The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64-65 quarter panels

Just got off the phone with AMD installation center in Cleveland GA. That's only about 45 minutes from me so as soon as I can get the motor and transmission out and get some things stripped I am gonna take it over there and drop it off. They said they would have the quarter panels ready the end of the month.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the quarter panels will be for sale at the end of the month but the shop is booked till December so I got some time to do some other things like wiring.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you get a price on the panels?

Just curious...I finally hunted down a good cut-off. Good luck with your project - I think it would be great to have the people who make the part fit it up. Worth waiting till December.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 PM

64Speed, You said that you need to do the wiring, did you talk to them about how the car needs to be when you drop it off. Every car there is completely gutted

Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it will be gutted by the time it gets there.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I talked to Craig today and he said we have a problem. While AMD did reproduce the quarter panels they didnt reproduce the drop offs. He said he is having trouble finding suitable ones to install and without them he wont take on the job. So basically AMD will be making something that their own shop wont install. I called Graverobbers Sheetmetal and am waiting for a call back to see what they do about this situation as they say they have been doing A bodies for years. Craig also said he couldnt find a deck filler panel but I went on Ebay and found one from Tamraz in less than 5 minutes so who knows.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Craig has decide he doesn't want to do it. That's when you decide you don't want him to do it either! When I'm in a situation like that, I don't walk away...I run.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I think I am gonna go with Graverobbers or my local shop depending on their estimate. But still if the AMD shop wont install what they sell thats not very confidence inspiring.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Sounds like Craig has decide he doesn't want to do it. That's when you decide you don't want him to do it either! When I'm in a situation like that, I don't walk away...I run.
I agree with you 100 percent but it's just like all the other horror stories you hear about body shops. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He hasn't even seen my car yet and he was already bad mouthing the parent company for not making the drop offs, who knows if my car even needs them. The shop I have coming to look at my car next week is a primarily insurance type shop but they've done two small projects for me in the past and they were good so if they are reasonable in their estimate I guess the job goes to them. I probably won't buy the AMD quarters either cause I really only need the skins which are already available from numerous sources. Just seems like a whole lot of hype for a big let down.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As far as I know there is no business connection between AMD and the AMD installation center. They are independent companies.

Don

Old 06-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's my understanding also.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I agree with you 100 percent but it's just like all the other horror stories you hear about body shops. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. He hasn't even seen my car yet and he was already bad mouthing the parent company for not making the drop offs, who knows if my car even needs them. The shop I have coming to look at my car next week is a primarily insurance type shop but they've done two small projects for me in the past and they were good so if they are reasonable in their estimate I guess the job goes to them. I probably won't buy the AMD quarters either cause I really only need the skins which are already available from numerous sources. Just seems like a whole lot of hype for a big let down.
Before you buy the skins look at both. I have not yet seen the AMD quarters but I here they are a nice copy. The skins that have been on the market for years are bad, real bad. To refit your wheel lip trim the best thing you can do is also buy the small patch panels and weld them to the quarter skins.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well now I dont know what to do because I talked to Craig again and he wants me to send him pictures of my drop offs so he can be aided in his decision as to whether he wants to take the job on or not. I am kinda torn, a man that puts that much thought in it makes you feel like he wants to do it right but at the same time it can come across as not really laziness but an attitude that if its not a run of the mill job he doesnt want to put in the extra work. I will probably order the AMD quarters because I have heard other people say the skins are junk too but I am beginning to understand why people hate the body work stage of restoration.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would add that the reputation of AMD restoration parts is very good. I know a few Mopar guys that swear their stuff is spot-on.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 PM

I can tell you from experience that Craig will do it right. I know why he is skeptical about the drop offs , mine was the 1st 67 Gto he did the said the trunk floor and drop offs were not right. He had to modify them to make them fit, which he did not charge me for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	456575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	456576  

Old 06-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok so how do I convince him to cut his teeth on the new 64 panels

Old 06-10-2017, 02:25 AM

Send him the pictures of your drop offs. And send him one of your tail panel too. The more pictures the better, so he can get a good idea of what he has to work with.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed a set of quarter patch panels,trunk floors and wheel houses on my 64 last year. Naturally I had to install new drop offs. The ones available (sold) for the 64-65 I was told are actually for the 66-67. The are very similar in shape but definitely not a weld in piece. They are to long and need to be shortened to fit the front and rear contours properly. I cut it in the middle and removed a small amount from the middle (don't remember the amount) and welded it back together and it fit nice. nobody will know but me LOL.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacguy View Post
I installed a set of quarter patch panels,trunk floors and wheel houses on my 64 last year. Naturally I had to install new drop offs. The ones available (sold) for the 64-65 I was told are actually for the 66-67. The are very similar in shape but definitely not a weld in piece. They are to long and need to be shortened to fit the front and rear contours properly. I cut it in the middle and removed a small amount from the middle (don't remember the amount) and welded it back together and it fit nice. nobody will know but me LOL.
Awesome. That is getting the job done.

Don

Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64speed, sometimes it's better to take the time to get all the information before we make a decision. First, as has been posted, even though Craig's company is called 'The AMD Installation Center', they are only related to AMD by the fact that they are an authorized installation center and reseller of AMD products. They have no other business relationships. Second, Craig will not turn out a cobbled up product. I live only a few miles from his shop and have known him casually for many years. If he cannot install those drop offs without cobbling them up then he won't do the job. I would think yours would need to be sandblasted clean for him to take a look at.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT