get 20% off of the $40 base charge, or $8.

Hey, every little bit helps, right? $8 is almost a gallon of gas these days.....

Old 03-18-2022, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default UPS just changed the promo code.

New promo code is 'SPARK'

Saves you 25% on Ground and 45% on Next Day, 2nd Day or 3 Day service.

Again, they only discount the actual freight charge, not any insurance or additional fees.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2022, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe .... how does a person find out what the current promo code is day to day ?

Update: Found it on the UPS website.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I machined some rollers for a coin press for a local fellow that winters over in the Virgin Islands. He wanted them sent to the VI via the USPS, says he always has issues UPS and Fedex delivering down there. So they get boxed up, labeled and it weighs in at 12 lbs. the box measures 5” x 6” x 10”. This size and weight package would be 12 – 14 bucks or so with UPS or Fedex (I have accounts with both).

So my guy takes the package to the post office and they want $41 to send this package priority (my packaging and label already affixed) then the clerk says that if he puts it in a 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Flat Rate Box it will only be $16.10.

The clerk proceeds to put my box in the Flat Rate Box, seals it up and prints a new label and charges the $16.10.

So I have to wonder how the USPS can put all that additional effort along with the packaging materials into this parcel and then charge less than half of what it would have cost without all of that additional effort.

I’m not getting it.

Dave
Over 2 lbs, best to check flat rate unless its regional.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

I’m not getting it.

Dave
I had almost the same thing happen at our little post office. Keep in mind I live in a very small town out in the country & the folks at the post office are never busy. The lady gave me the same advise & saved me $20 + dollars on something I shipped recently, so when I left I grabbed a couple of extra priority flat rate boxes for the next few long ones!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 03-23-2022, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

Check with Fastenal. They will accept palleted freight and ship store-to-store for pickup. I have used them for a differential and also a door and fender. The rates were quite good. Last time I used them (2017) was to ship a complete '70 12-bolt differential from Indiana to Texas and the total cost was $175.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures

Last edited by tekuhn; 03-23-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:28 PM

I’ve been using Pirateship a fair amount lately with good luck. Have used Fastenal to ship large parts, but our local store closed a few months ago due to lack of staff. Next closet one is over an hour away,

Old 03-25-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Gone to the pump lately ?

#2 diesel prices are at an all time national record average high.
How long do you think the increase can be absorbed and not passed along ?
I am on the road every day hauling.

Jim

Old 03-25-2022, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guy!For example,my son imports from China,March 2020 a 40 ft container was $2000,now they are $20000!Get used to this crap!Tom

Old 03-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

Everything has gone crazy.

Shopping for a new car is nothing in stock, and crazy dealer markups or “dealer added accessories.”
Going out to eat my brisket sandwich has gone from 10.95 to 18.95. With other menu items similar price increases and some items no longer on the menu.
There is always common stuff not in stock in the grocery store and tons of price increases.
Something I just went to the post office for required shipping about 2.5x what it used to cost to ship.
Gas, diesel, heating oil, lumber, seed, fertilizer, you name it.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
The Following User Says Thank You to ramairthreegto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Guy!For example,my son imports from China,March 2020 a 40 ft container was $2000,now they are $20000!Get used to this crap!Tom
Which Port does he import to?
So cal ports have stupid management and Union rules making it hard for them to get ahead. Add some constant pushing for a higher fee on empties.
Talked to Steve Ames about this a bunch of years ago and the west coat has become much worse.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
#2 diesel prices are at an all time national record average high.
How long do you think the increase can be absorbed and not passed along ?
I am on the road every day hauling.

Jim
Some "Blue" states for this conversation are pushing for a customer gas rebate check from the Feds. Some areas of the world are temp suspending gas taxes.
Shipping by Steam engine is looking good ,..

Old 03-28-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
I recently shipped a similar sized box, about 50 pounds. I used my FedEx account. I packed myself. Cost was under $70.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 03-17-2024, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Ames: Just set up an order for $288worth of parts Mostly small items with 1 large not heavy item, cardboard trunk divider. Quote for shipping was $140.00!! Damn, I’m only 1 state away!! Dollar value wise shows $35 normal charge. I try to use Ames as much as possible but with others offering discount and free shipping off and on my order was cancelled….. Very disappointing.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently shipped a distributor cross-country, the box was small and insured for $200. I was expecting it to cost about $18, it cost me over $27.

When I was very young, I had a 1967 Mercury Cougar that I converted from a 289 automatic to a 351W 4-spd. I bought several parts cars to get all the parts I needed in the early 1980s, and stashed them away at my parent's house. Cougar parts aren't extremely expensive, and shipping cost more than the actual parts. I took some to a swap meet several years back, but there aren't a lot of Cougar guys out there. I ended up take a lot of the Cougar stuff to the recycling yard and selling it by the pound.

I've pretty much stopped sellinganything lately because shipping costs have become so exorbitant.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
Ames: Just set up an order for $288worth of parts Mostly small items with 1 large not heavy item, cardboard trunk divider. Quote for shipping was $140.00!! Damn, I’m only 1 state away!! Dollar value wise shows $35 normal charge. I try to use Ames as much as possible but with others offering discount and free shipping off and on my order was cancelled….. Very disappointing.
Oversize charge for the long box is what jacked the price up. Gotta think outside the box. Going to need a package tray or two, a few package trays for local friends. Having multiples shipped in the same box gets the shipping cost down per item.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We run into this daily trying to get the best price for our customers.

It is to the point where it is more cost effective for a customer to come after something heavy, like a tripower, rather than ship.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.