Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Default starter decision time !

I knew it was coming...original type delco gave up after initial run in last night although I did get over a dozen cranks and fires out of it, once the engine built heat, all over

it will turn eng only when it's cooled down. and even then doesn't sound great (solenoid missed at least once this am)

I was figuring I would end up replacing this starter.

Are the minis similar ? I have read good things about the robbmc here

I am not sure what brand ames sells (they are closer to me so I may get it sooner)
Does anyone know about the preform mini ?
Is there a delco starter worth considering ?

I have the heat shield and bracket for this one, so I was preferring to keep the original style....but don't want to keep replacing starters often (even if delco remans are under $40)

thanks

Last edited by steverino; 08-29-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You couldnt pay me to install a normal starter anymore..... just based on the weight of the freakin things....

I would do the RobbMC....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I knew it was coming...original type delco gave up after initial run in last night although I did get over a dozen cranks and fires out of it, once the engine built heat, all over

it will turn eng only when it's cooled down. and even then doesn't sound great (solenoid missed at least once this am)

I was figuring I would end up replacing this starter.

Are the minis similar ? I have read good things about the robbmc here

I am not sure what brand ames sells (they are closer to me so I may get it sooner)
Does anyone know about the preform mini ?
Is there a delco starter worth considering ?

I have the heat shield and bracket for this one, so I was preferring to keep the original style....but don't want to keep replacing starters often (even if delco remans are under $40)

thanks
Usually the solenoid is the problem, not the starter motor itself. I still run original starters on all my cars, but I also install Napa Echlin "gold" solenoids with heat shields. I understand that they aren't what they used to be anymore (may be imported these days), but so far, I've had no issues. They work fine, although the are heavy and bulky, but they also "sound" correct, unlike some of the mini starters.

In the end, I guess it depends how much you want to spend, and how important original is to you. Considerations...

Hope that helps, and good luck!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have two RobbMC starters. They are light, more powerful and are easily clocked into different positions. Would never go back to a stock GM except for restoration purposes.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed with Mister Pontiac. That, and the wiring TO the starter are where the problems usually are. I run stock GM starters in both of mine without issue, and have for decades. (But I had to hunt down a nasty wiring problem in the '67 that hounded me for years!!) The new mini starters have an excellent reputaion, however, and save a ton of weight. Your call.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RobbMc with a good engine harness and cables.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM

thanks Eric and Jeff
I decided on a mini, not cheap, but I certainly hope it will outperform the $34 delco reman......it just that I don't want to do it again anytime soon. I even thought about the delco $100 reman, but could not find (on our local ac delco warehouse's site ) any noticeable difference in rebuild process, specs or warranty. I am sure the cheap one would have worked for a while, but being a newly rebuilt eng, I am figuring my tyemps will be on the higher side

I actually debated on the "sound" of the starter as a consideration since i'm sure there will be a noticeable difference , but it will be less noticeable than the dreadfully slow crank this starter has at operating temp when trying to restart

I did go through this entire eng harness when I modded it to reroute for the ram air manifolds so I should be ok there. batt is new as are batt cables with good ground at block

I suppose I can go back to an original starter down the road if necessary, but this car is a non orig drivetrain anyway, otherwise, I would have leaned towards staying with the delco

I'm curious are you guys running ram air exh mans or headers with the delco starters ?

My previous car had headers and I think there was more air space around starter than with these 2.5" ra mans....anyway, I never did have a problem with that one starting hot (67 400 670 heads)

If I had stuck with log manifolds I think I may have stayed with the delco as well

btw, the starter solenoid only failed to engage one time, but the motor itself is so slow, in my experience that usually indicates issues within the starter drive motor rather than the solenoid ?

in any case, at least it worked for the break in run , but like most parts that I received with this car, it is not up to the task. I may not be buying a car in pieces again for QUITE a while !

Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The starter/solenoid worst enemy is a weak starting battery.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A heated (hot) starter wire will have more resistance, which means less current, which equals a slower starter. That's why HO cars route the starter wire differently to get it away from the heat. You can't go wrong with either starter, but if you want to run the original type, check or just replace the wire(s). A poor quality or the wrong gauge wire will cause the poor starter performance that you describe. (Assuming battery, solenoid, and starter are not defective.) The ground wire from the battery to the engine is also just as important and should be suspect. It has to pass the same amount of current as the positive wire when the starter is engaged.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive got the RobbMc unit. Its nice. I highly recommend it.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
I'm curious are you guys running ram air exh mans or headers with the delco starters ?
Steve,

I actually run all three combinations... I have log manifolds on my Bonne and LeMans (no solenoid heat shields either, incidentally), both 100% stock. But I have Ram Air manifolds on my 428 wagon, and headers on my 455 GTO.

I have heat shields (solenoid AND starter) on the GTO with zero issues in the last two decades. Again, it also has an older Napa Echlin "gold" solenoid, so no issues I can recall.

In the 428 in the wagon, no heat shields yet, but that may be coming. I'm just now noticing an occasional moment when the solenoid won't work on a hot start (never a problem on a cold start). So shields and a new "gold" solenoid may be in the wagon's future. We'll see how she acts as winter comes on, and the associated cooler temps...

All that to say, I hope you're happy with you're lightweight starter. I'm sure it will serve you well as I see mostly positive reviews on it.

I'll keep pressing on with my factory units for now. It can quickly get expensive retrofitting an entire fleet...

Good luck!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3