Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Butler 400 block & rotating assembly

Ok, seeing ive had my 455 rebuilt twice, 2007 & 2010, both issues with excessive oil usage and leaking rear main seals..............was thinking of getting a 400 block from butler with there rotating assembly package..................any one running this, i see for just the rotating assembly its 2 grand...........and if you do the block with a forged crank, somewhere in the $5600 range..........now this come unassembled, just wondering if anyone has done this and had no issues...........

Rich

Old 08-24-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was your 455 "Align bored" ? What year is the block?
A guy I know ordered a rotating assy from Butler and it was perfect.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Was your 455 "Align bored" ? What year is the block?
A guy I know ordered a rotating assy from Butler and it was perfect.
That is a good question.........the block is from a 70 455...........will try to see if it was align bored or not.............

Quess it really doesnt matter one way or the other..............two rebuilds on the same block and issues with both................wasnt like i threw these together by myself, both by pontiac builders...............im not gonna bad mouth either one.

Thought with going with a 400 block and starting out new, hopefully so better results.

Emailed Butler, seems they are booked up for 2022, then they only do full motors, then long blocks, then assembled short blocks.............pretty much saying your not gonna get anything done in 2023..............options are limited as of now.........15-20 grand for a motor, which i have half the parts already.............or just throw away your stuff and buy ours and shut up.

I just sit and shake my head,.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtorich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 06:56 PM

look at lenwilliamsautomachine.com. He builds a "455" short block with a 400 block and likely the same rotating assembly that Butler sells for $4600. I have a friend running his 455 long block upgraded to forged rods and Ross pistons with his go-to 041 cam and rhodes lifters and it is a great stout street engine.

The Following User Says Thank You to 62posbonny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Why not check with a reputable builder nearby that might be able to fix what you have or supply you with what you need? PaulK is not too far away from you...I am sure there might be others nearby also....

The Following User Says Thank You to ID67goat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Why not check with a reputable builder nearby that might be able to fix what you have or supply you with what you need? PaulK is not too far away from you...I am sure there might be others nearby also....
That was the route i was gonna take with Paul K, except he is in the process of moving to texas as of now.............With the builders near me, it seems hit or miss..........

I was hoping someone went with the Butler route i noted..........im a little nervous of all the parts they supply...............im assuming the block is top notch, they dont assemble the short block for you............was told complet motors 1st, long blocks 2nd...........then short blocks, so that could be some time.

Hard to believe with the quality of these parts, that everything is just gonna fit perfect.

Rich

Old 08-25-2022, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i bought a forged stroker kit for a 400 from butler, then just used one of my own blocks & had a local shop ive used for 25+ years do the short block. i assemble the rest which is not hard to do with basic tools. saves a ton of money & you can verify the work being done for everything else. the short block assembly usually comes with some type of warranty from most reputable shops & the average street assembly is not that expensive.

i actually had what i thought was a rear main leak after getting it in the car & running, shop had me bring it back & replaced the BOP rear main & regasketed the oil pan for free, got it home & back in the car, it leaked worse than the first time! called them up & without any hassle they had me bring it back & checked it out, turns out it was the rear rubber U seal on the oil pan that was leaking, my 1st install of the pan was better than theirs, which i found kinda funny. the milodon pan i have uses the old 3 prong type single bead U seal & it rolled over during install. spoke to mr P body who said to use the 1/4" thick cork rear U pan seal, been dry for 6+ years now. the shop wanted to do a run in to verify no leaks before they released it which meant hooking it up to their dyno... got a few free dyno pulls out of the deal.

point is, its a lot cheaper to go with a reputable local shop, if/when theres a problem most good shops will stand behind their work. doesnt need to be a "pontiac" shop, most good shops will know pontiacs & all other makes of engines.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 11:15 AM
Senior Chief

I have a 455 I will be posting for sale soon if you're interested in a purchase of something freshly rebuilt?

Send me a private message with your mobile and I'll send you info.

The motor is NW of Chicago. Not far from Oshkosh, WI.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7837.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	597173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7846.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	597174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7848.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	597175  

Last edited by Apache Warrior; 08-25-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i had far better luck with a local guy who made fun of me for building a pontiac than a well-known pontiac shop. engine had to be pulled at least 3 times after getting it back from the pontiac shop, has not been pulled since the local guy fixed the issues.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
they dont assemble the short block for you.........
Their website says they sell assembled short blocks. Are you mixing up short blocks with the unassembled rotating assemblies they also sell?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-25-2022, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was in a similar situation in the spring...70 455 needed complete rebuild plus crank vs buying new.

I talked to Len and Butler and countless others. It was going to be at least a six month wait for a short block and they wanted my core from Canada. It would have ruined summer for sure.

It was way over my budget any way a sliced it so gambled on a used 74 455 that I had to ship from several states over.

Worked out ok, except for the leaking main seal but my old one leaked for twenty years anyway so I'm used to it...lol

Old 08-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i once heard someone say that you should worry about an old car not when there is a spot on the ground from a leak, but when there isn't, because that means it is dry!

Old 08-25-2022, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Their website says they sell assembled short blocks. Are you mixing up short blocks with the unassembled rotating assemblies they also sell?
Karl, not mixing it up, they do sell assembled short blocks, but i was told only after the complete total engine, then long blocks, then they will do assembled short blocks, so im assuming quite a wait for that..................as of now for their supplied block and rotating assembly that you put together.......18-20 weeks out for that.

Stuff is getting so confusing, seen a few posts of just fixing what you have...........sounds like good advice..............and if this block i have is bad for whatever reason, i have a spare 455 block, i assume i would have it honed to .035 seeing its already .030, bought it that way a while back.............but it was bored without a torque plate...........probably the cheapest way to go..........just transfer whatever is good to the other block.

Rich

Old 08-25-2022, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
i once heard someone say that you should worry about an old car not when there is a spot on the ground from a leak, but when there isn't, because that means it is dry!
Had a good laugh on that................my rear main never leaks on the garage floor, lets just say my car will never rust with all that oil flying around on the underside of the car.

Old 08-25-2022, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Had a good laugh on that................my rear main never leaks on the garage floor, lets just say my car will never rust with all that oil flying around on the underside of the car.
Haha...same...that one is going in the vault

Old 08-25-2022, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

All those radial engine pilots say that. as long as it still dripping there must be oil in it!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I've done a block + rotating assembly from Butler before, paid more for a 'performance' block, forged rotating assembly. Pretty sure it was a '71 block.

I had minor variances on the rod big ends but nothing critical, have the build sheet for specific info, but it's buried right now, I'm moving too. But know I got about 100k hard miles out of it, and swapped another in. When I tore it down it was running fine, and didn't find a thing wrong with it other than normal wear.

As I recall, the block was pretty filthy, and had to clean the heck out of it. No complaints on the machine work that I recall.

I would do it again if I were in a somewhat of a time-crunch. When I did this it was like early 2000s, and it was about 5-6 weeks to my door.

As I recall you can send them your block, too.

EDIT: I sprayed that engine a bunch, between 175-250 shots.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-29-2022, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did order main studs, and they did hone the saddles with the main studs, or at least they told me they did. The box did look opened and the studs did look handled.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 08-29-2022, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone looked into these 2 problems without building a new\ different engine?

Old 08-30-2022, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, excessive oil leakage and leaking rear main seal is usually from an inoperable PCV and/or ring blow-by, but no, no one has yet commented on that.

OP - What rear seal was used, condition of your PCV, and how many miles on the existing engine? When it was last rebuilt, was an OE crank used?